Old 21st June 2010, 17:00   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

A local conversion on the Padmini spotted in Bombay

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-0.jpg
Old 16th July 2011, 00:35   #32

Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I remember Premier Padmini having an estate version called Safari...can any one post its pics.
Well hello guys ! Well, here are a few photos of my pride and joy, a single owner 1982 Fiat Safari, recently restored (though the restoration is a work in progress with some finer touches still pending) and in as original a condition as I could manage. If someone spots anything that is out of place, I would love to know about it and rectify it !! Also, any information on this car is welcomed !!

As a child, I spent countless miles sleeping in the boot of this car while my family went on vacations. Now she leads a life of splendid retirement, with all of us doting over her, never leaving her unattended in a public place and going for the occasional drive in on a lazy Sunday evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-1.jpg  

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-2.jpg  

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-3.jpg  

parthmehd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 09:47   #33
BANNED

Wonderfull!!!! The seats are still factory fresh!

Whats the history of this car?
EARTHed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 09:33   #34

I am on the verge of picking up a 1962 Fiat 1100 ( Super Select) . It is is running condition & about 85% OE ( original equipment). Would be grateful if fellow members could help me in procuring parts for restoration of the car.
Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 10:57   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakurma View Post
I am on the verge of picking up a 1962 Fiat 1100 ( Super Select) .
Thanks
Buy the FIAT asap. Parts will slowly flow in.
EARTHed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 12:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthmehd View Post
Well hello guys ! Well, here are a few photos of my pride and joy, a single owner 1982 Fiat Safari, recently restored (though the restoration is a work in progress with some finer touches still pending) and in as original a condition as I could manage. If someone spots anything that is out of place, I would love to know about it and rectify it !! Also, any information on this car is welcomed !!
Congratulations on a fine example of a rare Fiat these days (I assume your's was built by Starline) - I have been looking for one since a long time, but unable to find one.

I particularly like the period colour shade - was she always in this colour? And since you have had the car from new, can you tell me if the owner's manual was seperate for the wagons, i.e. did the illustration of the station wagon find a place in the manual?

Your car should sport hubcaps and side indicators like the ones fitted below.

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-1.jpg

Additionally, I think the side lamps should also be clear lens.

I can also see that the frame for the original taillights has been retained - these usually fell apart in no time (and looking at the screws, probably your's did too), your's is very rare to see. Might I suggest replacing the screws with black ones to blend in? Also were those roof rails present from the beginning? And did your car have Starline script badges on the sides?

Happy motoring.
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi dear,
1. Why do you call this a "Fiat" Safari instead of "Premier" Safari. In 1982, they were divorced
2. The side lamps should be clear glass (as rightly pointed by Karlosdeville)
3. Wipers are still missing (I tell you everytime when I see your car)
4. The tyres are looking really dull and faded. You need to change to get the classic & fresh look. Also they are too old. You are running the risk of bursting.
5. The glasses are all scratched. Get them re-buffed. It will make them look new plus the glare from windshield (front & rear) will vanish.

Bye for now-
And do drive it man. Never seen you driving after its restored. You are killing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
can you tell me if the owner's manual was seperate for the wagons, i.e. did the illustration of the station wagon find a place in the manual?

And did your car have Starline script badges on the sides?
Hello,
I too had the same car of 1982 make as Parth has. Unfortunately, my father & grandfather (jointly) sold it off as we were short of parking space due to newly acquired Maruti Zen in 1998. It was sold of for Rs. 15,000/- which till date i'm repenting

There was no special manual for this version. Only a small red booklet for the warranty was issued separetely with the standard instruction book. It's printed 'Premier Driveaway Chassis' on the cover.
The roof-rails in Parth's car are unique to that piece only. Mine did not have those. Parth's car has it because it was a display model in the showroom back then. It also has the polished alluminium strips on the hood -
Parth: Need a detailed picture of that please.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd July 2011 at 18:18. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As a child, I spent countless miles sleeping in the boot of this car while my family went on vacations. Now she leads a life of splendid retirement, with all of us doting over her, never leaving her unattended in a public place and going for the occasional drive in on a lazy Sunday evening.
This looks like a STARLINE MOTORS Tardeo product, of late seventies they used to have their logo at the tailgate. Pls correct me if I am wrong.Regards
Old 4th September 2011, 11:02   #39
BHPian

Here is the owner's manual of my 1982 Premier Safari (now sold).
Notice the instruction to "Check water level DAILY"
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-dsc03299.jpg  

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-dsc03298.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 20:33   #40

Hi all,

I am in the process of restoring a Fiat super select (1962) . Having problems sourcing ;
1. Front seat
2. Indicator levers
3. Found the original speedometer, hope it is working and the man sells it!
4. Beading for the bonnet
5. Would love White wall tyres
6. Door handle
7. Hubcaps

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 6th September 2011, 01:53   #41
BHPian

here is one Fiat Station Wagon original italian import we had

[ATTACH]530100[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]530101[ATTACH]
Old 6th September 2011, 18:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hi dear,
1. Why do you call this a "Fiat" Safari instead of "Premier" Safari. In 1982, they were divorced
Dear Mr.K.K.Vaidya - PAL separated from FIAT in 1972. The first Premier President cars were made in 1972. I remember seeing them with the Padmini type bumpers and "Premier President" logos in Kurla plant in 1972 when I had gone to the plant with my parents on their "shareholder's visit". I was in school at that time. I saw cars in "pearl ash" colour.

Dear all - "Premier Safari" was known as "PDA" (Premier Driveaway Chassis) inside Kurla plant. The first car was delivered to actor Shatrughan Sinha from the Tardeo showroom of Starline Motors by my very good rallying friend and dealership owner Deepak Chopra. I was standing next to Deepak when he handed over the keys. The car had a vertical back like the one Karl has posted here (photographed behind Rustom Framna Agiary road in Parsi Colony Dadar) and it was blue in colour.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th September 2011 at 18:22.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 16:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.K.K.Vaidya - PAL separated from FIAT in 1972.
Dear Behram bhai,
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. I really like to read articles reminiscing the Premier era.
BTW, my meaning of saying "In 1982, they were divorced" is that in that particular year, Parth had bought the car. So at that point of time, Fiat was no more related to Premier.
Also i would like to know more about the rally prepared PDA. What were the changes done to improve the car?
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 20:31   #44
BHPian

[quote=KkVaidya;2496995]Thanks KkVaidya, for the wonderfull pictures and knowledge we were able to gain from this post.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:14   #45
BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Came across this car today at Sholinganallur toll gate (Chennai). I think it is an old Premier Padmini....
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-premier-padmini.jpg  

r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks