Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi V16 / Shyam,

Great work of saving another Fiat from getting scrapped.

Just wanted to know, how much would a similar condition Milli cost? (On an average). I think, I have seen a milli lying here and would like to check if the owner is ready it sell it off. If the deal strikes, maybe even I will be able to save a FIAT and become a proud member of the FIAT family.
Shyam has been an lucky link between the Fiat admirers and for the cars aswell. I guess this is not the first time he has helped admirers find good Cars (this reminds of the Delight you gave Shyam garu I am still thinking of her).

Please go ahead and succeed in striking the deal and if not you know well who to be struck (just kidding) and be the messiah for that poor Italian beauty which doesn't deserve the sad status and become one of the proud owner and its legacy.
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:27   #17

Finally we have a thread on this one!! Good Good!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for all the kind words. Full credit must go to Shyam for being so passionate for old cars like this in his youth, he is certainly the Karl(ji) of Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gogi - when do we get to see the car in its present restored state? I liked the colour choice. It looks quite period. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behrambhai, i am counting on your full support and advice on this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
How did they manage to get it on top of the truck in the first place ?
My thoughts exactly. I am still puzzled, as the truck driver and cleaner were not able to explain to me.... language barrier, they knew no language i spoke or understood and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well Gogi ji Congratulations and it was a long long wait to see your Millicento. Going by the time line almost every thing would have been done by now and also you would have got most of the parts.
Thanks Manish, this project took a while to aquire, settle and start. The tin work and paints done, ill post pics shortly.

Quote:
If not then there's hope as some one was having a all original, huge tax due parts car .
Boss!! Please, Puh-lease tell me. Pl PM me the details asap. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
@ V-16 : Congratulations on the acquisition!! I'd read something about the "Dukkar Twins" posted by you on "the mole"'s restoration thread, I suppose. So, when do we get to see the other twin?
Thanks Marcus.

Yes, there is another one, a centre-light. Tin work starts shortly on that one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Vow! That's the Top Thread of 2010 perhaps! An entertaining, partial thriller with lots and lots of information by Gogi and Shyam.
I am sure the Dukkar will be restored to its original glory as it is back at Mumbai after some 55 years perhaps! And Mumbai is the best place for the old goody spares of the Dukkar and countless other cars.
If the Dukkar was in Govt Service it could have even claimed High Altitude Travelling Allowance!
LOL!!! Thanks Anjan. Looking forward to your advice and valuable inputs.
Yes Mumbai remains as the best place to source parts of these cars...as yet but fast disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congrats Gogi bhai. Been some time since we spoke. Will look forward to this restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Congrats Gogi bhai....

I am sure this one will be one of the best car.

All the best
Thanks Guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, it would be interesting to know how these cars were sent to the respective showrooms in different states all over India. I understand (as mentioned by karl once) that until 1957, they had arrived directly to Bombay fully assembled, by steamer. So were they then sent to the different dealerships from b'bay?
Wow i didnt know that. So these were CBU's back then huh? Very interesting.

Shyam thanks for the rest of the story and the video. I will add that to my records on this car.

In the pic i can see the rims, drums and the original pedals, the thug cleaned this out. Anyways God bless him. If you ever find similar ones, kindly pick them up on my behalf.

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd March 2010 at 02:23.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Shyam has been an lucky link between the Fiat admirers and for the cars aswell. I guess this is not the first time he has helped admirers find good Cars (this reminds of the Delight you gave Shyam garu I am still thinking of her).

Please go ahead and succeed in striking the deal and if not you know well who to be struck (just kidding) and be the messiah for that poor Italian beauty which doesn't deserve the sad status and become one of the proud owner and its legacy.
This is how it turns to be!

Well, it would really help if I know an approximate cost to expect before going to the owner.

Shyam/V16/Karl/Behram any inputs?
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

......Continued......

moving on from where we left, the damage to the lights was very disheartening. It was obvious that it was due to sheer negligence on the part of the carrier. Also the things missing were observed later as i didnt know Shyam had put them there. Now it was too late to go and find out.

What really saddened me was that the car while in its stint at the garage, was the victim of vandalism. Someone deliberately took the time and pain to smash all the meter glasses on the car. Why would anyone have done this? What grudge did they have against me or the car especially since no one except Shyam knew that i had bought the car? Im confused at such an irresponsible and mindless act.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06630-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06632-800x600.jpg

Anyways the car was straight delivered to a friend's garage where she was parked till we decided on what colour to give her.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06640-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06627-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06626-800x600.jpg

Many discussions followed and i was clear. I did not want the car to be Black as every other Millicento in India shared the colour. I liked what The Mole had done to his car but then that was the colour i was contemplating for my other Millicento, the 1957.

Various sessions of sitting on the net i came across this colour. It was different and looked good on the car so i decided that this would be it. A darker shade of an Olive and Dark green. I dont know what it was called

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-fiat01g.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-fiat15g.jpg

Check out the interior of this car. If i can even come close to getting it to look like this ill be thrilled.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-fiat05g.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-fiat07g.jpg

there is a similar placed cut out for a radio in my car too but i wonder if i should fill it up or leave it to put a period radio like here

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-fiat09g.jpg

or leave the place to put in the uber elusive "Millicento" plaque as in this pristine Delhi car owned by a fellow Bhpian.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-fiat04go2.jpg

The interiors, all there but uncared for and in shambles.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06634-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06635-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06636-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06637-800x600.jpg

Reservoir and badge need to be taken care of and restored as well.

Name:  DSC06651 800x600.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  69.5 KB
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc06652-800x600.jpg

.......to be continued.......
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Shame on the childish and cruel act whome so ever has done. Poor this has been loosing some or the other parts till date. I hope the meters glass can be replaced. The colour is extremly good along with the upholsery how about a two tone combination with cream on the top and rims, I am lovin it! All the very best for your restoration and hope everything runs smooth.
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

....continued.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Shame on the childish and cruel act whome so ever has done. Poor this has been loosing some or the other parts till date. I hope the meters glass can be replaced. The colour is extremly good along with the upholsery how about a two tone combination with cream on the top and rims, I am lovin it! All the very best for your restoration and hope everything runs smooth.
Thanks Chanu. I am told the meter glasses can be replaced. I hope they can.

The car in the meanwhile was stripped and colour scrapping and subsequently the tin work was started.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-16052009945-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-16052009946-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-16052009948-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-16052009949-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-04062009984-800x600.jpg
45Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-04062009987-800x600.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-04062009988-800x600.jpg

We found a similar colour in the old Fiat's colour charts and did some mixing to arrive at a colour which was finally applied on my car. This is how she looked post tin work and paint a week ago.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-img00268201002231827.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-img00269201002231827.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-img00270201002231828.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-img00275201002231829.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-copy-img00272201002231828.jpg

The hunt for all accessories now starts. Some i have got , some i need desperately like, an extra rim, the headlamps and the parking lamps, wheel caps, the little "Fiat 1100" surround badge for the starter key hole, the "Millicento" plaque on the dash etc, etc. A friend tells me that the rubbers were available from a shop at Opera House till recently and he has an extra set of all round rubbers and channels. God Bless him.

I will be grateful for any inputs on the design of the seats and door panels if someone can post them here. Also need lots of advice from Fiat gurus regarding dos and donts.

Need to source the switches, ivory knobs etc etc etc. HELP!!

Awaiting comments and advice.

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd March 2010 at 15:45.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:06   #23
BHPian

Wow!! That color has come out really well. Even without the windshields, lights, trims, accessories; the glossy finish makes the car look brilliant.

There should now be a sub-forum on T-Bhp dedicated only to restorations and resurrections!!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

After the depressing news of meter glasses being broken and parts missing, the GREEN COLOR brought back the smile on my face.

Superb work Gogi Bhai.!
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What really saddened me was that the car while in its stint at the garage, was the victim of vandalism. Someone deliberately took the time and pain to smash all the meter glasses on the car. Why would anyone have done this? What grudge did they have against me or the car especially since no one except Shyam knew that i had bought the car? Im confused at such an irresponsible and mindless act.

Various sessions of sitting on the net i came across this colour. It was different and looked good on the car so i decided that this would be it. A darker shade of an Olive and Dark green. I dont know what it was called

there is a similar placed cut out for a radio in my car too but i wonder if i should fill it up or leave it to put a period radio like here

or leave the place to put in the uber elusive "Millicento" plaque as in this pristine Delhi car owned by a fellow Bhpian.
Nice to see more updates gogi! Even I was astounded when I saw the pics. of the broken meter glasses today!!!
I do remember the speedo dial had a crack across the glass when the car was parked in our home premises, no doubt the work of some of the kids who used to somehow find our nearly empty parking lot the best place to play then! 'couldnt catch them red-handed though!
But feels even worse to find that the other meter glasses were smashed too! The miscreants didnt even seem to spare the cheap broken-down stereo in the process!

Anyways, I'm glad if the glasses can be replaced!

A real pity again about the missing items from the car's boot! Only the blue rag that was in there is left!

Reg. the dash, I suggest you try for a millecento badge first- jai3033's car ahs one in metal. But equally nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The car in the meanwhile was stripped and colour scrapping and subsequently the tin work was started.

We found a similar colour in the old Fiat's colour charts and did some mixing to arrive at a colour which was finally applied on my car. This is how she looked post tin work and paint a week ago.

Awaiting comments and advice.
The colour choice looks positively fabulous!
On removing the dash trim plate and in other places, you can find the same colour that the car originally seemed to be. But metallic. Is your paint-job done the same?
Also is that the Wurth anti-rust you've used for the underside and insides of doors? 'looks too shiny to be so though.

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd March 2010 at 19:20.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow another interesting restoration thread by Gogi, I am hooked now

The car looks in good shape given her age, I feel sad for the vandalism that she had to suffer :(

Btw is that a stepney holder in the boot?

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2010 at 20:42.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:09   #27
BHPian

Congratulations!

Congrats on the exclusive acquisitions, Gogi!

And, I must say that your colour choice for the Millecento surely looks brilliant and rare. I'm anxious to see the twins completed asap and parked on either side of your "PESHIAL" for a fantastic photoshoot.

You have now tempted me to change the colour of my black millecento to something "HATKE" like this one, when I get ready to restore her from the momentary hibernation.

ALL THE VERY BESHT for a FIATFUL future.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Reg. the dash, I suggest you try for a millecento badge first- jai3033's car ahs one in metal. But equally nice.
That sounds good. Do you have a picture of his car you can post?

Quote:
The colour choice looks positively fabulous!
Thanks.

Quote:
On removing the dash trim plate and in other places, you can find the same colour that the car originally seemed to be. But metallic. Is your paint-job done the same?
I dont understand what you are trying to say? What Metallic colour?

Quote:
Also is that the Wurth anti-rust you've used for the underside and insides of doors? 'looks too shiny to be so though.
Nope, its not Wurth, though i did get the Wurth a few days later, i had no idea the guy is so fast. He had finished the flooring with another rubberized compound paint. On the touch it feels like Wurth though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Btw is that a stepney holder in the boot?
Yup it is Techno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Congrats on the exclusive acquisitions, Gogi!

And, I must say that your colour choice for the Millecento surely looks brilliant and rare. I'm anxious to see the twins completed asap and parked on either side of your "PESHIAL" for a fantastic photoshoot.

You have now tempted me to change the colour of my black millecento to something "HATKE" like this one, when I get ready to restore her from the momentary hibernation.

ALL THE VERY BESHT for a FIATFUL future.
Thanks Ronny Bhai!! Need all the help i can get from you and all Fiat Gurus in this one. Great to hear from you. Now with your inputs and advice we shall make this a near perfect restoration.

Hey Amol, Karl, Suren, and all you Millicento owners, i need you guys here!! NOW!!

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd March 2010 at 20:33.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogibhai thats a great job done with the shiny coat making its appearance on the Dukkar.The story of the meter glasses being vandalised is pathetic.Really the work of some vandal and saddist! He (or was it a she?)seems to have not even spared the small after market fitted ammeter located at a corner.But I am sure you will get the glasses even fabricated, as original ones may be tough to come by.And what about the other meter cover in ivory colour which is missing? Could you get it?
Is that the rubber paint (black one) you have used on the floor? Guess no, because its too shiny.
The thread is getting more and more informative.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:47   #30
BANNED

Aaah. A nice restoration.

Any car will look SUPER COOL just after the paint job. Be careful to have no scratches till you get the car home.

Is this a recent restoration ? Just wondering how come so fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks