Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 17:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hey Carl ,I thought I am the only one who is so obsessed with cars ,but you seem to overtake me , just like a new Merc. overtakes an old truck on expressway
We ,sorry I must see you .Where can I ?
We shall catch up next weekend, shall PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
The BML 9999 seems to have a different grille- is this original or has it been modified?

Also, what type of meters are there in the dash? I seem to remember that the Landmaster had two large circles ( by Smiths, one a speedo with odo, the other a temp and battery gauge) right in front of the driver. The meters were shifted to the centre of the entire console later, in the Ambassador Mark I probably. Am I correct?

There used to be a mascot like 'handle' on the Ambassador Mark I on the bonnet cowl - did the Landmaster not have it?
Regards
True, that is a Mk2 Amby grille fitted currently, easily reversible.

Meters were placed in the centre in the Landmaster too, gold in colour (ambys had dark grey ones).

And nope, it didn't have the handle on the bonnet, that only came in the Amby.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:27   #17
BANNED

Re: A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)

well I almost forgot to update ,

Few months back I sold the car ,

Now its in very good hands , the car couldn't have asked more than that .

he is a BHP member . a distinguished one ( though junior in age but he IS a senior to me in knowledge & enthusiasm )

The Man & machine have got what they rightly deserve

now its up to him to update you , but I am sure I will see the car in much better ,even in best shape .

Sudarshan
Old 18th February 2011, 19:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
well I almost forgot to update ,

Few months back I sold the car ,

Now its in very good hands , the car couldn't have asked more than that .

he is a BHP member . a distinguished one ( though junior in age but he IS a senior to me in knowledge & enthusiasm )

The Man & machine have got what they rightly deserve

now its up to him to update you , but I am sure I will see the car in much better ,even in best shape .

Sudarshan
I know who he is but cannot reveal his id as he has not asked me to disclose it.
But one clue -the teambhp member is very active in the Vintage and Classics Section of teambhp!.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th February 2011 at 19:42.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I know who he is but cannot reveal his id as he has not asked me to disclose it.
But one clue -the teambhp member is very active in the Vintage and Classics Section of teambhp!.
And, to add one more- I guess he owns a number of (classic) cars already, now trying to arrange parking spaces for all of them....!
Old 18th February 2011, 21:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

just guessing? Karlos?
Old 19th February 2011, 09:07   #21
BANNED

Mr Karlos,

Could you be kind enough to update on your latest acquisition

Nice to know its gone into the nice hands.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 19th February 2011 at 09:08.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudarshan was kind enough to hand over custody of the Landmaster to me earlier last year. Amongst all my cars, this has to be the best runner - there is magic in Sudarshan's hands when it comes to tuning!

Am currently acquiring parts for the cosmetic restoration (mechanically there is almost nothing to do). I did get the bumpers, grille, lights, meter console etc (need the switches). Currently looking hard for side trims, steering wheel and side valve engine (the current OHV runs so well I may or not fit the sidevalve even if I get it).

Once again, thanks so much Sudarshan for giving me this opportunity to save a piece of Indian motoring history.

A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)-28thaug2010.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2011, 11:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Sudarshan was kind enough to hand over custody of the Landmaster to me earlier last year. Amongst all my cars, this has to be the best runner - there is magic in Sudarshan's hands when it comes to tuning!

Am currently acquiring parts for the cosmetic restoration (mechanically there is almost nothing to do). I did get the bumpers, grille, lights, meter console etc (need the switches). Currently looking hard for side trims, steering wheel and side valve engine (the current OHV runs so well I may or not fit the sidevalve even if I get it).

Once again, thanks so much Sudarshan for giving me this opportunity to save a piece of Indian motoring history.

Attachment 504899
Congratulations Karl.

The car has finally come into a good hands.

Its unrestored, unmolested and in the best form.

Best of luck on the cosmetic restoration.
Old 20th February 2011, 18:01   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

hey Karl , I am more than humbled , its you who deserves the car . & about tuning , well cant say much, tried my bit that's all , ( actually I have lost touch with Petrol engines ) Its sheer luck if I have achieved that tuning , nothing else .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

+ My 1000s to you
A gem has to be in the crown , not in the 'tool box ' of a clown .

Looking at the past events it looks like I was only the care taker of the rightful owners property , Karl is a true blue 'Bawa' Gentleman , very much committed to the cause , & firm in what he believes and yet very polite .

BTW the bearded man standing next to the car is Karl & that mech looking 'Uncle' is me ( the typical ' PDI done sir ' expression ) . This was the moment when Karl took the car

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 20th February 2011 at 18:04.
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congratulations Karl.

Best of luck on the cosmetic restoration.
Thanks very much. Yes, it is unrestored, but the only original part on the entire car is the rear bumper. Its a good runner (made it to Bombay (South Bombay mind you) in 3 hours flat from Pune, temp never climbed over 65 degrees. I thought the guage was faulty so checked the water in the radiator, but apparently it was working fine!). But plenty of bodywork required. Still looking for steering wheel, switches and sidevalve engine (which I'm in two minds of fitting).

Quote:
BTW the bearded man standing next to the car is Karl & that mech looking 'Uncle' is me ( the typical ' PDI done sir ' expression ).
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow Karl, is the car in Bombay ? Would love to take a peep sometime ..
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Karl, is the car in Bombay ? Would love to take a peep sometime ..
Had brought her to last time's Fiat Club meet
Old 4th April 2011, 19:36   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Karl, she is a beauty and the "landmaster" has finally "landed" in good hands.. Will be good to see the final outcome once you get all the parts..
Old 4th April 2011, 20:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW the bearded man standing next to the car is Karl & that mech looking 'Uncle' is me ( the typical ' PDI done sir ' expression ) . This was the moment when Karl took the car
Rajubhai, you have a great sense of humor. BTW, I saw this car last month in Mumbai next to a garage completely stripped down of its ornaments. When I saw 9999 I knew it was your Ex-Landmaster. When I told about this car to another Bawaji who was with me, he went

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th April 2011 at 20:45.
Old 26th June 2011, 15:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm happy to report that BML 9999 is back home after restoration began in March this year. Drove her back to Pune yesterday.

The car has undergone a complete transformation thanks to an exhaustive tinwork and paintjob. She now wears a coat of gleaming black, I found it more suitable for a car this stately. I could not find what the original colour was, but we assume it must have been the same grey it came to me in. Interiors are new too, with a deep red rexine that looks most correct to me, though I have no idea what the original should be like - after much hunting I could not find even 1 car with remains of what the original upholstery should be. Anjan tells me it should be leather actually.

There is still plenty to be done, mechanically it doesn't run as well as it did before we opened her, but thats also because this time I wasn't lucky enough to have Sudarshan tune it this time round Got the floor shift tranmission reverted to columnshift, but its still pretty rough. Reverted the dash board to original style, tried to dress up the engine bay a bit, fabricated the rear sheet metal to once again accomodate the original taillights, plus still need to put back many fittings - but for now at least she is presentable.

A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)-0000001.jpg

Will take some nice pictures after I fit the rear bumper and change the glasses, rubbers etc (hurried up to get the car to Pune before the monsoons).
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks