Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 19:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm happy to report that BML 9999 is back home after restoration began in March this year. Drove her back to Pune yesterday.

The car has undergone a complete transformation thanks to an exhaustive tinwork and paintjob. She now wears a coat of gleaming black, I found it more suitable for a car this stately. I could not find what the original colour was, but we assume it must have been the same grey it came to me in. Interiors are new too, with a deep red rexine that looks most correct to me, though I have no idea what the original should be like - after much hunting I could not find even 1 car with remains of what the original upholstery should be. Anjan tells me it should be leather actually.
Will take some nice pictures after I fit the rear bumper and change the glasses, rubbers etc (hurried up to get the car to Pune before the monsoons).
Karl, congratulations for making the car reach till this stage. More work can progressively continue on and on for years, till you get all the right things. And being in Mumbai, you should get everything you wish to subject to availability.The shine on the body and chrome fittings can give my BYJ 276 some goosebumps.It looks fresh now.I think you will be able to replace the present windscreen beading for the original chrome lined ones soon. It has taken me 8 plus years now without results. In 2005, the Maulana had told me he had one. I should have picked it up and got it transported by some GATI or the like.But I decided otherwise.
Do go for the thicker gauged, original wheel/hub caps.I have two sets one the thinner, prone to rust ones and the other four original, from older Ambassadors.The thinner ones are now fitted to the car.
Please feel free to ask me anything more about it.The leather seats are still on my agenda.
Old 26th June 2011, 20:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy to report that BML 9999 is back home after restoration began in March this year.

The car has undergone a complete transformation thanks to an exhaustive tinwork and paintjob.

fabricated the rear sheet metal to once again accomodate the original taillights
Great to see the car! She sure looks fab, Black indeed does suit her! Only it'll need a very careful parking and lots of dusting to keep it this way!

Also eager to see the rear, especially with the OHH REE GEE NAL tail-lights fitted- for obvious reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Do go for the thicker gauged, original wheel/hub caps.I have two sets one the thinner, prone to rust ones and the other four original, from older Ambassadors.The thinner ones are now fitted to the car.
Or just as good if not better- the stainless steel replica ones of COX brand. Fit and forget- they never rust!

New ones no longer available but good used ones might be.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th June 2011 at 20:30.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats karl. The car really looks a million bucks

Cheers

Quote:
I'm happy to report that BML 9999 is back home after restoration began in March this year. Drove her back to Pune yesterday.

The car has undergone a complete transformation thanks to an exhaustive tinwork and paintjob. She now wears a coat of gleaming black, I found it more suitable for a car this stately. I could not find what the original colour was, but we assume it must have been the same grey it came to me in. Interiors are new too, with a deep red rexine that looks most correct to me, though I have no idea what the original should be like - after much hunting I could not find even 1 car with remains of what the original upholstery should be. Anjan tells me it should be leather actually.

There is still plenty to be done, mechanically it doesn't run as well as it did before we opened her, but thats also because this time I wasn't lucky enough to have Sudarshan tune it this time round Got the floor shift tranmission reverted to columnshift, but its still pretty rough. Reverted the dash board to original style, tried to dress up the engine bay a bit, fabricated the rear sheet metal to once again accomodate the original taillights, plus still need to put back many fittings - but for now at least she is presentable.

Attachment 566713

Will take some nice pictures after I fit the rear bumper and change the glasses, rubbers etc (hurried up to get the car to Pune before the monsoons).
Old 26th June 2011, 23:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Looking fab Karl - I'm sure you're going to enjoy driving her (gently) on Pune's mean streets !

Keep up the good work. So many deserving cars are getting a deserving home because of you.
Old 27th June 2011, 07:44   #35
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Karl. Happy for you and the car. Guess the engine will settle down with use.

Cheers

KPS
Old 27th June 2011, 15:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks very much guys.

Quote:
I think you will be able to replace the present windscreen beading for the original chrome lined ones soon. It has taken me 8 plus years now without results. In 2005, the Maulana had told me he had one. I should have picked it up and got it transported by some GATI or the like.But I decided otherwise.
Do go for the thicker gauged, original wheel/hub caps.
I have the window rubbers and trims, need to fit them which I'll do when I replace the glasses - will be fitting new light green tinted glasses all round to liven up the looks - advantage of the basic body still being in production is that I can get good quality glasses off the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great to see the car! She sure looks fab, Black indeed does suit her! Only it'll need a very careful parking and lots of dusting to keep it this way!

Also eager to see the rear, especially with the OHH REE GEE NAL tail-lights fitted- for obvious reasons!

Or just as good if not better- the stainless steel replica ones of COX brand. Fit and forget- they never rust!
The black colour is really a nightmare - 2 days after delivery and I'm already pulling my hair out.

Thanks to you I now have the taillight lenses and rings, but still need to fabricate the holders inside, that I can do only when I get a sample so will take time.

For hubcaps I have ordered a new KEL branded set. I believe they were OE suppliers (possible, as I see many parts branded KEL including the lovely period rearview mirror I managed to get).

Also pending is the headlights - I sourced 2 Made in England glasses, need to fit them onto some good reflectors - a tricky process.
Old 27th June 2011, 18:04   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much guys.
I have the window rubbers and trims, need to fit them which I'll do when I replace the glasses - will be fitting new light green tinted glasses all round to liven up the looks - advantage of the basic body still being in production is that I can get good quality glasses off the shelf.
Thats the real advantage of owning a Landmaster.Its a classic and one can walk into a showroom and get a few OE spares that fit the old lady.

Quote:
The black colour is really a nightmare - 2 days after delivery and I'm already pulling my hair out.
Needs a lot of TLC to keep it gleaming.But is worth for the grace it gives to the looks.

Quote:
Also pending is the headlights - I sourced 2 Made in England glasses, need to fit them onto some good reflectors - a tricky process.
Really a tricky process. The sealbeam should remain truly sealed.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th June 2011 at 18:06.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy to report that BML 9999 is back home after restoration began in March this year. Drove her back to Pune yesterday...................
I did not see this before, congrats. You have to keep using this car to get the best out of her, keep her idle for even a month and problems will germinate on their own. I have used an Amby for more than 30 years and know what is in front of you, cars are so similar. I gave it up after I got an opportunity when my dad gave me his old car which one should normally not let go.

Quote:
Karl, congratulations for making the car reach till this stage. More work can progressively continue on and on for years, till you get all the right things. And being in Mumbai, you should get everything you wish to subject to availability..............
Now that sounds funny, does this apply only to Mumbai? I think this would apply for everything everywhere, na?

Quote:
Thats the real advantage of owning a Landmaster.Its a classic and one can walk into a showroom and get a few OE spares that fit the old lady.
Really? While I was using my Amby more frequently, many parts were an issue, like a good coil, good carb. etc. Even chor bazar scratched their heads for a carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Congrats karl. The car really looks a million bucks
Cheers
Ahem, million bucks? Sure looks good, and you will find folks staring at you. Once the car is relatively upto date, do take the car to the lobby of a 5 star hotel and see the fun. I have experienced drivers not being able to move the car, drivers keenly talking to me about the car, and they do not talk to owners having run in the mill cars like Mercs or Beemers, but you get a special status when you appear in such a car. Not quite like a million bucks, but almost there. And this Landy would make for a more royal appearance than a Fiat as unfortunately most taxis in Mumbai were Fiats.

Cheers and good luck harit

Last edited by harit : 27th June 2011 at 19:10.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karl...nice addition to your collection.

Did you manage to get a hold of a side valve engine for it ?

The only Landy I ever saw with teh original sidevale was this pristine single owner car that used to be with the owners of teh Postman oil I think Ahmed Mills in Raichur.

They used the car extensively both long diatance for trips to Hyderabad and locally in Raichur, I wonder what happened to it !

There was another Landmaster with a lady teacher at Hyderabad Public School, Ms Christian....was a mess but in regular use, not sure what engine it had though.

My dad used to have a very original Mark I though he had it dieselised ....the reg was APM 565

Last edited by wasif : 27th June 2011 at 20:18.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:16   #40
BHPian

Karl,

I too am seeing this late. Many congratulations on the good job you've done on her. She looks great in white walls, especially the contrast with the black paint. Can you post some interior shots?

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 28th June 2011, 15:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Really? While I was using my Amby more frequently, many parts were an issue, like a good coil, good carb. etc. Even chor bazar scratched their heads for a carb.
Parts availability is a big problem. Most parts were procured through Chor Bazaar over the years (much before I bought the car actually). Many parts I also got from Calcutta. Many parts also from friends. Many parts also still be obtained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Did you manage to get a hold of a side valve engine for it?
Still don't have the sidevalve engine unfortunately. But when I do source it, fitting it back in should hopefully not be much trouble as there are no alterations required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
She looks great in white walls, especially the contrast with the black paint. Can you post some interior shots?
If it weren't for the whitewalls the car would really have looked dull. They've already started to yellow though. Once the hubcaps are on it will look even better. I'm also looking for wheel trims to add that extra sparkle.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations the car is on the road in record time must give it to AXXXm.
Anyways welcome to the world of Black cars. I am so tired of maintaining the Black on my rover that I may finally get her painted to a Two tone after the monsoon is done. How was the drive back to poona?
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:05   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
How was the drive back to poona?
The drive back was great - car performed well, and I got lost because of a detour and ended up half way to Mahabaleshwar - if the weather was better I might have continued all the way

Something I've been very excited about also is finally complete - should transform the looks of the car.

A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)-0000.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karl, what a buy and i must congratulate Sudarshan also for making sure he found it after selling it and then handing it over to someone, whom he can be sure, will take as good if not better, care of it.

I remember getting some Landmaster lenses, dash, underdash tray etc from Maulana for Steeroid when he was re doing his Landmaster, to gift his dad. Sadly Maulana's shop is no more and i also heard that the owner, Maulana has also passed away a few months ago. That shop was a treasure trove for pre 60 Fiats and American cars, not to mention Dodges and Plymouths, all 55-60.

Good luck with your restoration, ill keep in view if i can run into any Landmaster stuff to pick up for you. And yes Lovely Number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
...... do take the car to the lobby of a 5 star hotel and see the fun. I have experienced drivers not being able to move the car, drivers keenly talking to me about the car, and they do not talk to owners having run in the mill cars like Mercs or Beemers, but you get a special status when you appear in such a car. Not quite like a million bucks, but almost there. And this Landy would make for a more royal appearance than a Fiat as unfortunately most taxis in Mumbai were Fiats.

Cheers and good luck harit
I know what you mean. I took the Fiat Special to Phoenix Mills once and the guy not only let me park in P1 (opened the barricade for me when other cars were refused and then also letting me park in one of the cordoned off spots right at the beginning of the parking lot, near the entrance opposite to Chroma. He also went gaga over the car and saying "Yeh pehle, taxi tha kya saab?"
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:50   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
and i must congratulate Sudarshan also for making sure he found it after selling it
Thanks Gogiji , I did what my heart told me to do & I always do things that way. It pinches the pocket but the sole remains scratch-less

Quote:
and then handing it over to someone, whom he can be sure, will take as good if not better, care of it.
A little disagreement here , I knew karl will come for her & get it -- I knew it for sure , nobody had eyes on that car then Karl did . So it was for him .
Also he is doing it in much much better way then I could have done it . My inclination is towards mechanicals so was Mr . Patankars ( he owned her for 45 years before me ) but things like these deserve better attention beyond that & in to details --- this IS Karl's Job not mine

This car has something , one can feel it when one rides it . I was in a shock of deep sadness when I had to sell her in scrap . But the moment I picked her up again ,I was relieved , half way .

But now I am so happy I don't have words to describe it , Its a feeling of deep satisfaction .

@ Karl --- if you need any help from my side I am always there , be assured ,its a promise . I know this car needs my help sometimes

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 2nd July 2011 at 19:56.
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks