Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 18:44   #16
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Really very nice car and it is always lovely to see the pillar less car. Feels good to see it in this condition and will surely have a good street presence

Cheers

KPS
Old 25th September 2010, 19:32   #17
BANNED

Wow.. Wow....

I have never seen something as unique like this ever in my life.

I am amazed by the way, the car is been preserved all this long, Congratulations Fazal, i am a BIG fan of that car now.

What is this Sideways business of moving the car out, very unique.

We all would love and wish that car a fruitful and a wonderful journey on roads from now on.

Best of luck and please.. please. keep us updated.
Old 25th September 2010, 20:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wow.. Wow....

I have never seen something as unique like this ever in my life.

I am amazed by the way, the car is been preserved all this long, Congratulations Fazal, i am a BIG fan of that car now.
Thanks Kadam,
Wish my uncle was alive to see his efforts being this appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Really very nice car and it is always lovely to see the pillar less car.
KPS
KPS,
Sitting in the rear and the side view sweep is amazing and specially as karlosdeville points out...the rear panoramic glass is a work of art considering it was mass manufactured more than 5 decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
But what truly amazes me is the way she is parked and the confidence you have in removing it sideways!
Looking forward to seeing her on the road. Do share pictures of the process of getting her roadworthy too.
karlosdeville,
This confidence I derive is from, what I have seen my uncle do. Seen it done with such ease and least effort. He could move it effortlessly anytime.

Should I go on about him most would not believe me.

He was the only person in India who could open and fix an automatic gearbox back in the mid 50's. Many automatics would come from the royalty of Rajasthan, Patiala, Bhopal, and other states in trucks and go back driven.

Apart from this he was a master shot, a marksman par excellence, one of the best hunter of his time with a collection of the best precession weapons and the knowledge to dismantle, repair them completely to the bare. Hyderabad had many good marksmen and shikari's though, many used to come to him for zeroing their rifles before commencing on a shikar.

His collection of watches and pocket watches is unparalleled.
His expertise in repairing Triple Complicated Watches.
On the catalogs/ manuals of Triple complicated Watches... is clearly printed..."Do not attempt to open the watch until you have an experience of over 40 years".

He had a priceless collection of antiques, which are very rare dating back to the Ming Dynasty and so many more.

His venture into astronomy started in his late 50's, but there was nothing he missed in the night sky.

Very handsome, standing at 6'-4", with a massive frame and the biggest hands, that I and most have ever seen.

Guess what? He never underwent any formal training for anything mentioned above, he was a 100% self educated man. and much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Do you have any idea about the current value of this car?
Anand,
What would you value it at, in this condition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I remember the open top , tomato red Impalas, that would be parked near Kachiguda Rly Station for rent. These were nastily modded.
Anjan,
Don't forget the numerous parked at Bombay Bakery, looked like Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Wonderful car, really well kept and cared for
Thanks Ajay,
Old 25th September 2010, 23:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Since long wanted to share with you, this 1959 Chevrolet Impala, RHD, automatic, 6 in-line, which has been in my family since early 70's.
Belonged to my late maternal uncle and presently owned by his son (my cousin). Still remember my first ride, the day my uncle bought it.
Notice: The sweeping sides view the rear passengers can have due to the non existence of the B pillar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Don't worry that water is after I washed the car. Otherwise it is in dry as a desert condition. She will come out the same way she went in, change tyres- pour vicious oil on the floor beside the tyres- push her sideways out.

The water has been flushed out the same day after the pics.

Yes Sir that is water. Only if I knew the water would get more attention than the car...I surely wouldn't be in a hurry for the pics.

Wasif,
My uncle's name was Syed Alamdar Husssain.

standing at 6'-4", with a massive frame and the biggest hands, that I and most have ever seen.

Anjan,
Don't forget the numerous parked at Bombay Bakery, looked like Detroit.
Fazal Bhai,

That is one beaut you've got there in your family! Needless to say you sure must be proud! My respect to your uncle. Incidentally, his name does ring a bell- I remember having heard of him from a chatty old mechanic at Tank Bund
long ago. 'turns out he had once taken help from your uncle in fixing an auto gearbox of an Opel Rekord (IIRC) The guy had described him pretty much the same way as you did, especially about his physique.

Even I was first shocked to see the water in the pics...was wondering if it was due to water seepage. But thank God it isnt!

The way she is parked and moved is very interesting indeed! If I might ask, was it done this way due to lack of space?

Incidentally, the '59 chevy is my favourite model among classic chevys! Its styling might be considered a bit too flamboyant by many critics, but I still love it!

The 'missing' B-pillar on the left also appears interesting! Are the B-pillars removable in this model?

Also why not feature the car in the '59 chevy website:

Chevy59.com - Home Page 1959 Impala Bel Air Biscayne

They do have a section on '59 chevys in India too (featuring just one article sent by me long ago) I'm sure your car will be much admired there too.

Reg. the 'baraat' chevys (mostly Impalas, although all chevys were referred to as 'Um-paala' in Hyd. lingo) I presume by Bombay Bakery you mean the ones opp. Nizam College (the SBI building road)? I remember having last seen just one '59 there, painted in a metallic white and beat-up to the nth degree as most of those cars were...around 5 years ago. 'never saw it since.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th September 2010 at 23:49.
Old 25th September 2010, 23:53   #20
BHPian

:)

Awesome Fazal! still remember one in my school days, one of my friends unc had one. So much space inside! True Beauty!
Old 26th September 2010, 00:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hello Fazal Saab you have got a prestine, sexy, amazing, impeccable, astonishing car, this is not it. It's because I am falling short of words. I felt as if I am looking at a painting when I saw the interiors of the car, red cover is so full of life. I felt the car has just came out from the past prestine condition that too in Hyderabad. I wonder how one could keep the car in such a way, hats off.

Even today I think of packing a brand new automobile in a air tight box and re open the same after 30-40 yrs or even more so that I would have a perfect original automobile as a collection then, I wish someone had done in my family then I would have become the most luckiest person today. Today I felt wish has been fulfilled looking at your car don't know why I feel my desire of looking at a complete original car has come true today. Thank you sir for sharing the pictures. One more wish sir, if you permit I would like to touch the car once someday.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:23   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some 30 odd years ago when my dad and I visited Alamdar uncle is when he proudly showed me this lovely Impala. I remember the condition of the car then made a deep impression on my mind. Over the years periodically I would enquire about the car with common friends only to be told it was in "good health" and in long term storage.

A few days back when Fazal mentioned the car could be viewed I was delighted and in no time I was there to enjoy seeing this beauty in person again.

Few cars are so well preserved, almost stuck in a time capsule. Just the state she is in makes her so special.

In many ways this car reflects the owner so well. He was a genius of sorts and I always remember my father speak very highly of his "mechanical" abiities. Alamdar uncle often mentioned very interesting tales about his close association with the seventh Nizam as apparently he grew up under his close supervision.

So much of old Hyderabad has disappeared and this car reminds me of that era when people with distinct characters identified with cars they owned

I am just glad I had the privilege to meet so many fascinating people from a generation gone by.

Thanks for sharing Fazal.
Old 26th September 2010, 07:19   #23
BHPian

Hi Fazal,

I'm new to the forum & originally from Hyd. The car looks superb. Actually I submitted a post yesterday but don't know why, it doesn't show up.

Rgds

Rajesh
Old 26th September 2010, 09:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Fazal Bhai,
My respect to your uncle. Incidentally, his name does ring a bell- I remember having heard of him from a chatty old mechanic at Tank Bund
long ago. 'turns out he had once taken help from your uncle in fixing an auto gearbox of an Opel Rekord (IIRC) The guy had described him pretty much the same way as you did, especially about his physique.
Stanher,
Thank you. This is my uncle in his younger days.
Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-dsc02436.jpg
Old 26th September 2010, 11:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Nice car and very well maintained. Is it in proper running condition? Can you give us some details about its engine. Do you have any idea about the current value of this car?
Anand,
This car being a unique car ,a right hand drive American classic and such an original example one cannot quote a ""value"" in the INDIAN context.
Internationally concours' 1959 pillarless Impala sedans (show winners) sell for between USD30000 to USD40000.
CarsOnline.com: Chevy Impala For Sale
Old 26th September 2010, 12:26   #26
BHPian

My compliments too, fazalaliadil. Dreams are made of such stuff! Congratulations, on yours being a reality!

May I also suggest considering using trolley jacks or trolley trays to pull her out sideways? I have noted your observation of the ease with which it can be slid over oil next to the wheels; my suggestion is just another alternative - especially given the small room for error.
Old 26th September 2010, 13:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Your uncle used to live on Road No 5 in Banjara Hills ???? Was the car kept there too.

One of my cousins bought a 61 Impala pillarless sedan that me and my partner had fbrought to Hyd from Goa. It was in similar condition like yours in black colour and with qan immaculate interior still covered in factory plastic.

His nake is Noor ul Haq and he is a builder who lievs on Road No 8, do you know him or have you see his car ?
Old 26th September 2010, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My compliments too, fazalaliadil. Dreams are made of such stuff! Congratulations, on yours being a reality!

May I also suggest considering using trolley jacks or trolley trays to pull her out sideways?
Prabal,
I shall convey your compliments and appreciation and that of many other members here, to his sons... as it is their father who owned it and after him it is they who deserve to be complimented more than I.

Your suggestion reg. the trolley jacks will certainly be given priority over the oil slide technique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrajesh View Post
I'm new to the forum & originally from Hyd.
Rajesh
Captian,
Thank you for your appreciation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Some 30 odd years ago when my dad and I visited Alamdar uncle is when he proudly showed me this lovely Impala.

He was a genius of sorts and I always remember my father speak very highly of his "mechanical" abilities. Alamdar uncle often mentioned very interesting tales about his close association with the seventh Nizam as apparently he grew up under his close supervision.

So much of old Hyderabad has disappeared and this car reminds me of that era when people with distinct characters identified with cars they owned

I am just glad I had the privilege to meet so many fascinating people from a generation gone by.
Deepak,
Your father and my uncle were friends since their childhood and your father fondly remembers him today.

Undoubtedly, he was a genius it is a general consensus with people who knew him.

Regarding Hyderabad and its glorious past, I couldn't agree with you more.
Even in the 70's, I remember all old Hyderabadi families knew each other and the bonding of generations prevailed, irrespective of which culture or religion they belonged to.

Yes, the Nizam of Hyderabad had very high regard for our family, though in no remote way were we related to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
One more wish sir, if you permit I would like to touch the car once someday.
Bala,
please PM your number to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Fazal Bhai,
The guy had described him pretty much the same way as you did, especially about his physique.

The way she is parked and moved is very interesting indeed! If I might ask, was it done this way due to lack of space?

The 'missing' B-pillar on the left also appears interesting! Are the B-pillars removable in this model?
Stanher,
His super imposing personality and his intellect was a lethal combination.

In a way you can say it was due to lack of space, he had 4 covered parking's out of which two had shutters in which this car is parked.

This model was famous for its bat-winged rear end and the non existent B pillar. The beauty of this design is in the entire load of the roof, which is taken up by the very slim steel assisted A and C pillars and to support them these humongous front and rear glasses were incorporated into the design element. A structural marvel concealed in cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Anand,
This car being a unique car ,a right hand drive American classic and such an original example one cannot quote a ""value"" in the INDIAN context.
Ajay,
It couldn't have been put better than you have, thank you.

Wasif,
No, it was not my uncle who lived there nor was the car ever kept there. It always was with him at Basheerbagh.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 26th September 2010 at 13:58.
Old 26th September 2010, 14:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Magnifique

Fazal Saab,

Many thanks for sharing the pictures of this timeless classic! Words escape me about my feelings on seeing this car. I have always been impressed with the Impala's and the immaculate condition of this car makes it a gem.

Would like to get a chance to see it some time in flesh and if lady luck smiles, may be have a ride as well .

Cheers

OT: Threads like these bring out the old world charm which still exists in Hyderabad and dying in most other cities. Kudos to you, DKG and few others for painstakingly keeping the heritage alive!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 26th September 2010 at 14:24.
Old 26th September 2010, 17:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fazal,
Just saw this thread.. My God, what a magnificient piece of Automotive Art !!! Hats off to your family for having kept her in this condition - and you sure are one lucky guy, to have her in the family.

Please do have her taken out on the road, and indulge in some photography - we're all hungry for more photos !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks