Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 11:39   #46
BHPian

One of the most beautiful cars ever built in my opinion....and a magnificent specimen you have here.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:16   #47
BHPian

Brilliant car Fazal sir. Have always been a fan of Impala's. Very nicely kept indeed. Would love to see it someday when I am in Hyd and hopefully on the road

Btw there is one red Impala in Bangalore too. I have seen it twice on the outer ring road and it comes from Sarjapur side. I am always on the wrong side of the road and driving hence no snaps yrt. Any idea who it belongs to.
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Brilliant car Fazal sir. Have always been a fan of Impala's. Very nicely kept indeed. Would love to see it someday when I am in Hyd and hopefully on the road

Btw there is one red Impala in Bangalore too. I have seen it twice on the outer ring road and it comes from Sarjapur side. I am always on the wrong side of the road and driving hence no snaps yrt. Any idea who it belongs to.
sarmarishi,
Thank you. The entire credit goes to my uncle for the condition this beauty is in.
No, I have no idea about the red Impala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post
One of the most beautiful cars ever built in my opinion....and a magnificent specimen you have here.
godhatesmyguts,
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun83 View Post
Agree: Thats a piece of art I dont think any car company makes artistic cars today.
Give some hotrod treatment to this baby and smoke some fake modded cars on road.
tarun83,
That is the reason, more than 50 years down the line they continue to enthrall us. Pretty soon she will be running again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbala View Post
its a perfect stunner sir...... wishing it a very speedy recovery to run on the roads at the earliest......... waiting to see more pictures of the beauty
benzbala,
When she runs again, I will post pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
OOOHHH AAAAHHHHH......
Can't have words to describe this BEAUTY. PHEW!!!
DicKy,
Thanks very much for your appreciation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maqqq View Post
Dear Fazal
I used to be Alamdar uncles neighbor and was there when the car was being moved to the far end of his garage with the floor oiled and tyres changes et all.
His garage is by far the largest in Deccan Towers but its entrance did not permit a second car to be parked inside.
It was after he purchased a new car that he decided to oil the floor and push this beauty on the side.
Great to see the beauty well after such a long time, it still takes my breath away.AQ
maqqq,
It is nice to know you had seen the car and most importantly knew my uncle. Definitely, he too must have known you to have you there at the time of the 'operation shifting' otherwise you know how he was.
DKG and you from our T-BHP are possibly the only members who have seen it. We should meet up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Fazal,
Man...! you are keep us on our toes.
All of us are waiting to see this "BEAUTY" glide on roads ASAP.
Do let me know if you need me to Volunteer for ANY work on the car,(even if i have to connect the battery wires/ push the car/ anything)
Would be glad to come over there for Help.
Pawan,
Thanks for your offer.
Soon very soon, Inshallah.
Regards,
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fazal.

I wanted to ask you and your cousins to share the proceedure and methods used to store this car over such a lenghty time period and still maintain this pristine look.

I know many people who store or stored their cars but invariably time took its toll on the interiors and the rest.

What was done different in this cas, its obvious that the car was not just parked away and left for this duration.

What was done to keep it in good shape, was it periodically cleaned inside and out ?

I am sure your inputs on this will be valuable to all old car lovers since essentially most of these cars are stored over long periods and driven infrequently.

More specifically how was the interior preserved in such good condition.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Front grille, watch out for a write up on it here soon, with pics. very interesting.
[/ATTACH]
Dear Friends,

This is about my uncle and his attention detail, skills etc.

Back in the 60's he had a Plymouth which had an extensively damaged front grille. In those days importing one was a herculean task...300%+ import duty, months of wait and overseas commutation obsolete, unlike today's.

He decided to make one and he did, made three for anyone else who may need it. It is 100% handcrafted by him. The below two are unfinished and the finished one was fitted on his Plymouth like a glove hole to hole. None could tell the difference between his handmade or the original.

He was the charge de affairs of the Nizam of Hyderabad's fleet of automobiles which included over a hundred Rolls Royce, several Bentley's and other high end cars of those days.

He also was responsible for recommending or rejecting many cars imported by the Nizam of Hyderabad, who was the richest man in the world.

Below are two photographs sent by the respective companies to my uncle for approval, yes later, both were part of the Nizam's garage .

Regards,

The Plymouth, hand made grille.
Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8881.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8884.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8887.jpg
These Rolls Royce were a part of over a 100 RR's in the Nizam's collection. With provided details behind the original photographs.
Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8928.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8914.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8929.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_8918.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2010, 14:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Fazal.

I wanted to ask you and your cousins to share the proceedure and methods used to store this car over such a lenghty time period and still maintain this pristine look.

I know many people who store or stored their cars but invariably time took its toll on the interiors and the rest.

What was done different in this case, its obvious that the car was not just parked away and left for this duration.

What was done to keep it in good shape, was it periodically cleaned inside and out ?

I am sure your inputs on this will be valuable to all old car lovers since essentially most of these cars are stored over long periods and driven infrequently.

More specifically how was the interior preserved in such good condition.
Hi Wasif,

Firstly, this car was bought by my uncle for its original and pristine condition. It originally came to him from Chennai (Madras in 1976).

It was driven at least once or twice a week by my uncle until his demise eight years ago. An automobile which runs is automatically well maintained.

Hyderabad's dry weather is a boon for vintage collectors, also in this case.

Washed only once in three months as it in shade and all water accumulated on the floor after a wash, completely removed to the last drop as water evaporation in a closed garage leads to moisture build up within.

Moreover, whenever this car was washed it was completely dried of all moisture.

All through the long storage it has been aired and cleaned at least once a week.

Time to time a hot blower is used in the interiors for any traces of moisture.

The upholstery was encased with transparent vinyl.

Hope that was helpful?

Regards,
Old 4th October 2010, 15:59   #52
BHPian

AS SALAM ALI KUM, FAZAL BHAI. What a beauty you have shared with us. Me and my brother were planning to buy one since a very long time. Went and enquired about it near the Gunfoundary area, but couldnt get my hands on such a beauty. Please let me know if there is anyone who is interested in selling.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:02   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fazal

Those Rolls pictures are gorgeous. These pictures appear to be original sales literature that Rolls Royce would have sent out to prospective clients? The pictures mention referring to picture number etc.

It would be interesting to verify if these cars did actually come to Hyd

Thanks for sharing, these pictures are precious
Old 4th October 2010, 19:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fazal

Those Rolls pictures are gorgeous. These pictures appear to be original sales literature that Rolls Royce would have sent out to prospective clients? The pictures mention referring to picture number etc.

It would be interesting to verify if these cars did actually come to Hyd

Thanks for sharing, these pictures are precious
Deepak,
Yes they did come to Hyderabad and were in the Nizams fleet of RR's.

Does anyone have a count of at least half of the one hundred that he owned and where they are now?
Possibly, about or more than a dozen can be traced to their present owners.
Regards,
Old 4th October 2010, 22:43   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deepak,
Yes they did come to Hyderabad and were in the Nizams fleet of RR's.

Does anyone have a count of at least half of the one hundred that he owned and where they are now?
Possibly, about or more than a dozen can be traced to their present owners.
Regards,
If only we could find atleast a few pictures of the cars !! They did have a fleet of Crossleys and earlier many Napiers. The Rolls' I haven't seen any other besides the Ghost and the PIII that came for Azamjah. We should find pictures of the cars in Hyderabad !!
Old 5th October 2010, 07:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If only we could find atleast a few pictures of the cars !! They did have a fleet of Crossleys and earlier many Napiers. The Rolls' I haven't seen any other besides the Ghost and the PIII that came for Azamjah. We should find pictures of the cars in Hyderabad !!
Good Morning Deepak,
That's one son you are talking about, Mukaramjah (grandson) too had a couple or more? But where did the rest go? We need to really dig deep into getting some more out, like luckily I had these with me given by my uncle, who had attested the ownership of these two here, and the letters of correspondence with the respective companies, RR, Barker ect. I had seen and many other photographs of cars that were bought in the golden era of Hyderabad.

Also the Paigah's, Jung's, Gir's, Dowla's and other Raja's of Hyderabad had enviable colletions.

Until 70's many were taken back abroad, I remember a seeing few during their different stages of transit (like mentioned earlier).
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 09:26   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But where did the rest go?
Our only hope would be family pictures. Photographs taken at Bella Vista should be with Muffakhamjah at Chamlijah. I'll try to request someone close to him to access pictures to see what cars come out. Oddly there aren't many pictures of cars in the collection of photographs at Chowmahalla.

Some 30 years ago I thought it worth the effort to document all such cars and went and took permission from the Joint Commissioner RTA only to be taken aback at the shabby manner in which RTA records had been kept. The data was all so garbled you could hardly make any sense of this. I managed to get a copy of all the RTA records but its of little value.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Fazal bhai, its a stunner! Very well restored, loved the black and red color combo. My doubt is how this got parked like that or the building is constructed around it?
Old 6th October 2010, 10:51   #59
BHPian

awesome ride!!! lovely pics..
Old 6th October 2010, 11:13   #60
BHPian

WOW props to your uncle for getting back to its glory, attention to detail clearly shows, thanks for sharing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks