Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 11:36   #61
BHPian

Excellent.

Fazal saheb salam to you,
Thanks for sharing this beauty with us, I just cant take off my eyes from her what will happen when i see her for real.
I have never seen such a maginficiantly mainitianed car that too its in my city.
Fazal saheb please i want to see her once on my next trip. I hope you dont mind.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariKSA View Post
Fazal saheb salam to you,
Fazal saheb please i want to see her once on my next trip. I hope you dont mind.
ferrariKSA,
Salam to you too.
Thank you for the appreciation and you are most welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette8991 View Post
WOW props to your uncle for getting back to its glory, attention to detail clearly shows, thanks for sharing!
vette8991,
It always was glorious. No restoration has ever been done on it, it has been painstakingly maintained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
awesome ride!!! lovely pics..
shanz,
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Fazal bhai, its a stunner! Very well restored, loved the black and red color combo.
jacs,
Thank you.
Restoration carried on it: NIL
Maintainence: 100%
The color combo is factory.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th October 2010 at 13:01.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

vette8991,
It always was glorious. No restoration has ever been done on it, it has been painstakingly maintained.
Thanks for clearing that up, shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion without going through all the posts..

I can imagine how hard it would be to maintain such an old car in such a pristine condition, should have been very tiresome, but isn't that were all the fun is . Very well maintained
Old 8th October 2010, 21:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

I had the chance to see the beauty in flesh yesterday. Thanks Fazal Saab for the opportunity. Few pictures taken by me
Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_1089.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_1090.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_1106.jpg

Hyderabad, 1959 Chevrolet Impala-img_1108.jpg
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2010, 06:40   #65
BHPian

looks like you even got a chance to sit in this beauty. thanks for the updated pics. love seeing different perspectives.
Old 9th October 2010, 08:36   #66
BHPian

Beautiful 59 Impala. More so, because it is rare RHD Export model, with Automatic transmission. Notice the shift segment on the column which is opposite of a LHD US model (in Us, the three on the tree goes P R D L 2 1)
One comment though - why are the tires flat. A car in this good a condition deserves to be photographed in its most presentable condition.
This six cylinder version has the great workhorse of an engine called the stove-bolt six rated at 250 cubic inch and had been around since the thirtees thru the mid seventees.
My hope is that the car is in running condition. because if taken just routine care, this engine will last almost forever ! During the golden period of American cars in India, the 50-60 ( when an Impala was the equivalent of RR) these long boats were adored by the rich and famous and were snatched at STC auction at the RTO on Rajpur road in Delhi. Their days were numbered though, and soon the MB, Coronas, Holdens and such like lesser entities replaced the 56Buick Roadmasters(remember Shashi Kapoor driving one in Waqt), 59 ChevyBiscayne (Pyar Kiye Ja) . And before you knew it they were blasted to kingdom come in movie chase scenes !
Surely, the few remaining beauties deserve our care and respect . My congratulations to its owner, as a 59 Impala four door sports sedan in this shape is indeed rare even in the US. I have owned four Caprices - 70,
75, 80 , 85 - each better than the previous (Caprice replaced Impala as the top of the line Chevy in 1966 - Impala continued as #2 followed by Bel Air & Biscayne).
Priyo
Old 9th October 2010, 08:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Beautiful 59 Impala. More so, because it is rare RHD Export model, with Automatic transmission. Notice the shift segment on the column which is opposite of a LHD US model (in Us, the three on the tree goes P R D L 2 1)
One comment though - why are the tires flat. A car in this good a condition deserves to be photographed in its most presentable condition.
This six cylinder version has the great workhorse of an engine called the stove-bolt six rated at 250 cubic inch and had been around since the thirtees thru the mid seventees.
My hope is that the car is in running condition. because if taken just routine care, this engine will last almost forever ! During the golden period of American cars in India, the 50-60 ( when an Impala was the equivalent of RR) these long boats were adored by the rich and famous and were snatched at STC auction at the RTO on Rajpur road in Delhi. Their days were numbered though, and soon the MB, Coronas, Holdens and such like lesser entities replaced the 56Buick Roadmasters(remember Shashi Kapoor driving one in Waqt), 59 ChevyBiscayne (Pyar Kiye Ja) . And before you knew it they were blasted to kingdom come in movie chase scenes !
Surely, the few remaining beauties deserve our care and respect . My congratulations to its owner, as a 59 Impala four door sports sedan in this shape is indeed rare even in the US. I have owned four Caprices - 70,
75, 80 , 85 - each better than the previous (Caprice replaced Impala as the top of the line Chevy in 1966 - Impala continued as #2 followed by Bel Air & Biscayne).
Priyo
Priyo, Thank you for your comments and observation. Admire your interest and knowledge in this and other Americans. My late uncle was the owner and after his passing away it has been just parked but cleaned and maintained. The engine is in excellent running condition, this is before it was long term parked. She will be running again. Can you please let me know of the availability and cost of a brand new carburetor for it? Regards,
Old 9th October 2010, 09:05   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
She will be running again.
Absolutely stunning! Fazal is it possible to shoot a picture in broad daylight? All the pictures so far are from inside the garage. How and from where are you getting new white wall tyres?
Old 9th October 2010, 10:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Absolutely stunning! Fazal is it possible to shoot a picture in broad daylight? All the pictures so far are from inside the garage. How and from where are you getting new white wall tyres?
Rudra,
Thanks for your appreciation.
Thats the problem, flat tyres, the reason I couldn't get her out to shoot in natural light. Personally, as flash photography flattens the subject I try to avoid it but had to indulge here.
The broad white wall will be imported from Dubai, they are available there.
Regards,
Old 9th October 2010, 10:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Beautiful 59 Impala.
During the golden period of American cars in India, the 50-60 ( when an Impala was the equivalent of RR) these long boats were adored by the rich and famous and were snatched at STC auction at the RTO on Rajpur road in Delhi. Their days were numbered though, and soon the MB, Coronas, Holdens and such like lesser entities replaced the 56Buick Roadmasters(remember Shashi Kapoor driving one in Waqt), 59 ChevyBiscayne (Pyar Kiye Ja) . And before you knew it they were blasted to kingdom come in movie chase scenes ! Priyo
The car of the stars was indeed the Impala, more of the 1960's. They were mainly red, then white, and then other colours like that bluish-green metallic shade. They had an extended cars of the stars life because Mercedes were considered unlucky. But these cars were doomed to last long as prestigious cars because of fuel economy (relatively bad), automatic gearbox repairs, and carb hassles. And too many were given to "Mochi's" (shoe repairers) to repair. Again, most cars were 6 cylinder, was so much better for the economy than a V 8.
These cars were killed by the movie wallah's, wedding car wallah's, and what was left over was dieselised. Many of todays survivors did survive because they were for some time abandoned in some Mill compound, bungalow, countryside and so enthusiasts could find them and restore them before the above three villians could get at them. So an original pristine car is vary rare indeed.

Cheers harit
Old 12th October 2010, 14:31   #71
BHPian

I thank Fazal Bhai for having given me the opportunity of seeing (drooling most of the time) this beauty of a car. The upkeep on this car has been done to the highest standards, and this is one beauty which has not been touched by the ravages of time.

Every thing about this car amazed me, be it the original factory chrome that still is gleaming, the springs on the door latches, the rubbers that still feel new, the doors that still shut the way it was set by the factory for sure, the meters, oh I just can go on and on.

Great car Fazal bhai, thanks a ton once again.
Old 12th October 2010, 16:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Fazal, Fantastic car! is all we can say.
These 6 cyl.engines came with single barrel rochester carbs, and I imported brand new ones from 'classic industries' who manufacture them even now. The engines perfomance changed completely by just changing the carb.
Impala Parts | 1958-1961 | 1958-61 6 CYLINDER 1BBL ROCHESTER CARB | Classic Industries
Old 12th October 2010, 20:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So an original pristine car is vary rare indeed.
Cheers harit
Harit,
Thank you for your appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
I thank Fazal Bhai for having given me the opportunity of seeing (drooling most of the time) this beauty of a car.
oh I just can go on and on.
Great car Fazal bhai, thanks a ton once again.
Suren,
You are most welcome and the pleasure was mine having you guys who are all so well versed in vintages and classics. Anyone from T-BHP who happen to pass by Hyderabad, let me know if you are interested in seeing it.
I just love the build quality and restoration carried out on your FIAT, Superb!

[quote=scooby05;2103270]Fazal, Fantastic car! is all we can say.
These 6 cyl.engines came with single barrel rochester carbs, and I imported brand new ones from 'classic industries' who manufacture them even now.
Scooby,
Thank you for the carb info. and for that two word compliment, appreciate both.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 12th October 2010 at 20:14.
Old 13th October 2010, 14:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Fazal, Fantastic car! is all we can say.
These 6 cyl.engines came with single barrel rochester carbs, and I imported brand new ones from 'classic industries' who manufacture them even now.
Scooby,
Thank you for the carb info. and for that two word compliment, appreciate both.
Regards,
I happen to own a '60 belair sedan with similar rear wings, and a '61 hardtop as they call it for the pillarless. Yours is known as the bubble top! because of the surround rear glass, and they are far more appreciated.
Old 13th October 2010, 18:32   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I happen to own a '60 belair sedan with similar rear wings, and a '61 hardtop as they call it for the pillarless. Yours is known as the bubble top! because of the surround rear glass, and they are far more appreciated.
I'm afraid, the Bubbletop is a coupé. Fazal's cousins' car is what is known as the Hardtop Sport Sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks