Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:15   #16
BHPian

Re: The only old car i ever really wanted! (1953 4-door Morris Minor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Ahhh....another classic to drool over, Arun congrats on the buy. Looking forward to the build and I am sure it will turn out stunning in the end. Where is the car now? And will Prabhu be working on this.
Thanks Chethan!. yes, the car is parked up at Prabhu's. Work has not started et, but I'm hoping things ease up post 2010 and i get to spend time in hyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariKSA View Post
Hey Arun congrats man. My grandpa also had a same type of morris a four door one. waiting for more pics of the complete car.And seeing the passion of Stanher and hillram bringing their machines to their original glory is praise worthy..I hope we can still find a unrestorable car for a Hot rod project.thanks
Farooq
Cheers Farooq, there are quite a few minors parked about in Hyderabad, but I personally found it difficult to get any of the better ones to agree on a sane price. DRDL junction (en-route to Omer Hotel) has an old banger suitable for a mod job if you wanna have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Arun, Congratulations. I like the story too. My dad had a Moris Minor when I was a kid. But don't think it was a 4 door. It was a fun car and he had to electric fuel pumps on the car too. With a switch which had center off, right one pump left the other pump. One night some theives stole the car. We found it after a few days about 20 kms away. A neighbours son told my dad that the car was outside a petrol pump at nepeansea rd where he lived. It stalled there and the theives even filled up petrol. The horn button was right next to this switch and the probably moved the toggle switch to the center position. I still have the 8 valves of this car. If you ever need it I will send/give it to you. And some place I have an old SU carb but not sure if its good or of the MM. And what a coincidence, my dad's had a HMT which is with me now. Happy restoration!!!
Nice story there and thanks on the wishes!. Let me go shotgun on the parts you've got in possession once an assessment is done on Curvy. Your help is truly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hey Arun,
Congratulations buddy!!

A friend of mine in Himayathnagar street No.9 (I guess Shyam might be knowing that car!!) has a Morris Minor, a black one. They said finding original spares is a bit difficult task but their mechanic from old city does a fair bit of job by Jugaad. They never had trouble with the car!!! I think its time to re-visit them again!!!
Thanks Raj. A car being maintained through the jugaad way is exactly what i want to avoid and I went to great pains trying to convince my own self not spoil the feeling i got whilst enjoying top gear at only 40kmph. I'm stayin far far away from that Mechanic lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Nice that you plumped for a rebuild to stock. For a moment I was worried you might veer towards a coal-dust fired engine or something (imagine all the money you would save if you just had to dust your clothes to fill your tank!). Also happy that the space-age space frame thingy has been shelved.

It would be nice to see Curvy all done up and back on the road. I know there is a lot of work involved but am sure you will do it well. Before that, I am looking forward to seeing the restoration process and updates on this thread which promises to be a scorcher.Cheers and best of luck.
Areey Ravs, what you dont realise is that I actually changed plans on the mod and decided to wait for your 1.6GTX engine to be donated someday. . Until then, she'll remain stock!. On a serious note, I bet you can imagine how difficult it must have been for me to control my creative juices from corrupting my mind,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Congratulations Arun, finding such Morris is not easy. It is nice car, my younger brother also owns Morris Minor 1949 and I owned Morris 8 E 1948 our cars were waiting for restoration.
Good luck!
Thanks VP. Maybe we can get your car restored at the same time as mine if you want!. I'm certainly walking the whole mile in trying to get original parts so it could help you as well. The work done at New Mars is a high standard. I decided to use them after seeing their restoration work being displayed at Auto Shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats again Arun! And glad to see a thread on 'Curvy' (cute name!) finally!! I even took a couple of pics. although cant find them now! I'll be glad to offer any advice or help atleast verbally (for now), looking forward to seeing more of curvy!

PS2: Coincidentally, I was thinking of you just yesterday as I was preparing a chapter called "The Canterbury Tales" in my Eng. lit. for my exam on sunday! Maybe you could get to have the same kinda fun with curvy that you had with the mini there.....until you've done her up that is!
Shyam, dont worry machan... Once I'm back in Hyderabad, you can come over and we'll inspect the car together. Any help from your end for 5 mins is 10fold the time i would need to think of solutions.

I cant believe you remember the story. In all probability , i spoke bout this the very first time i met you .. like 2 yrs back!!. Incidentally, I'm still looking out for a mini (budget is sensible and flexible) and would want leads anywhere in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - tyre size for Morris Minor is 5.20*14, same as fiats. That's a good car. Get the original grille from somewhere now.Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Will do for sure DB saab. I have a funny incident regarding the same topic. I started a thread on a UK site (MMOC) in order to get help on the parts and stuff. the very 1st reply post was that of the grill and how its different from the UK spec ........... they assumed this was the design for India and that it was not missing, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Arun..Hearty Congratulations on acquiring the Morris Minor.Im sure it will undergo a pristine restoration job.
Having a British car in my stable was an all time dream,that i hope to fulfil one day !!
Enjoy the restoration.
I bet Ram.. and then you can start a MM Club too!!...Hmmm , coming to think of it, is there one ?
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:45   #17
BHPian

There is a morris minor I know which is up for sale, but there are two issues, one it belongs to the chairman of my company, so you need to go through the chairman's office and all. Second it has a gypsy engine in it with alloys. People who have frequented Tardeo-Haji Ali Area will know as its parked outside.
Old 24th December 2010, 00:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I bet Ram.. and then you can start a MM Club too!!...Hmmm , coming to think of it, is there one ?
How much I would have loved to start an MM club as I always loved British cars.
I dont think there are any MM clubs in India,but you would find many clubs in UK.Infact they these clubs are a good source to get genuine parts.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another pic and a ?donor car

Hey Arun,

Here is another pic of curvy:

The only old car i ever really wanted! (1953 4-door Morris Minor)-75295_146942895351785_122305767815498_240951_3205995_n.jpg

I think it was taken by Nazim. It was taken the night you got her and drove her to the bodyshop.

Rajeshwar Rao has been busy and in all likliness has found a donor car! I mean he has found a car only thing is it has to be checked to make sure it has all the right bits and pieces in it. Picking it up would be cheaper than importing the parts needed. Check it out once you are in town.

The club is a brilliant idea - hopefully you can make enough money off it to defray the restoration expenses.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2010, 12:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, I did see curvy first around 2005, parked in the open on the same spot in that street where you picked her up. I even took a couple of pics. although cant find them now!

Karl will have them I'm sure since I'd sent those to him then.
Congratulations on a fun project. Here are the pictures I had.

The only old car i ever really wanted! (1953 4-door Morris Minor)-minor08.jpg

The only old car i ever really wanted! (1953 4-door Morris Minor)-minor09.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2010, 22:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Chethan!. yes, the car is parked up at Prabhu's. Work has not started et, but I'm hoping things ease up post 2010 and i get to spend time in hyd.
Cheers Farooq, there are quite a few minors parked about in Hyderabad, but I personally found it difficult to get any of the better ones to agree on a sane price. DRDL junction (en-route to Omer Hotel) has an old banger suitable for a mod job if you wanna have a look.
CONGRATS !,If this is your 1st restoration then you need all the support and encouragement. One needs a lot of patience and continued interest, should overcome all frustrating situations.The best option will be to 1st collect all missing parts/fittings and then start work. The grill panel,parking lights,the front beadings/hockey sticks, tail lights, fuel filler outlet seem to be worked on. Pictures of the engine bay and dashboard would throw more light on what's needed in those areas.
Am trying to restore a 1951 MM 800 convertible too
GOOD LUCK and wishes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - tyre size for Morris Minor is 5.20*14, same as fiats. That's a good car. Get the original grille from somewhere now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Saab,

Am in need 5.20-14 tyres (any size White Wall)for my Morris and Fiat.Any leads from where to get? A lot of Fiat Taxis sport them.
Thanking you

Last edited by Amartya : 27th December 2010 at 00:11. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 mins.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase Arun ji. You surely got a decent car. Really looking forward to the detailed restoration.
PS: Did you got the crank handle with it too.
Old 27th December 2010, 12:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
Am trying to restore a 1951 MM 800 convertible too

Cheers Mohammed. good to know I'm in the same boat as you are. Do advise on how your going about on the parts ordering from abroad if any. If need be, maybe we can place orders together cause my car needs a fair few items which id like to source from UK
Old 27th December 2010, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers Mohammed. good to know I'm in the same boat as you are. Do advise on how your going about on the parts ordering from abroad if any. If need be, maybe we can place orders together cause my car needs a fair few items which id like to source from UK
Most of my sourcing has been done . i stay on Hill Fort Road,opp jet airways, feel free to get in touch via PM.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Post edited to remove phone number. Please use the private messaging (PM) facility for this. Your post has been edited to protect your personal information.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:48. Reason: post edited to remove phone number
Old 11th January 2011, 13:30   #25
BHPian

Welcome to the club, I own to Moggies a 66 4Dr Saloon & a 57 Convertible on the other side of border . I have been sourcing parts from ESM, you can get them delivered to a friend in UK who can carry back these for you, or do check if they deliver at your doorstep. Would love to see more updates on your resto!
Old 19th January 2011, 14:45   #26

Hey Basharat, so that's where you are found these days! Any updates on the fuel pump? I really need one.
Old 19th January 2011, 18:47   #27
BHPian

Watching this thread to see the progress of Morris restoration work.

Experts, please write what were differences between Morris 8 E which produces from (1938-48) and Morris Minor models of 1949-50. Whether they share the same spares or engine, gearbox, brake, what were the main enhancement. Some where I read don't remember where, that when Morris Minor were introduced in 1949 they have lot of stock of spares of previous model, so it was used in MM 1949 cars. Can anybody share their knowledge about it.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:26   #28
BHPian

Just a quick update on the progress..

The restoration has been put on hold guys. The assessment was completed and it was decided to get hold of a complete new body because the existing one is rather bad. We deferred from getting it sand-blasted and then taking a call because the money would be rather spent elsewhere. Mechanically, the car is very sound and healthy. Nothing to worry about on that front.

The hunt is on now for just a morris body in an "infinitely" better condition. If we do not find one in a month's time, then we shall rethink of spending on brand new panels + chassis.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 29th January 2011 at 13:27.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick update on the progress..

The restoration has been put on hold guys. The assessment was completed and it was decided to get hold of a complete new body because the existing one is rather bad. We deferred from getting it sand-blasted and then taking a call because the money would be rather spent elsewhere. Mechanically, the car is very sound and healthy. Nothing to worry about on that front.

The hunt is on now for just a morris body in an "infinitely" better condition. If we do not find one in a month's time, then we shall rethink of spending on brand new panels + chassis.

Hello ,

Try ur luck .. theres an opened up car in Banjara Hills,location details...Black gate next to Grand ma's Bakery in Zehra Nagar..its usually locked.. chk for the owner in the bakery
Old 18th February 2011, 12:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this nice little Minor in Bombay last night. I think it has featured in some recent TV ads.

The only old car i ever really wanted! (1953 4-door Morris Minor)-00.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks