Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-48.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilambda1929 (Post 2744758)
Thanks for the posting and the pics. It was indeed very nostalgic to see the 2 cars side by side. I have sadly given the Alvis away but thankfully I still have the Dilambda and also a 1932 Bentley 3 1/2 litre saloon with William Arnold body.

They are still in its original body and working very well.

Would love to see pictures of all the three cars if possible.

Is the Bentley also connected to India ?

George Daniels, one of the greatest watch makers, was also a collector of fine cars. These are being auctioned by Bonhams and included an ex Maharaja of Bhavnagar 1929 4 1/2 Litre four seat tourer.

Cheers harit

Better images of the said car. Very Handsome and really sporting.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2747979)
George Daniels, one of the greatest watch makers, was also a collector of fine cars. These are being auctioned by Bonhams and included an ex Maharaja of Bhavnagar 1929 4 1/2 Litre four seat tourer.

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2747979)

Cheers harit

Hi Sir,

I happen to vaguely remember the name "George Daniels" as I had heard of the name from a friend who is a watch/clockmaker/inventor, i sent this link out to him and i got some pictures of which i post one here and hope is not irrelevant. The picture is from the "Horological Journal" which has a cover of Dr.George Daniels working on what could possibly be the same car? The article is about his watchmaking skills as well as his mechanical skills while celebrating his 70th birthday. If anyone is interested, i could post the entire article. Just not sure if it is the right thread to post.

Thank you,

Srinand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinand (Post 2749930)
Hi Sir,

I happen to vaguely remember the name "George Daniels" as I had heard of the name from a friend who is a watch/clockmaker/inventor, i sent this link out to him and i got some pictures of which i post one here and hope is not irrelevant. The picture is from the "Horological Journal" which has a cover of Dr.George Daniels working on what could possibly be the same car? The article is about his watchmaking skills as well as his mechanical skills while celebrating his 70th birthday. If anyone is interested, i could post the entire article. Just not sure if it is the right thread to post.

Thank you,

Srinand.

Nice picture. It however looks like a blown (supercharged) 4.5 Ltr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 2750442)

It does indeed, maybe it was supercharged at some point.

There is no supercharger visible in earlier pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 2750442)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasif (Post 2750507)
It does indeed, maybe it was supercharged at some point.

There is no supercharger visible in earlier pictures.

Hi Sirs,

They could be different cars, could they not be? Because, the bodies seem to be different, the car for sale seems to have different front mudguards, which slope back while the car in the journal seems to have motorcycle kind of mudguards. Also there are slats in the bonnet on the top in the Journal car while they seem to be missing in the other one. Also the blower is not present in the bonhams car. And i dont know if this makes any sense, but the number plates have different numbers. My two bits of observation.

thank you,

Srinand.

There is a slight mystery here.
The Bhavnagar car was not Supercharged, and George Daniel did have a Supercharged Bentley, the Birkin car also known as Blower No 1 which was a red single seater car.
Perhaps there is no Supercharger on that car in the picture?stupid:

Cheers harit

I have heard that India's famous "Star of India" is sailing, to India.
If this is true, then Kudos to the Rajkot family, hope the car will remain in India. This will be the first big ticket car to return, and with no help from the Indian Government.
Looking forward to an opportunity to see this car live, in these photos she is great.

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2751592)
Kudos to the Rajkot family

clap:clap:

It is indeed wonderful that this car is coming back. I hope in the years to come collectors in India will find ways to bring many more such special cars back home, where they belong !

A photo in poor condition, but just have a look at the car! Which one could this be? Those wheel spats and the rear may strike a chord in someones mind.

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2753325)
A photo in poor condition, but just have a look at the car! Which one could this be? Those wheel spats and the rear may strike a chord in someones mind.

Cheers harit

It is ofcourse the striking Jodhpur Rolls, still in fine fettle with them.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rolls02.jpg

This is a 1960 Chevy convertible, probably being used during some Jodhpur event.
The picture is damaged in places.

Cheers harit

Late HH Nawab Mohammad Jamiyat Khanji Babi Bahadur of Balasinor and son in law of the Nawab of Junagadh. Car appears to be a late 1920s Buick.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-balasinor01.jpg

Another Junagadh car in the Reliability trials 1905, possibly a curved dash Oldsmobile

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-junagadh-1.jpg

LA VIE AU GRAND AIR numéro 331 du 12 janvier 1905

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2740652)
Can anyone identify which palace this may be based on these elephant heads seen on the wall? Anyone who has seen this would remember.
And there seems to be a large car in the background.

Cheers harit

Harit this is the Theosophical Society headquarters in Adyar, Madras. It's a very beautiful campus with a stunning location right where the river meets the sea. On the other side of the river is the Chettinad Palace, also a very lovely palace.

The Society was a very rich organisation. Annie Besant served as President