Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-55.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPS (Post 3048968)
I wonder if Pearey was actually Pyare and if they were dealers for other manufacturers as well?

KPS, here is something to answer your questions!

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-pearey-lal-austin-a40-adv.jpg

Maharaja(Zamindar) of Dhargaon (Khargone M.P) with his family members in a Chevrolet Tourer (probably 1928)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyml (Post 3081560)
HH Mir of Khairpur arrived in Bahawalpur to wed Princess Sahibzadi Sadiqa Abbasi, daughter of HH Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Abbasi V, in special train with BWP coaches and was taken from the train station to Sadiq Garh Palace in 45WR as seen in these two pics.

The groom looks a little nervous... nice shoes too. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep (Post 808726)
Seeing this thread now only.
As a matter of fact, I have no respect for all those maharajas, who were very careless with money (which was never accumulated by hard work). I saw a couple of responses in this thread which indicated similar views.
Search on the internet for that the king of 'Swaziland' is upto. It's one of the poorest countries in the world.
Apologise, I just started reading the thread so this may seem off topic.

I was been there for around 6-7 months at 2008-09. King is enjoying an enviable life there, he has a large fleet of BMWs and other exotics, country is rather a poor one, will come up with some of the snaps there in a separate thread.

'found this video about the Royals of Chattisgarh. A couple of vintage cars like a WW2 Jeep and a 50s Desoto can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQNxlrGDss

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-sandur-dodge-1932-frt-3q-cropped.jpg

The caption reads "A 1932 Dodge parked on the Palace premises"

Courtesy: Outlookindia

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3164073)
Attachment 1104048

This car is a one owner car from the Sandur stable and was restored last year by the well known restorer from Bangalore Mr. Vinay K A. His father the late K C Aswath was very well known for the quality of his restoration. I was told the senior members of the Sandur family we very excited when they saw the restored car.

Cheers

KPS

Quote:

Was restored in Bangalore a while back

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 793986)
Attached are two interesting photographs (courtesy of TopFoto.uk) Mahatma Gandhi with the Raja of Kalakankar (circa 1929) Buick ?.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 1724663)
Came back to a post of 2008. A friend of mine was recently offered this 'original' photo, without the watermark. He looked at it closely and discovered that the Mahatma was inserted, ............

I recently received this page from an unknown magazine / book, which happened to have atleast two pages on Gandhi, back to back. And the photo with the Raja of Kalankar is seen, a much clearer print. Had a good look, and then thought that some pics can be put up to check whether our earlier thoughts were correct. Please have a look and judge for yourself. Apparently all photos are of 1929, the Buick would match.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gandhi-2.jpg

Gandhi with Sardar Patel

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gandhi-1.jpg

On the pack of the page above is this famous photo, the lower picture is autographed.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gandhi3.jpg

The photo from the original post.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gandhi4.jpg

Enlarged portion, is the image of the Mahatma inserted?

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPS (Post 3164122)
This car is a one owner car from the Sandur stable and was restored last year by the well known restorer from Bangalore
KPS

KPS, what other classic cars are they having now. I remember a lovely 220 D that was the personal drive of the then Head of the family in 1970s. He used to drive it himself and never give it to any driver. He loved that car so much that he only used to drive it to the then authorized service point of Benz - Webbs in the MG Road

By the way does Webbs exist in any from now ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Quote:

Attachment 1104048

I have reconfirmed that this is actually a 1930 Model

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_nairtvm (Post 3170946)
KPS, what other classic cars are they having now. I remember a lovely 220 D that was the personal drive of the then Head of the family in 1970s. He used to drive it himself and never give it to any driver. He loved that car so much that he only used to drive it to the then authorized service point of Benz - Webbs in the MG Road

By the way does Webbs exist in any from now ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

The other cars they have is a Merc 220S, Ford Jeep & a Jeep Wagoner. Guess the Merc is the same, but a S not D. The Merc was also restored by the same restorer.

Webbs does not exists and now we have the Raheja Towers which is a 14 floor building, though the petrol bunk in front still exists. Webbs used to own a Bentley, I wonder what happened to it.

Cheers

KPS

An ad for a Jaipur Abbot bodied Bentley in the August 2013 issue of Classic and Sports Cars.

An interesting book is out called The Royal Udaipur RR GLK 21 published by Mapin for Rs 3999.00

Saw the article in an Outlook traveller magazine only remember that the cover has something todo with Angkorwat. I think it was May 2013

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasli (Post 3179963)
An interesting book is out called The Royal Udaipur RR GLK 21 published by Mapin for Rs 3999.00

Saw the article in an Outlook traveller magazine only remember that the cover has something todo with Angkorwat. I think it was May 2013

Cheers

The book was co-authored by Gautam Sen.

I also believe there is a bit of fancy in the painting. Though "State-X" plates were often transferred from car to car in the Maharaja's fleet, "Udaipur-4" belonged to a the 20/25 tourer GNS11 in most published photograhs.

The limousine was GKC10, a Thrupp & Maberly, "Udaipur-6".

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 3177883)
An ad for a Jaipur Abbot bodied Bentley in the August 2013 issue of Classic and Sports Cars.

A clear image of the same