Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 08:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
One more man.

Pls dont increase number of posts.

Mods i feel we need to have one Thread running these kind of informations.
boss i'd disagree.

When every n00b is perfectly right in starting a thread for his What Car, why not an interesting place for such beauties.

Or think of every new dude posting a thread for showing off/asking for ICE.

if that is okay, so is this. Unless GTO says otherwise, no?
PS: Not that I'd contribute anything, but more eyecandy is ALWAYS welcome
Old 10th March 2008, 10:01   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
This is a picture of a Gurney Nutting RR. Taken at Dhanbad (then in Bihar) in 1967. This is probably a 25-30 like BRG-1 but looks rather large like a Phantom III in this picture. It had a BRR number plate and was bought by the then owner from the original British owner in Calcutta. My grandfather, who was in the motor car business, probably found the car for him. I used to have another picture and will try that one too.
Don't know much about Rolls but it does look like BRG 1 especially the way the fender meets the running board. What a stylish car though.

Do you remember the Packards in and around Lucknow? I was told apart from the 35 V12 in Delhi and the Twin Six in the Mallya collection there was another V12. Apart from the V12's what were the Packards you remember? Perhaps you could post pictures of any Packards you knew in a Packards in India thread.

Last edited by DKG : 10th March 2008 at 10:03.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Don't know much about Rolls but it does look like BRG 1 especially the way the fender meets the running board. What a stylish car though.
Found another picture of the Dhanbad Rolls Royce Gurney Nutting 4 door drophead in my grandfather's garage - for routine maintenance. Picture taken in 1971 by me with a poor twin-lens reflex camera; not even a Yashica. Messed up the focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Gurney Nutting creations in India-rr_2530_dhn_67_02.jpg  

Chhayanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2008, 09:41   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found another picture of the Dhanbad Rolls Royce Gurney Nutting 4 door drophead in my grandfather's garage - for routine maintenance.
Oh my!!! what a stunner. I wonder what was the quality of the minds of these designers who created such fabulous shapes in steel and aluminium. There was something about the 1930's when everything seemed to peak. The houses, the cars, the jewellery, the porcelain. The 1930's are in my opinion the most glorious decade ever in the past few centuries.

Thanks a million for sharing pictures of these rare treasures
Old 15th March 2008, 17:50   #20
BHPian

BRG 1 in the beginning......
Gurney Nutting creations in India-brg1-.jpg
Gurney Nutting creations in India-brg-1-b.jpg
Gurney Nutting creations in India-brg-1-c.jpg
Here in its intermediate form
Gurney Nutting creations in India-scan0035.jpg
And now.
Gurney Nutting creations in India-untitled-xxx.jpg
Nice to see them all together

Picture Source : The first 3 photos of Rolls-Royce 25/30 BRG 1 painted red were sourced from : Rolls-Royce Heritage by Richard Bird

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2008 at 18:15.
Old 15th March 2008, 19:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
BRG 1 in the beginning......
Attachment 1416
Attachment 1417
Attachment 1418
Oh yes indeedy.

These (or very similar) photos were also featured in a lovely book on Rolls Royces that I happened to come across in Singapore. Let me dig it up and put up the scans. It made no mention of the cars history or links with India.
Old 15th March 2008, 19:29   #22
BHPian

These were in "Rolls Royce Heritage" by Richard Bird.
If this site had a central picture section it would be wonderful for those who don't have a library of books. At present they are disappearing into the layers of threads and imageshack issues. I would be prepared to re upload all the photos into a static photo section... (Discreet nudge to the mods)
Old 15th March 2008, 19:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Oh yes indeedy.
These (or very similar) photos were also featured in a lovely book on Rolls Royces that I happened to come across in Singapore. Let me dig it up and put up the scans. It made no mention of the cars history or links with India.
The assertion in the picture title that only two were made in this body style appears to be inaccurate. I have uploaded pictures of two RR 25-30 Gurney Nutting cars with the same styling as BRG-1. DKG mentions a green one as well (though the provenance can be verified from the company and coachbuilding records).
Old 16th March 2008, 01:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The assertion in the picture title that only two were made in this body style appears to be inaccurate.
Absolutely I believe that the author is mistaken and not the definitive authority on either RR or Gurney Nutting. These were more "pretty picture" books.
Have you any more wonderful photographs?
Regards
Julian
Old 16th March 2008, 02:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely I believe that the author is mistaken and not the definitive authority on either RR or Gurney Nutting. These were more "pretty picture" books.
Have you any more wonderful photographs?
Regards
Julian
Not many more, I think. I seem to recollect my aunt taking some more pictures when we took the cream RR for a drive in Dhanbad. She is very old now but I will ask her. This will take time.

The rear three quarter view seems to be the most elegant in this car. It did'nt occur to me to take that view of the metallic blue RR from Kanpur and the crowd was hemming me in anyway - I was just twelve when I took the picture.
Best wishes
Old 17th March 2008, 09:31   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These were in "Rolls Royce Heritage" by Richard Bird.
If this site had a central picture section it would be wonderful for those who don't have a library of books. At present they are disappearing into the layers of threads and imageshack issues. I would be prepared to re upload all the photos into a static photo section... (Discreet nudge to the mods)
I quite agree Julian. It would be wonderful to create a pure reference section marque wise only with pictures and reference data. Here users comments not adding to the info can be moved to another thread leaving the central archive uncluttered.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:40   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

To me BRG1 looks perfect in the maroon. I saw her at the Expo, in cream she looked bland and seemed overshadowed by the green Bentley also with the same owner

Julian, wonderful to post pictures of the car in all its different colours. Thanks again for sharing

Last edited by DKG : 17th March 2008 at 09:42.
Old 17th March 2008, 15:33   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

More of BRG1, recently displayed at the Auto Expo
Attached Thumbnails
Gurney Nutting creations in India-img_0191.jpg  

Gurney Nutting creations in India-img_0190.jpg  

Gurney Nutting creations in India-img_0189.jpg  

Old 17th March 2008, 16:30   #29
BHPian

I serviced this car for over 10 years and apart from oil changes etc the only work required was new fuel pump diaphrams (they dry up, as doubtless you have all found) and points and degumming the carburettor and fuel system. Which a considerably time consuming chore which all cars need. I have seen 2 inches depth of solid gum in some petrol tanks. Caustic soda and hot water was the only remedy (careful of the paint).
This Rolls was so nicely restored it never needed other work. It is had an excellent storage environment which also makes a huge difference.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Just thinking out loud on a hunch - does this car have Indian connections?

Bentley 4- door pillarless saloon Gurney Nutting/Carlton Carriage 1937 *for sale - PreWarCar.Com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks