Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 18:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand!

There is a small mechanic shop near my home, which I don't consider for repairs or service. But once a month I make a brief halt there and the mechanic's devil will bring out the oil can and apply to all the oiling points. I pay him Rs 20.00 and move off!
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:12   #92
BANNED

Re: DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand!

The last time I cleaned my chain was back in 2011, haven't bothered to clean a chain since, I honestly do not understand this urge do maintain a spotless chain, when one oils a chain the lubricant flings off hard debris and the lighter debris actually helps hold the lubricant in places for longer and prevents chain from rusting, which actually is the reason why we lube chains.

Mechanical chains are rare these days and the majority are sealed chains which take care of their own lubrication, the only maintenance required is to prevent them from rusting.

Having said that, if for whatever reason I'm working on the mechanicals I make it a point to keep the keys away from the ignition, preferably in my own pocket, cause for all I know one of my dimwit friends could drop by and start the Motorcycle for God knows whatever reason that applies to their logic.

As for chain maintenance, I simply lube with gear oil whenever the rollers start shining, on extended high milers I use heavy duty grease.

Stay safe guys.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 23:27   #93
BHPian

That sounds so aweful! Hope you get well soon iron.head and get back on the saddle as soon as possible
Thank you for sharing your experience. It was very valuable.

Its been a while since I've cleaned the chain of my bike. But I used to always run the engine to keep the chain moving while cleaning. Earlier I used to use a toothbrush for cleaning. Later I purchased a chain cleaning brush (someone asked a few pages back if they were available in India. Yes they are!)
Here is an example

These brushes are surprisingly effective when combined with a chain spray (Motul is the best). They always resulted in a very clean chain. I request people to use these. Even if they break you can always get a new one.

Also another thing I always used to keep in mind is to hold any brush on the chain above the swingarm so that even if it slips out of my hand, it will always be directed away from the sprocket. This way the process is pretty safe. Its actually safer than grabbing the chain with hand and spinning the wheel manually as that requires a lot of coordination.
arijitkanrar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 09:16   #94
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the freak accident. Wish you speedy recovery.

Chain brushes are available on Amazon India and at very reasonable prices.

Below is sample of same.
Attached Thumbnails
DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand!-chain-cleaner-brush.jpg  

sacrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:28   #95
BHPian

The very same thing has happened to me but fortunately, I lost only the nail of my right hand thumb. Still had to spend five painful sleepless nights.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st March 2021 at 10:21. Reason: Typo edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks