Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 10:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road

Quite an interesting thread. I really support this move by the government,however , there are certain problems we will have to face like :

1. Getting fined for a fused headlamp even in day time.
2. Getting fined for fitting a third party headlamp or a different kind of headlamp like a projector head with a HID or LED in it.
3. With the headlight on, the normal parking light won't look catchy.

And the worst of all ;

For riders like me who uses a yezdi/jawa , the headlamp at times are like candle light bright , which would be noticed by the cops thinking the headlight is not ON at all..!!

One more point to discuss is that , will people be noticing the headlights so much , when everyone has it ON all the time ?
JozfGT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 20:50   #47
BHPian

Just where the fun part ends, the bad part starts to surface on this topic. Had an apprehension regarding the AHO feature/mandate but kept mum on it (wasn't part of TBHP then either). Admins kindly escalate it if something could be done regarding it.

We are not perfect beings, and on top of that there always exist the people with above average IQ in every city and every town who drive in high beams. (Related thread). Now, the mandate in AHO probably meant 'Auto', but for obvious cost cutting reasons 'Auto' has been replaced by 'Always'. The point is, night wasn't enough alone, for the bikes which boast of better headlights, now you face the wrath of ignorant drivers on your face, even in daytime. From a certain head-on angles in dense traffic, high beams can still blind you in daytime as well. I for once had been 'glared' by a brand new Activa. For folks who feel its not a concern, try facing the P220 high beam even in broad daylight head-on. You'll know. The government must have brought this mandate with a good intention to avoid road accidents in nights where a two wheeler driver couldn't be spotted due to no headlight. But now the point is, with this 'Always Headlamp On' feature, probably the vehicle owner (a large mass, but not everyone) will be ignorant on whether the headlamp is set on low beam or high since he/she doesn't need to take it on highways but 'Just a city errand', be it day or night. They know its always on, so they'll be able to see something off their headlamps. While my concern is regarding two wheelers, the above average IQ people drive all sorts of vehicles. For the same reason I find headlamp setup of Baleno Alpha way too flashy, though nice. Haven't yet gone to the accessory list (headlamps) of RE and Thar.

The second concern is, a few brands are probably trying to shape this strange use to suit the aesthetics on their vehicles. No offence to any brand, I'm myself an Apache owner and totally love this bike and brand loyally. However, recently spotted a TVS Victor showcased in an event, where I saw an LED light strip below the headlamp. Caught my attention, and researched it a bit to know it was a DRL. But I kept my reservations of thoughts. Just yesterday, spotted a TVS XL moped with the same strip, and oh boy! It was too bright, even when it was just 5:30 in the evening. Not dark. The worse part with DRL designing is, aftermarket assemblies, and a few OE DRLs don't focus on the brightness, and those bulbs are just levelled flat 90 degrees to the ground. Its a very bright high beam. Coming to the moped, the actual headlamp was off. Some elderly folk around took interest in the bright bling, and probably inquired, when the moped owner demonstrated different beams, and the LED strip goes off with the high beam, and comes on when the low beam is selected with the headlamp off. All in all, now the moped has two high beams, major one with a single halogen and minor one (always on) with multiple LED lights. It is distracting and blinding at certain angles. Imagine a lot of similar vehicles on road. Not a pretty sight. I don't have anything personal against TVS. But what if more brands join the same bandwagon.

I feel the government could add some flexibility to this mandate to begin with, where DRLs (not necessarily blinding bright) are needed. For similar reason I guess US cars have mandatory orange reflector on edges of headlamps. Something to begin with, since this may make things tough in coming times.
And just not government has to do everything, the common masses have to be educated on when to use low beams and high beams, and usage of traffic signs and lights. Roads will be way too safer. I do admire truck drivers on highways a lot more since they properly use low/high beams, switch to low beams on any oncoming vehicle, use proper indicators, which even a lot of city people don't follow. (There may be exceptions, but I'm comparing majority vs majority).
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Just where the fun part ends, the bad part starts to surface on this topic. Had an apprehension regarding the AHO feature
a few brands are probably trying to shape this strange use to suit the aesthetics on their vehicles. No offence to any brand, I'm myself an Apache owner and totally love this bike and brand loyally. However, recently spotted a TVS Victor showcased in an event, where I saw an LED light strip below the headlamp. Caught my attention, and researched it a bit to know it was a DRL. But I kept my reservations of thoughts. Just yesterday, spotted a TVS XL moped with the same strip, and oh boy! It was too bright, even when it was just 5:30 in the evening.
But what if more brands join the same bandwagon.
Something which I predicted just two days back, found this in today's newspaper. Bajaj joins TVS.
Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road-jpr3371630large.jpg
The question remains, is this DRL being used as an alternative to the low-beam? If yes, then what's the brightness/flashy-ness? Is the angle of it actually put for the low beams or 'on-your-face' ? Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 10th October 2017 at 13:37. Reason: missed a sentence
Old 10th October 2017, 14:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something which I predicted just two days back, found this in today's newspaper. Bajaj joins TVS.
Attachment 1684070
The question remains, is this DRL being used as an alternative to the low-beam? If yes, then what's the brightness/flashy-ness? Is the angle of it actually put for the low beams or 'on-your-face' ? Keeping fingers crossed.
I think DRLs are never an alternative to low beams. As the name suggests, it is meant for day time running conditions. I wish all the bikes had DRLs for daytime running instead of the always-on low beams. There are several ignorant riders who even ride with high beams on during daytime.

One make and model of a bike sold in India (No idea which one) has super bright LEDs , one cannot even look at them, so bright it will make your eyes pain. Winder who certifies these things.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th October 2017 at 14:06.
Old 10th October 2017, 16:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think DRLs are never an alternative to low beams. As the name suggests, it is meant for day time running conditions. I wish all the bikes had DRLs for daytime running instead of the always-on low beams. There are several ignorant riders who even ride with high beams on during daytime.

One make and model of a bike sold in India (No idea which one) has super bright LEDs , one cannot even look at them, so bright it will make your eyes pain. Winder who certifies these things.
I understand, but these DRLs are probably made from the point of view of utilising the AHO feature. You may refer to my complete statement at my previous post in the same thread

There have to be regulations for DRLs too in nere future, considering the poor way they are being designed.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There have to be regulations for DRLs too in nere future, considering the poor way they are being designed.
I thought that vehicles which have DRLs, had them to support the AHO feature (by letting the DRLs remain always ON, instead of the Headlamps).
Looks like I was mistaken.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks