Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 12:21   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Ok, I shall ask Bachoo Motors if it is possible to make a change and also if its possible to customise a pair.
These are seriously locally made? If so, amazing. They look like the real deal. I guess actually wearing and using them would be the real test.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:46   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Hello guys, thinking of getting Spartan Helios since there are good reviews about it everywhere. I have heard that the airflow is great for the summer. But how does it fare during those cold winter nights and early mornings of Bangalore? Is the rain liner enough for the cold or is the add on thermal liner needed?
The rain liner is more than sufficient for the Indian winter. However i will put on the rain liner only if its unbearably cold. I prefer colder air than warm.

In Rains the rain liner will completely cover your torso. No water will seep

Do Riding boots come in different sizes? I Don't see the sizes option at all on the PRS store for SIDI boots. Also how to order online without trying?

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th May 2014 at 14:55. Reason: Merging posts
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:14   #1563
BHPian

There is a new riding gear shop that has come up in Pune.
Its called Moto 101.
Moto 101, Shop 9 Maliki Chambers, Dhole Patil Road, Pune phone 020-261-60135

Got some photos on WhatsApp.
Shoes from SIDI and Spartan Pro Gear. Jackets from Spartan.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img20140508wa0014.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img20140508wa0009.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img20140508wa0011.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img20140508wa0012.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img20140508wa0013.jpg  

the VTEC guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:54   #1564
Distinguished - BHPian

Tarmac Boots are a nice discovery. Seem strong and decent quality for that price. Question is whether they are similar or better quality than Spartan products

I note the heel and toe protector are there only in tourer boots but, not the short ankle ones

Look forward to feedback of actual owners !!!
Old 9th May 2014, 15:00   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
These are seriously locally made? If so, amazing. They look like the real deal. I guess actually wearing and using them would be the real test.
Thats what i was told when i went there to buy my jacket and gloves. I tried on a pair of riding boots and they were comfortable to walk around in and the armour seemed good enough to me. The actual experienced riders like yourself would really be able to tell if they are good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Do Riding boots come in different sizes? I Don't see the sizes option at all on the PRS store for SIDI boots. Also how to order online without trying?
Yes they do. If you know the european or american size you wear, it makes it easier ordering online. Just send PRS a mail asking for the size you are looking for and they will get back to you. Their FB page does carry what sizes they have in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
What helmet company do they display?. The green and black combination caught my eye as it compliments my bike.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 15:21   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Its called Moto 101.
Moto 101, Shop 9 Maliki Chambers, Dhole Patil Road, Pune phone 020-261-60135

Got some photos on WhatsApp.
Shoes from SIDI and Spartan Pro Gear. Jackets from Spartan.
Nice to see some different colored jackets from spartan over there. I had to wait for nearly 2 months for a Orange colored Helios in Large size from the Biking Spirit shop here in Bangalore. Apparently they order color on demand only because of logistical reasons

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 9th May 2014 at 15:24.
Old 9th May 2014, 15:37   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
What helmet company do they display?. The green and black combination caught my eye as it compliments my bike.
I have not visited the shop yet. But what I remember from the conversation over phone they stock SOL and another brand. Don't remember the other brand. Yep the green black combo will suit your ZX14R
Old 9th May 2014, 18:05   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tarmac designs are copied from Rjay and SIDI shoes as per what i was informed. Since its a local brand i guess one can custom make his shoe too..let me ask Bachoo Motors. When i bought my SIDI boots the zip was below the flap, but when you actually wear it the zip is under the flap, maybe its the same with this
Most of the waterproof boots have a membrane / gator on the inside of the zipper to orevent water from getting in. Zippers are a weak spot when it comes to waterproofing.

I would not spend money on these. A few bucks more takes me to A-stars / TCX range of boots. Been around for years; tried and tested by riders the world over in real world conditions.

For anyone on a budget; check these out:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...182_59409_1501

If you have someone coming down from the states; this does not seem like a bad deal at all! Some you tube video reviews give it a thumbs up "as a commuter boot". Despite its name; I would not take these to the track. But anyday better than regualar tennis shoes; keds etc. from a protection standpoint.

For the money - definitely worth a shot IMO.
Old 9th May 2014, 18:43   #1569
Team-BHP Support

Here's my current riding gear.
The helmet was purchased locally after trying testing fit. The rest was bought from Revzilla.
I like the AGV Sport & SIDI gear because they match my fit.
  • HJC CL-16 helmet
  • AGV Sport Solare textile jacket
  • AGV Sport Mayhem short gloves
  • SIDI Gas riding shoes
Stock pictures:
The Riding Gear thread-riding-gear-current.jpg

Still need to get armored riding pants / knee guards, and next on list is a pair of TCX Boots.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 21:29   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions on a new helmet:

Getting tired of the Gmax, pressure points, buffeting on speed et al. I have a $200 budget and will be ordering from the states. I have listed some of the helmets I am considering. If you were in a similar position; what would you choose?

AGV K3:

Reasonably lightweight (1500 odd gms for a Large), has a neutral (oval) headshape which should work for me, tried and tested AGV brand & the general quality associated with it.
-ves; expensive faceshield, is polycarb and comes in one shell size only so not really as light as it could be (nitpick really). Costs $160 (closeout @ cyclegear, going fast - http://www.cyclegear.com/c/brand/AGV...38610_59409_21)

AGV K4

All the goodness of AGV K3 plus 2 shell sizes, fiberglass and a lot more lighweight than K3. Is ECE certified also; so safer (?). Reviews suggest its more narrower than the K3 so maybe would fit my long oval head better
-ves : Most expensive @ $220 (cyclegear again), limited graphics (dont care much though), same expensive shield

Icon Airmada:

Revzilla calls this helmet a race / attack fit. Cool na? a very oval headshape (a round head would probably explode)
Its supposed to be super snug, flows a ton of air but is still very quiet, is very lightweight, 4 friggin shell sizes, looks great, reasonably priced ($180), DOT and ECE rated
-Ves : Reviews do caution that it can be uncomfortably tight for some folks. Some buyers suggest going one size up; while others stuck to their guns and were happy with their normal size. Almost every other review did mention that taking the helmet off hurts your ears, its that much of a snug fit. And the face shield is expensive too

HJC FG 17:

Snell rated, fiberglass and lightweight (with 2 shell sizes). Reasonably priced with a reasonably priced shield (and pin lock ready). Revzilla customer care (Devon) tells me this is not a typical HJC round fit but is more neutral and accomodates oval heads better
-ves : Still not sure if the fit would be better than the above 3. Plus the HJC quality can be a bit of a downer. Checked out the CL 16 helmet at a local store. It was good but not AGV good. Icon I hear has fabulous build quality (for the same price). I do not want to be stuck with a cheap helmet only to regret later

Look forward to your inputs. Also; feel free to suggest an alternative helmet from the list above. The budget can be enhanced to a $250 if required but would like to keep it under $200.

Thanks!
Old 9th May 2014, 21:58   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

AGV K3:

Reasonably lightweight (1500 odd gms for a Large), has a neutral (oval) headshape which should work for me, tried and tested AGV brand & the general quality associated with it.
-ves; expensive faceshield, is polycarb and comes in one shell size only so not really as light as it could be (nitpick really). Costs $160 (closeout @ cyclegear, going fast - http://www.cyclegear.com/c/brand/AGV...38610_59409_21)
I have been using AGV K3 and HJC RPHA10, i got AGV mainly because i totally love the "rossi" replicas they make and the paint quality, Must say that this helmet dint disappoint me at all.

I find it comparatively light than my HJC and has very good aerodynamics.
I totally love the fit of AGV( my head shape is between round and oval) and does good job in noise cancellation too. The quality of helmet is top notch inside-out.
160$ is very good price i must say. Go ahead with the purchase,I am sure you won't regret it

Regards,
harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 12:11   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

SIDI Gas riding shoes
These look fantastic, what is the price you paid?
Old 15th May 2014, 19:20   #1573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
These look fantastic, what is the price you paid?
Yes, I love the look. They're available for $119.

Just to let you know, they don't have ankle protection.
They're very light shoes, slightly hardened in the heel & toe areas for basic protection but they're mainly street-riding shoes that you can walk around in.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:51   #1574
BHPian

If this is the budget you are looking at better consider the aeromoto boots available on competition accessories (www.compacc.com). At a sub $100-$110 its a steal. Comes with a sound protection for the shin, ankle, heel, strong toe box and also comes with a waterproof breathable hypora membrane. So for those of you having your friends / relatives coming down from the US, it can't get better than this.
Old 16th May 2014, 01:13   #1575
BHPian

I have been Using AGV K4 for quite sometime now and its very comfortable and light when in terms of weight.
The Visual is good enough also,i use the clear screen but the light smoke also is good.
Keep an eye in Amazon,u might a deal soon there.

thanks
MSVG

Most Viewed