Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 16:42   #7426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
The infamous Private Bus Race of Kerala.
A close-call, a real close one at that. After 00:42s.
What on earth!!!?!?! For heaven's sake was he thinking!?! God (if he/she, exists) save us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
That's scary, man. Thank God these morons behind wheels don't get to lay their hands on Volvos and Mercs with powerful hearts and hi-tech electronics on board.
Why of course! These morons are none other than the charioteers of our Volvo drivers. You do know about the no. of Volvo (and now merc) accidents occuring, don't you?

Take a look at this.
(In Q4 of 2010; near anantapur)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-29082010956.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-29082010960.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 8th February 2011 at 16:46. Reason: Please do not quote a video.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:46   #7427
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^ My point is, if the man wasn't there, the bus driver would have made the turn without drifting. He made the last second extra turn of his wheel, just to avoid the man on the road. Yes, he has been driving dangerously, same way as every other bus that was on that video and he became exception only because of of the biker.
With all due respect, you are wrong in your assessment. The bus guy was way too fast for the turn(observe the first bus in the video, he takes the same line as the flying bus) and the right rear wheels lift off pretty early, has nothing to do with the biker. Observe the lines of the other buses and you can see that there is quite a bit of gap between the biker and the bus. There is no lat minute turn, but it is a miracle that the bus didn't topple. Guess these guys are used to driving like this.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:30   #7428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I beg to differ. The guy on the bike was on the road but was on extreme left. He could have gone a bit more but in India I will consider that quite good. The bus driver was totally over-speeding for the type of vehicle he was driving. This doesn't appear to be a blind curve that he didn't see the bike that he had to do that dangerous maneuvere. The bus driver was on the limit that's why the drift and hence driving dangerously.
Looking at the speed at which the bus went away after the drifting, seems like very few knew what has happened.
Surely the bus driver would/should have slowed down after this close call.
Finally we are the people analyzing the incident and learning the lessons on their behalf.
What can we do with such morons on the road waiting to make our lives miserable
By the way who was making this video with such precise premonition of this incident to occur?

HC
Old 8th February 2011, 19:58   #7429
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Was he auditioning for the new installment of the F&F series.

Good catch. Were you just randonly shooting the videos there and happend to catch this or what?

And acutally, it had nothing to do with that man on the bike. The bus guy approached the curve it self at a very high speed and when he was back in a straight line, it is very evident and simple physics for a vehicle to do that

This is one of the major cause of accidents involving trucks and buses.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:33   #7430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
And we have tons of such morons ignorant of the danger of stopping on the road, wherever they want and expect others to 'look and drive'.!
How true and why just bikers, the car wallas are not far behind.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02415.jpg

Was approaching the traffic signal when suddenly this shiny new Spark comes in from the service road and coolly parks in the middle of the road perpendicular to and cutting across all three lanes of traffic as the driver wanted to take a right at the red light. I generally approach signals with the right foot on the brake even when the light is green so was able to stop at a fair distance, unlike some others who would have taken the car along with them for a meaty T Bone. Not an accident in the true sense but one waiting to happen sooner than later.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:49   #7431
BHPian

Quote:
That's scary, man. Thank God these morons behind wheels don't get to lay their hands on Volvos and Mercs with powerful hearts and hi-tech electronics on board.
with ABS, powerful brakes and all other electronics, makes it more likely to avoid an accident.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:02   #7432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
One of the most horrifying accidents I've seen, which occurred a couple of days before 15 Aug '10, between Bangalore and Anantapur. Why? Look closer at the interior pics and you will see blood on the newspapers, seats, ac vents, windscreen, dashboard etc. This occurred when that stretch of the Bangalore - Hyderabad 4 lane highway was opened only from one side. In the night, these speeding Swifts collided head on, as they had to share on side of the highway. The Dzire drivers was wearing his seatbelt, but not the others. One person named Madhusudhan died, but I don't know if it was someone from the swift or the Dzire's passenger. The DZire's driver side had almost no blood. As always buckling up saves lives.

I have more pics but they're too gory.
Looks like both the stereo sets (both cars) are missing. Strangely in both the cars, the middle unit of the dashboard seems to have been pulled out.

any thoughts??

Last edited by aah78 : 8th February 2011 at 21:24. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:07   #7433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Why can't the authorities paint the roads?
This section of road was relaid about two weeks back. They have not completed relaying for the entire distance - marking would be done only after the entire section is covered.

The new surface is amazing - very little unevenness (which is a hallmark of Kerala's roads). But the edges are "deep" - a low slung car will sure damage its undercarriage if it has to pull down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
With all due respect, you are wrong in your assessment. The bus guy was way too fast for the turn(observe the first bus in the video, he takes the same line as the flying bus) and the right rear wheels lift off pretty early, has nothing to do with the biker.
I second this. The Thrissur-Kodungallur route (on which this place is located) is one busy private bus section - with a bus every 3-5 minutes. So you can guess the kind of competition among buses on this route. About 6 months back, KeSRTC began services on this route (a bus every 15 minutes). With this the rash driving has only increased - these buses scare me off the road everytime I drive through.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:12   #7434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
The infamous Private Bus Race of Kerala.
A close-call, a real close one at that. After 00:42s.
Oh my dear Lord! That was scary. I shudder to even think what would have happened if that bus had hit the two-wheeler or even worse turned on its side.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:34   #7435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
OT:

nope; that was Vin Diesel himself driving that bus. he was just showing other drivers how it is done

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
How true and why just bikers, the car wallas are not far behind.

Attachment 498200

Was approaching the traffic signal when suddenly this shiny new Spark comes in from the service road and coolly parks in the middle of the road perpendicular to and cutting across all three lanes of traffic as the driver wanted to take a right at the red light. I generally approach signals with the right foot on the brake even when the light is green so was able to stop at a fair distance, unlike some others who would have taken the car along with them for a meaty T Bone. Not an accident in the true sense but one waiting to happen sooner than later.
that's a woman driver, isn't it!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th February 2011 at 22:37.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:35   #7436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
with ABS, powerful brakes and all other electronics, makes it more likely to avoid an accident.
Agree with xotiq, if the bus was actually a Volvo, Merc or any new-gen Tatas, there was lesser chance of this drifting exercise. But end-result, the bus will fail to drift away and guided with all these techs and at the hand of the reckless driver, the bus would have drove straight into the unsuspecting biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's amazing: the guy on the bike doesn't even move! Maybe so engrossed in a phone call (or something) he didn't even realise it had happened?
Even I thought of that. If he is a regular bloke seeing this video, he'll be like "Hmm..that guy looks like me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
the private bus drivers in Kerala, specially in Thrissur, will put the BMTC drivers to shame! these guys are direct descendants of Michael Schumacher (or at least they think they are)! you should see how these guys drive on the Thrissur - Kunnamkulam route! they race each other to grab commuters and some times dangerously so.
I just hope they become extinct soon as I am a would-be SIL of that area and hates if someone gets too close to my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
God (if he/she, exists) save us.
He exists, hence than biker is alive now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Oh my dear Lord! That was scary. I shudder to even think what would have happened if that bus had hit the two-wheeler or even worse turned on its side.
I agree!
Old 8th February 2011, 22:37   #7437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
These female drivers, I tell ya!
Old 8th February 2011, 23:06   #7438
BHPian

^^ Same happens with me many time. People come out of no way in front of me like they are driving in tank or something, they expect me to stop for them and save them else they are just ready to get banged. They don't do their part of sensible driving. Most irritated thing is when I have already given indicator that I am turning left, I have slowed down and almost turning and a biker overtakes from left and then looking back and staring at me with anger. Why don't these bikers (due respect to all bikers, I have a bike and I ride it responsibly) understand that they should not overtake from left as car drivers can't judge their presence.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:09   #7439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
These female drivers, I tell ya!
+100 to this...

If you ever do come to Pune, you will see all this circus happening on 2 wheels! Just like the spark lady; in Pune, 2 wheeler riders esp. the ladies cut you off from anywhere and everywhere. Once known as the city of cycles, it should now be called as the city of 2 wheelers.

And god forbid you, never even try to give them a piece of your mind, or you should be ready for some of the rudest arguments and spoil your day.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:30   #7440
BHPian

A lorry fell on its side (probably because he drove like that private bus driver) on NH44, and that side of the highway was closed with boulders and barricades that did not have any radium strips . An driver at night, failed to see the boulders and went straight over one and hit the divider. The poor guy was sleeping in the indigo with a scratched cheek and a bleeding ear.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-090220113573.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 9th February 2011 at 12:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks