Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 09:49   #12931
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yesterday I witnessed a second generation Scorpio getting T-boned by a new generation Verna in Whitefield, at about 4 PM. The attached image shows the the spot of the accident.

I was heading towards Brookefields from Hoodi. Suddenly, a white AP registered Verna appeared in my RVM, overtook me in no time, reached the stop light (red) at Graphite India signal, ignored it and went ahead. At this time, the grape-red Verna was waiting at the signal. I think the white Verna breaking the signal irked the red Verna guy.

I stopped behind the red Verna.

When the signal turned green within seconds, the red Verna accelerated very hard. He did not spot the Scorpio turning right just about 300 meters away. Neither did the Scorpio spot the Verna. I am blaming it on the 6 feet tall plants on the median.

The Verna crashed into the Scorpio. Scorpio's both left tyres were airborne for a moment! There was no movement inside both cars for a few seconds. I was still about 100m away. I switched on my hazards and waited. Luckily, both guys from Verna came out. So did the Scorpio driver. Verna's front was completely smashed. Both headlights were broken. Radiator was damaged. Fluids were leaking all around.

In Scorpio, the passenger had no injury. The car had a dent on the left, and it did not look like the damage was major. The passenger had to get out of the driver's side though, as his door wouldn't open.

Since there were no injuries, I did not wait any longer.

I still believe that the build quality is an important factor in a car. The engineering (crumple zones, ABS, airbags) saves lives. The build quality saves you money on accident damage repair!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-spot.png
Old 25th March 2013, 10:13   #12932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I was heading towards Brookefields from Hoodi. Suddenly, a white AP registered Verna appeared in my RVM, overtook me
Attachment 1065630
That's an absolute disaster spot. As per the map, this seems to be the opening in the divider infront of the Shell office (or something closer). Ofcourse the plants on the divider cause a blind spot and vehicles accelerate while leaving the Graphite India signal, which is obvious.
There's another spot waiting to witness a major disaster like this. This one is on the Kundanahalli to Marathalli stretch. The cut in divider in front of the 3M outlet is a nightmare for U-Turners. The vehicles coming from Kundanahalli signal tend to speed up only to get stuck at that opening. Someday someone's surely getting a T-Boned at this opening.

Nevertheless, I agree with you, that the structural rigidity of the vehicle coupled with some safety features does play a very important role while saving lives during disasters. Surely, a Nano or an Alto would have been flying on being T-Boned. For that matter, I have a notion that occupants of any vehicle below the range of Swift are highly susceptible while disaster strikes.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 15:04   #12933
BHPian

Shocked after seeing this flash news in the newspaper website: http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/story.php?id=134567

It happened near Rajakkad (Idukki, Kerala) when a tourist bus carrying 45 final year electronic students of Vellanad Sarabhai Institute of Science and Technology lost control and fell into a gorge. 7 died and lot many in critical condition.
Old 25th March 2013, 15:22   #12934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Some time back saw a very bad accident between VRL bus n two wheeler on Tumkur road (just after Nelmangala). Of course the two wheeler died on stop!! The site was very painful to see.

1. Two wheeler guy was not wearing helmet.
2. He was riding on right most lane.

Separately, saw few superbikers riding rashly, cutting people in all possible ways. Only helmet n no riding gear. Initially I thought one of the only had met with accident.

Was he by any chance driving in the wrong direction?

Slightly These insensitive-to-rules 2 wheelers are a pain on the NH. .They are difficult to spot(compared to bigger ones) when they are coming in the wrong direction. At least the bigger vehicles are easy to spot. Once on NH7, i noticed a green TVS moped bit late because it was completly camaflouged by the green vegetation on the median. Had heart in mouth moment at 110 kmph! And the 2 wheeler has not ruffled one bit! I mean no fear,nothing! He just continued on his way right next to the divider!
Old 25th March 2013, 15:43   #12935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Once on NH7, i noticed a green TVS moped bit late because it was completly camaflouged by the green vegetation on the median. Had heart in mouth moment at 110 kmph! And the 2 wheeler has not ruffled one bit! I mean no fear,nothing! He just continued on his way right next to the divider!
So, things have not changed since 1990.

Back then, when 4 of us were in a Maruti 800 doing 80kmph, coming back to Bangalore from Hassan, a villager casually strolled across the road to join his friends on the other side. This resulted in extreme emergency braking by my uncle (who was driving), and the man was not even ruffled. My uncle stopped, got down, and was giving the guy a tongue-lashing, and all the while he was standing there looking at him agape, wondering why my uncle was even talking to him!

The only reaction was from his friends - "Waaa ... en sakkathaagi brake hodadhru ..." Translation: "Wow! He braked so fantastically!"
Old 25th March 2013, 15:52   #12936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Was he by any chance driving in the wrong direction?

Slightly These insensitive-to-rules 2 wheelers are a pain on the NH. .They are difficult to spot(compared to bigger ones) when they are coming in the wrong direction. At least the bigger vehicles are easy to spot. Once on NH7, i noticed a green TVS moped bit late because it was completly camaflouged by the green vegetation on the median. Had heart in mouth moment at 110 kmph! And the 2 wheeler has not ruffled one bit! I mean no fear,nothing! He just continued on his way right next to the divider!
Not sure what happened. All I could see was, he laying on right most lane in-front of the bus.

Looks like the incident happened few minutes before me reaching there. When I reached the spot, I could still see blood oozing out of his head.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:31   #12937
Distinguished - BHPian

10 mins ago on Hosur road opposite biocon
A truck had broken the front bumper of a white scorpio.
Looked like the trucker had cut into the scorpio's lane
Two guys were wrestling in front of the vehicles.

5 mins ago on NICE road
A truck had fallen into the centre drain
The below picture is the best I could capture from our cab

Name:  ForumRunner_20130325_184332.png
Views: 6135
Size:  542.3 KB
Old 25th March 2013, 18:34   #12938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
a. Tractors can come out of absolutely nowhere. They drive in the wrong way on the NH and that too on your fast lane. I don't understand why they can't drive on the shoulder at least, instead of the fast lane. ...
They are keeping left, you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

d. I think people are just very bad at judging the speed and breaking distance of an oncoming vehicle on a highway. I noticed on my Karizma that they safely assume I'm not doing more than 50kmph and take it easy while crossing the road!
+1. I seriously think DL norms should be updated. Our rules check "seeing" but not capability of a person to perceive, estimate and react.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:45   #12939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Nevertheless, I agree with you, that the structural rigidity of the vehicle coupled with some safety features does play a very important role while saving lives during disasters. Surely, a Nano or an Alto would have been flying on being T-Boned. For that matter, I have a notion that occupants of any vehicle below the range of Swift are highly susceptible while disaster strikes.
Its mainly about the ride height in this case. A Verna if it T bones a truck will be sheared into half because of the height of the truck. Similar case in Navi Mumbai where in the car T Boned a trailer got its top sheared off and all occupants died.

Also crash between a car and something heavier like a SUV or a truck is usually fatal for the car, so one needs to be careful and drive one's vehicle accordingly.

In this case, its clearly the Verna driver's fault, its the case of who hit whom. If he cant see a big car like the Scorpio, then either he is legally blind or a moron to drive fast when he cant see traffic ahead.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:14   #12940
BHPian

8 died in this bus accident near Munnar yesterday. The driver lost control of the bus while coming down on a S curve on hilly terrain.

Image courtesy - Lalumon NT on FB
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-253610_444756432273565_1642165015_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-00202_259095.jpg  

Old 27th March 2013, 11:46   #12941
Senior - BHPian

Now that's what we mean when we say "An Educated Moron".

In a way I am happy that he left the planet before meeting me.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Helmetless-techie-falls-from-bike-dies/articleshow/19230134.cms
Old 27th March 2013, 12:06   #12942
Senior - BHPian

The article says:
Quote:
He attempted to overtake a truck on Koramangala Inner Ring Road, on his way to office. On seeing two vehicles coming from the opposite direction, he applied the front brakes, skidded and fell off the bike
I remember Koramangala Inner Ring Road as a 4-lane road with a divider. So how can vehicles come from the opposite direction? Was the techie or the other vehicles on the wrong side of the road? Or was there some work going on because of which traffic was diverted to the opposite lane?
Old 27th March 2013, 13:24   #12943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The article says:
I remember Koramangala Inner Ring Road as a 4-lane road with a divider. So how can vehicles come from the opposite direction? Was the techie or the other vehicles on the wrong side of the road? Or was there some work going on because of which traffic was diverted to the opposite lane?
All that I can make out is that probably some vehicle was coming in the wrong side of the road on which the biker was riding. But hey, wasn't he supposed to overtake only if there is a clear sight while overtaking? Or did he start the overtaking move on a turn and into a blind spot? I guess the later scenario might have happened. But still, I continue to get amazed at each and every biker on the road daily. Everyone is so suicidal.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:34   #12944
Distinguished - BHPian

The guy hit the road and died. How can anybody know exactly what he did with the brakes?

Sadly, many bikers never get the chance to learn their mistakes, as the lesson itself is fatal.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:33   #12945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The guy hit the road and died. How can anybody know exactly what he did with the brakes?
Precisely! I wonder how they come out with these reports? Hearsay? Because I doubt we have a dedicated forensics team to figure out how and why an accident took place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks