Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 22:21   #19426
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw an ambulance and a huge crowd, a little further from Jail road signal, midway to kudlu gate signal at around 8 PM, seemed a biker to me.

I dont understand why bikers, well most of them, tend to believe that others will ensure their safety, and being safe is not something they can at all do, the way they drive like maniacs, trying to squeeze in from any nook an crannies, not only men, the women are also not far behind in this regard, equally reckless, I really fail to understand, what is that super important thing that these folks are rushing to do by saving on a few seconds, ok minutes?

At this rate a dedicated lane for bikes really makes sense!

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 07:26   #19427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
People living in the villages down south have no road sense at all [...] they start crossing the intersection even after you flash the lamps [...] I was doing about 110kmph on a bridge near vellore [...] there was an ertiga who was about to overtake me [...] The road is filled with idiots!
Have to agree with you, mate. Speed limits are for the idiots who live in the villages down south, aren't they? I'm sure you displayed exemplary road sense by driving at 110kmph on an 80 kmph highway. How dare anyone cross the road after you flash your lamps - don't they know you are doing them a favour by just allowing them to use your personal roads?

Last edited by binand : 18th December 2015 at 07:30.
binand is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 08:33   #19428
BHPian

Quote:
People living in the villages down south have no road sense at all. They randomly cross the road, they jump across the median with their bikes, they start crossing the intersection even after you flash the lamps N number of times!
===============
The road is filled with idiots!

I'm glad you're safe sir. I agree that roads are not safe in the south and drivers cannot drive by the book. Take a bus/train/plane next time and stay safe. Why risk it when we can avoid it?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 12:40. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:19   #19429
BHPian

Quote:
People living in the villages down south have no road sense at all. They randomly cross the road, they jump across the median with their bikes, they start crossing the intersection even after you flash the lamps N number of times!

I had a clear view of the road ahead, there was an ertiga who was about to overtake me, everything looked fine until a moron on a bike with his elderly mom riding pillion decided to jump the median & ride perpendicularly across the road to reach the shoulder without paying heed to the speeding cars.
I feel, NHAI has created such death traps by having those cuts in the median. NHAI should construct bridges wherever possible and let people cross under these bridges without having to trouble the road users.
The Tumkur-Chitradurga stretch of NH4 in Karnataka had many such cuts in the median to allow people to take U turns / perpendicular turns until 3 years ago. The NHAI has constructed over bridges at almost every place now (except at 4-5 places) along the 120km stretch. The road now feels much safer and one can do 100+ speeds without worrying too much.
Old 18th December 2015, 09:28   #19430
BHPian

Saw a blue Ecosport crashed into the railings under the Sarjapur flyover on ORR yesterday. Anyone has details about this? I find it odd that he crashed so badly in the middle of the day.
Old 18th December 2015, 09:34   #19431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I dont understand why bikers, well most of them, tend to believe that others will ensure their safety, and being safe is not something they can at all do,
@Aspire

A cab driver once told me how he makes judgement, especially when he needs to change lane. I'm quoting his exact words here.
"All you need to do is to ensure that your half of the vehicle gets into the lane, need not worry about the back half, as it is the duty of the vehicle coming behind to ensure there is no collision"

The same is the case with most two wheeler's, who don't care or judge if they will fit in a gap, ergo, this thread and such sorry state of affairs.

Of late i feel no pity for those unfortunate blokes who tempt fate too much and loose, what a waste of human life !!
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:34   #19432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
I feel, NHAI has created such death traps by having those cuts in the median. NHAI should construct bridges wherever possible and let people cross under these bridges without having to trouble the road users.
The Tumkur-Chitradurga stretch of NH4 in Karnataka had many such cuts in the median to allow people to take U turns / perpendicular turns until 3 years ago. The NHAI has constructed over bridges at almost every place now (except at 4-5 places) along the 120km stretch. The road now feels much safer and one can do 100+ speeds without worrying too much.
This happened in one such bridge. This guy climbed over the median & jumped out of it through the median's bushes.
Old 18th December 2015, 09:53   #19433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day before, when I was returning to Chennai via NH4, I was doing about 110kmph on a bridge near vellore.
Here is a excerpt from a paper 'Modelling and Simulation for Safe Following Distance Based on Vehicle Braking Process'.
Source
Vehicle Speed(Kmph)------Stopping distance(meters)
60----------------------------------60
90----------------------------------100
120---------------------------------155

They have used a simple model and there a lot of other variables like vehicle type, reaction time etc. But the main point I am trying to convey is the relationship between stopping distances Vs Speed, in this example, stopping distance increased by 55 meters for a bump of 30 kmph from 90 to 120. You would have got more time were you going at 80 kmph.

Quote:
Thought of pulling over & giving a piece of my temperament to the splendor guy but, let better sense prevailed and drove off.
The road is filled with idiots!
Whom should we blame here, mate? Splendor guy for crossing the road or you for speeding.

I am not trying to blame you. Even I have done speeding on roads. I believe this thread has taught me to control my urge for speeding. Has it worked for me, I would say 95%. Don't know why, I tend to speed when I am driving alone.

All I am saying is to acknowledge the risk you are taking when speeding and don't try to put all the blame on others.
ecenandu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:58   #19434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
"All you need to do is to ensure that your half of the vehicle gets into the lane, need not worry about the back half, as it is the duty of the vehicle coming behind to ensure there is no collision"
That's more of an unwritten rule, that during a collision, if one vehicle hit a second vehicle in the front half, it's the latter's fault, else latter vehicle is at fault. Similar to the bigger vehicle's owner always has to compensate the smaller one's owner/occupants rule.

Last edited by silversteed : 18th December 2015 at 10:01.
Old 18th December 2015, 10:22   #19435
BHPian

Quote:
I like you jumping the guns! Be reasonable when you say they have no sense! The problem is not with them but the poor road design. You cannot be expecting the 'villager' to travel 10~15 km just to crossover the road for his daily needs. Blame NHA for not providing underpass or marked indicators for crossover. I am not from down south, but for sure I know they are some of the best ‘unadulterated’ people you would get in this country!
The fact of the matter is, there is no proper road safety education given to the general public and also poor enforcement. Unfortunately it has been time and again discussed here that a car driver has better road sense than a two wheeler or a pedestrian, which is just hysteria. It is the same pedestrian, or the two wheeler rider who graduates to car!
Have a rationalized introspection; Do I always cross the road on a zebra cross? You have the answer whom to blame. Now, don’t tell me there are no zebra cross! Even than it is not the pedestrian to be blamed!
Practice makes habits, habits make discipline, and discipline makes culture!

Last edited by LoneRidder : 18th December 2015 at 10:36.
LoneRidder is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 10:53   #19436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't generalise this by telling that people in the south lack sense. I feel that the people of Kerala have really good road sense, probably one of the best in India. I feel even Karnataka is reasonable too, but not very reassuring. I have no clue about AP.
Yes, I know you're talking about Tamil Nadu and yes most ( not all) lack road sense here. I would attribute this to the attitude most people have. They don't care about themselves or other people or the rules. Yes, despite numerous accidents at specific spots they continue to take life easy, literally. The way some old people cross those 6 lane highways on bicycles at a snail's pace is scary to say the least.
I don't mean to hurt anyone or any community by my comments. All I'm trying to say is don't take any risks especially when you know how the local traffic works.
Drive safe people
Turbohead
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:27   #19437
BHPian

I never expected a observation of generalized opinion in terms of regional aspects. Humans anywjere have the same tendency to get ahead unmindful of the circumstantial environment as long as there is no personal loss to self.

The success of this forum and community of t bhp lies in the fact that we never should generalize independent occurrences.
Are we correct to drive at 110kmph
Second the ertiga for all I know could be a down south guy (to borrow your words) and had as per your own admission the presence of mind to avoid a mishap.

We should always remember that in driving please anticipate the other person to be wrong in his judgement and we should be more aware to correct our action proactively to avoid any untoward instances. After all we have only 1 life and love our ride even more dear.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:10   #19438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Please don't generalise [...]

I feel that the people of Kerala have really good road sense [...]

I know you're talking about Tamil Nadu and yes most ( not all) lack road sense here.
Advising others not to generalize but doing it repeatedly oneself is a form of hypocrisy. Replacing "all" with "most" doesn't absolve you.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 17:07   #19439
BHPian

Whether it's south or deep south or north or deep north or whichever region, morons are morons, no double speak on that. If that villager could risk the life of an elder citizen by bringing her on a 2 wheeler perpendicular to the flowing traffic, his act is to be condemned. Most of them don't even have licences.
I just cannot understand how many of you guys seem to secure that obscure villager who jumped a median perpendicularly(not a regular crossing).
Stop blaming NHAI or govt. for the acts of foolish riders.
ajay2233 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:04   #19440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened in one such bridge. This guy climbed over the median & jumped out of it through the median's bushes.
Something like this?

Too common in this stretch Tambaram by pass - Chennai.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20151218-4.17.45-pm.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20151218-4.21.38-pm.jpg

Its me who is riding the bike btw. Looking back, now I know how stupid and dangerously I rode back then. I'm a changed man right now, trust me. This was before I got my gear as well.

Last edited by ecenandu : 18th December 2015 at 21:13.
ecenandu is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks