Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 00:55   #25786
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 551 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
Drifting scorpio kills one and injured another.
To all, to understand the issue better, how can a Scorpio drift like that? Can it be caused due to blown rear tire? Can the blame solely be placed on the driver for negligent driving?

Edit: It looks like the rear passenger side tire is blown?

Last edited by govigov : 22nd February 2018 at 00:58.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:43   #25787
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 391 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

High Speed driving at an intersection where one doesn't know the vehicle coming from intersecting lanes is always risky. If one is not confident of stopping the vehicle then should avoid such speeds else the below might happen.

tanwaramit is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:43   #25788
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,667
Thanked: 2,760 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
To all, to understand the issue better, how can a Scorpio drift like that? Can it be caused due to blown rear tire? Can the blame solely be placed on the driver for negligent driving?

Edit: It looks like the rear passenger side tire is blown?
Why run away? That more than anything is wrong.
sudev is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:19   #25789
BHPian
 
krishnakarthik1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 132
Thanked: 337 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Toyota Fortuner head-on collision with truck MLA, 2 bodyguards and driver killed.

5 star rating, 7 air bags this and that do no matter at the end of the day I guess. Your brain is the only safety equipment on board.

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-fort...-12263796.html
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:06   #25790
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 205
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Toyota Fortuner head-on collision with truck MLA, 2 bodyguards and driver killed.

5 star rating, 7 air bags this and that do no matter at the end of the day I guess. Your brain is the only safety equipment on board.

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-fort...-12263796.html
Driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane divided road? WHY?
From the Windscreen impact, looks like seat belts were not used.
Seems a lot of flying happened inside the cabin. Occupants might have collided among themselves and got injured.

Even after such a severe impact, the cabin itself is intact.
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:33   #25791
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,450
Thanked: 7,554 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Poor Truck driver lost his life because of the MLA's driver's idiocy. One learning people should take from this-No one is invincible
One more example of the famous quote "The most dangerous part in a car is the nut behind the wheel"
Even if you buy a car with 700 airbags you'll die if you drive like this

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd February 2018 at 11:35.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:11   #25792
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Banaglore
Posts: 324
Thanked: 435 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane divided road? WHY?
From the Windscreen impact, looks like seat belts were not used.
Seems a lot of flying happened inside the cabin. Occupants might have collided among themselves and got injured.

Even after such a severe impact, the cabin itself is intact.
There seems to be cabin intrusion on the driver side A pillar on the other side from where the picture is taken. There are no spot "spider web" cracks in the windshield which are indicative of "head bangs". The whole windshield is cracked more from the impact on the driver side where the A pillar seems to have caved in.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:31   #25793
BHPian
 
VKumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 392
Thanked: 1,925 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

It is written that the Fortuner was on the wrong side of the road. But this one looks like a secluded area (and I guess I know this area), with the high GC and a small median, what is the probability that the Fortuner was actually on the right side and jumped the median? A couple of facts:
  • The accident happened at 5 am
  • The car had travelled around 400 kms before it met with the accident
  • Travelling 400 kms means it was probably an overnight drive
  • A probability of driver dozing off behind the wheel can't be denied
  • There is no reason for the car to be on the wrong side, other than it either jumping the divider or maybe the driver being on a suicide mission
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:49   #25794
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NCR
Posts: 166
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

what I fail to understand is, were both the drivers dozing off? If Fortuner's driver was dozing, the truck driver could have braked at least a few seconds before accident (or vice versa) reducing the magnitude of impact, that is if the Fortuner hadn't jumped the divider and had just showed up giving truck driver no time to react.

In my real life experience, Trucks & Buses generally don't brake or give side when we are face to face during overtaking another vehicle.
wangdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 13:00   #25795
Senior - BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MEL/Chalakudy
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 1,477 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
what I fail to understand is, were both the drivers dozing off? If Fortuner's driver was dozing, the truck driver could have braked at least a few seconds before accident (or vice versa) reducing the magnitude of impact, that is if the Fortuner hadn't jumped the divider and had just showed up giving truck driver no time to react.

In my real life experience, Trucks & Buses generally don't brake or give side when we are face to face during overtaking another vehicle.
We do not know what happened. If there are 'few seconds' to react, possibly this accident would have been avoided.

Also lets not judge the trucks and buses about dont braking and not giving space etc; the problems faced with those drivers are totally different from a typical car driver.
arjithin is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:22   #25796
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NCR
Posts: 166
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
We do not know what happened. If there are 'few seconds' to react, possibly this accident would have been avoided.
Also lets not judge the trucks and buses about dont braking and not giving space etc; the problems faced with those drivers are totally different from a typical car driver.
of course we don't know for sure, that's why the speculations.

Giving way or slowing down for the vehicle coming from opposite so as to let it merge back into its lane is a common situation for all on highways. But that's not the situation here so I'll leave it here.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:08   #25797
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 205
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
with the high GC and a small median, what is the probability that the Fortuner was actually on the right side and jumped the median?
If the car is on the RIGHT side and then jumped the median, isn't it on the WRONG side? Pictures show it beyond doubt that its on RIGHT side of the road, which WRONG side

Looks like nobody tried to reduce speed.
From the pictures, the Fortuner approached the truck from the left side and hit it on the left front half. Right head light of truck is intact.
I am also surprised to note - The truck cabin is in good shape, the wind shields are proper. How did the truck driver die?

Last edited by FORTified : 22nd February 2018 at 15:09. Reason: Some tag was part deleted
FORTified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:46   #25798
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,581
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I am also surprised to note - The truck cabin is in good shape, the wind shields are proper. How did the truck driver die?
I was surprised too that the truck driver died.

He must have hit the steering wheel quite hard during the sudden impact.
Moreover there is no question of seatbelts being present in these type of cabs or being used even if present.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:37   #25799
BHPian
 
sparky@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: KL08/KL46
Posts: 262
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

On reading about the Toyota Fortuner accident wherein no one survived, here is another SUV accident with the Ford Endeavour, which tumbled 400 feet into a valley and all 7 passengers survived. That is incredible to say the least.

Source : https://www.rushlane.com/ford-endeav...-12202918.html
sparky@home is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:06   #25800
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 551 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why run away? That more than anything is wrong.
Oh certainly, he is 100% wrong on what he did after the accident. There is no question about that portion.

I am more interested in the driver inputs on what happened just before the 180. On what caused the Scorpio to do a very beautiful 180. Can a person driving a Scorpio do that 180 on a flat ground? I think it may have been a blown tire.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 149 11th March 2018 02:24
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra Road Safety 84 19th November 2016 16:47
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks