Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 16:59   #6721
Senior - BHPian

^^Man thats bad. Looks like the container it was carrying had and a reverse equal and opposite impact of its own from the rear. What happened to the driver any news on that ? Miracles can happen.
Old 29th August 2010, 17:15   #6722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Man thats bad. Looks like the container it was carrying had and a reverse equal and opposite impact of its own from the rear. What happened to the driver any news on that ? Miracles can happen.
No idea about the driver. Since the road in that area was narrow (just sufficient for 2 buses to cross) and the traffic was heavy, I could not stop our tata winger and enquire. From the way the cabin looks, the driver case looks hopeless...
Old 29th August 2010, 20:37   #6723
Senior - BHPian

Cabins of trailers, containers do get badly manged in an accident. I have seen cabins of many trailers carrying iron rods, pipes etc pierced by the load they carry.These need not get hit by another vehicle, a harsh, sudden braking at good speeds is enough to topple/slide the load they carry onto the cabin. Drivers and people in cabin do not stand chance as the sharp metallic objects pierce them.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:18   #6724
Senior - BHPian

Saw a black Linea being towed on Saturday. It was running on temp number plates. The front of the car was virtually non-existent, looked like the car had a fairly high speed impact with a wall or something. The passenger cabin seemed to be in good shape.

Saw an Alto in a ditch yesterday. It looked like a low-speed incident, could not spot much damage to the car. So I guess all occupants should be safe.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:42   #6725
Senior - BHPian

just stepped out for lunch and heard a commotion outside the resto we had walked down to.

A garbage truck belonging to BBMP had run over a bike and it was lying crushed under the truck between the front and rear wheels. I dont know if the guy survived or not, hope he did with no injuries.

Looks like he was taking a right towards madivala market (coming from silk board) and the truck hit him while it hurtled down towards silk board from the madivala underpass. All this happened right in front of the madivala police station. There were a minimum of 5-6 traffic cops manning the traffic and extorting fines from goods vehicles when this happened. I didnt see an ambulance so i am assuming the rider escaped unhurt. Sick attitude of the cops as they just dont care about pedestrians on this junction. It takes over 15-20 mins to cross one part of the road and the cops just stand and gape at passing vehicles or stop minivans and cargo auto's for lunch money.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:44   #6726
BHPian

At Vaniyambadi on the Bangalore - Chennai Highway, regulars will know the 2nd flyover which comes when you go towards Chennai has a sharp left curve and you should be careful as it can you out. So was the case for a Brown Ritz on Monday around 10:00Am. The accident had just happened about 30 mins or less I guess as the Ambulance had arrived and guess they were transferring something. From the Debris, it was clear he took the curve too high a speed and the tall boy ritz understeered, hit the divider and toppled. Didnt stop to take pics or ask. Hope no fatalities.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:01   #6727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
At Vaniyambadi on the Bangalore - Chennai Highway, regulars will know the 2nd flyover which comes when you go towards Chennai has a sharp left curve and you should be careful as it can you out.
Some time ago, I took this curve at 120kmph on my first drive in this highway. Only after I started the turn I realised how sharp it was. It kept-on turning.

Those few seconds are still fresh in my memory.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:16   #6728
Senior - BHPian

One thing I want to ask here.

We are clearly not tolerating any talk of drunken driving, in this forum.
We are not encouraging violating traffic rules.
We are encouraging wearing helmets and seat belts.

Then why, oh why, are we not doing enough to discourage any talk of over-speeding?

In many "What car?" threads and "Reviews" threads, we talk glibly about high-speed acceleration, speeds like 140kmph, 160kmph, etc etc. We even recommend car models based on how sturdy they are at these speeds.

To a lay user, or to a non-petrolhead who is trying to learn good things from team-bhp (like I am trying to learn from 2006 till now), it sends the wrong message!

I have learnt many things from team-bhp. For one, I used to drive with folded mirrors till I saw a bhpian's signature, "Only a fool drives with folded mirrors" (sorry I forget which bhpian that was). On thinking, I realized it is 100% correct, and learnt to drive using both mirrors. Now I realize how safe it was, and try to explain the same to my friends and colleagues too.

I have to admit, there used to be a couple of times I have taken one beer and then driven home. Now, I strictly stick to "ZERO ALCOHOL" or "ZERO DRIVING". Thanks to team-bhp.

I now always wear seat belts. I mean, literally always. Thanks to team-bhp.

But, it took me a couple of scary close shaves at around 130kmph, to realize these speeds are *just too much* on Indian roads. Why is this not stressed enough? Why is this even open to debate? Isn't it glaringly obvious that these speeds are just too much?
Old 31st August 2010, 20:43   #6729
Distinguished - BHPian

there's something to be said for controlled environments and not dashing in and out of regular traffic like a maniac.

trying to max out on a public road obviously does not make sense, rather indicates lack of sense.

but hey, 2 cents here...
Old 1st September 2010, 09:53   #6730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Then why, oh why, are we not doing enough to discourage any talk of over-speeding?

In many "What car?" threads and "Reviews" threads, we talk glibly about high-speed acceleration, speeds like 140kmph, 160kmph, etc etc. We even recommend car models based on how sturdy they are at these speeds.
Well, there are a lot of aspects of safety being spoken and displayed on the forum. This thread alone is the most educative one in my opinion. I do not think the forum as whole is speed crazy. In fact, it is far from it.
Quote:
To a lay user, or to a non-petrolhead who is trying to learn good things from team-bhp (like I am trying to learn from 2006 till now), it sends the wrong message!
We're mostly mature adults and I am sure people take what they want. IMHO, exposing someone to good and bad aspects of human action is more important (and meaningful) than walking them only through a window-dressed world.
Quote:
But, it took me a couple of scary close shaves at around 130kmph, to realize these speeds are *just too much* on Indian roads. Why is this not stressed enough? Why is this even open to debate? Isn't it glaringly obvious that these speeds are just too much?
So here it is and you said it well. People can make the choice for themselves: either to learn it the hard way (some don't survive which is sad) or learn from others mistakes (for which t-bhp is doing a very commendable job of spreading the messages & awareness as a public forum).

For instance, there was a person who totalled his brand new Laura near Kanyakumari in the rains, while having loads of fun. But he survived it to come back here and write a detailed write up about it. Recently I had a difficult drive in Wales on a snowy morning on a Laura(Octavia there) too but I had not pushed the car thanks to the t-bhpian account in here. I took extra care to drive safe and keep up the speeds that the conditions permit. Or when I need to take a sharp corner I keep the vigil and the right gears. I have never driven down from Ooty but when I do, I know I should use the engine brakes (and gear 1 in most places) rather than cooking the brakes and losing the bite in the process. This is some quick example of how I think one should pick up and use the knowledge. It helps a great deal in making our lives and highways safer.

BH.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:39   #6731
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this accident on Dadri - Sikandrabad Road in Western UP, around 60 kms from Delhi on 28th August early morning.

Was stuck in traffic for more than an hour. Cranes had to be called in to push the damaged trucks on the side.

Two trucks has a head on collision, drivers had injuries and it took a lot of time for Ambulance to manage through traffic as cars/buses were all on the other lane, service lane everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cimg0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cimg0003.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 1st September 2010, 11:55   #6732
Senior - BHPian

Saw an accident while on way to office in the Morning. A lady presumably riding pillion on a 2-wheeler (or a cycle) died on the spot because of the vehicle hit a truck laden with LPG cylinders (could not take pictures because I was driving). The police had arrived on the spot & was managing the traffic. It appears that ought to other people who were injured, but, they had already been taken to hospital by the PCR.

As per my analysis, it appears to the fault of the two wheeler rider with whom the lady was travelling, as he might have come too close with the (laden) truck for which sudden sidewards movement is not possible & had her head banged against the truck side-walls. No way her head or other body part was crushed by truck.

To add on the truck was parked few metres ahead by the side of the road.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:43   #6733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... A lady presumably riding pillion on a 2-wheeler (or a cycle) died on the spot...
A neighbour of mine lost his daughter in a similar way, a few years back. She was riding pillion with her husband on their bike - facing left (both legs on the left side). They stopped at a signal, beside a truck. They intended to go straight while the truck was to turn right. Signal turned green, and the truck immediately turned right. The rear corner or the loading bay hit the lady behind her head and she fell down on the road, dead. Her husband had gone a few metres before he realised that his wife had fallen down. The trucker also went quite a distance before some other biker overtook him and apprised him of the development.

It was only because of the carelessness of the trucker that she lost her life. He should've checked his LHS ORVM. But...

Last edited by silversteed : 1st September 2010 at 14:46.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:01   #6734
BHPian

^^
Sorry to hear about the accident but somehow, I am not sure whether it was the truck driver who was alone at fault here. This kind of freak accident can only happen if the other person is too close to the rear/side of truck. But a loss is a loss nonetheless :(

A very common sight is a truck/bus/car taking a left/right turn and smaller vehicles trying to squeeze in the little space available and trying to take a turn before the bigger vehicle can complete its maneuver.. Are such dumbos really in such a big hurry to reach their final destination? (pun intended)

Last edited by AlokSriva : 1st September 2010 at 15:05.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:12   #6735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
At Vaniyambadi on the Bangalore - Chennai Highway, regulars will know the 2nd flyover which comes when you go towards Chennai has a sharp left curve and you should be careful as it can you out. So was the case for a Brown Ritz on Monday around 10:00Am. The accident had just happened about 30 mins or less I guess as the Ambulance had arrived and guess they were transferring something. From the Debris, it was clear he took the curve too high a speed and the tall boy ritz understeered, hit the divider and toppled. Didnt stop to take pics or ask. Hope no fatalities.
Are you talking about one of these two curves? Which one in particular? Red one or the Blue one?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vmbdcurvonblrchnrt.jpg

These curves took me also by surprise but I was not driving very fast that day so didn't had any problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks