Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 10:31   #11026
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hyderabad, Gachibowli Flyover, 09.30 Hrs.
Saw a bad accident involving a motorbike (Must be a Bajaj Boxer) and a Truck (easily 20 years old). The biker had rammed into the truck from behind and bike had almost gone past the rear axle. We also noticed the bike rider being taken away in an auto, bleeding profusely. Did not see a Helmet at the scene.
I'm not sure about this, the guy must have been a traffic cop as the bike was white in colour and the bike rider was wearing a white shirt. There were 2 patrolling TATA Sumos on the flyover, a tow truck and cops all over the place regulating the traffic.
The bike rider must have overtaken some vehicle from left and must have not seen the truck and must have rammed into it. Chances are also that the truck might have stalled on the Flyover and was left there before the accident occurred. Hope the biker recovers soon and all involved parties learn some road safety from the accident.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:37   #11027
BHPian

Not the best way to start a day/week, especially if you are new to riding bikes!

Almost witnessed an accident around 9:30 a.m. in which a biker was run over by the 'infamous' water tanker. The accident site was near the Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus on the road towards Vadapalani. It seems to have happened just a few seconds ago as I could see the water tanker slowing down a few meters ahead with the body of a middle-aged man behind on the road. It was a gory site...he was not wearing a helmet and there were tyre marks of the tanker over his upper body. Although he woudn't have have survived even if he was wearing one. Just don't know what would have caused this! May his soul rest in peace!

Very disturbed and shaken after this incident...
Old 7th May 2012, 10:56   #11028
BHPian

Here is an accident news (Gurgaon) article from Facebook page of Delhi Traffic police:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dtp2.jpg

It seems that the BMW was at very high speeds, which made a car like indigo, turn many times in air.

- Irish
Old 7th May 2012, 10:58   #11029
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Here is the Youtube version. Watch other videos by the same uploader.

Unfortunate guy on the cycle. If you look at the above video, none of the cyclists follow the rule at a signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycelfjean View Post
Another one from Chandigarh !
Damn, these two videos sent shivers down my spine. Idiots jumping a red light are bad enough, but my heart goes out to the unprotected cyclist / pedestrian who are innocent bystanders (and now, victims).

What amplifies the situation is that the person driving through a green light has his guard down. After all, the green light means you are okay to go, right??!! I hope the two vehicles that have driven through a red light are tried to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:06   #11030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Gurgaon: 2 killed, 4 injured as BMW rams into another car - India News - IBNLive

A pregnant woman was among two persons killed when a speeding BMW ploughed into their car at a traffic intersection near the Iffco Chowk Metro station around noon. Four others were injured. The BMW rammed the car at nearly 150kmph. ..The BMW belongs to Devendra Sherawat, a property dealer of Sector 14. Police are yet to arrest the driver of the BMW as they are still to ascertain who was behind the wheel - its owner or somebody else.
Very sad accident. I am not on the side of the BMW car here but my thoughts that we just jump to conclude that in any accident the faster capable, bigger, luxurious vehicle is always at fault. In an accident of a cyclist and bike we tend to consider bike wala is the culprit, in case of bike and car the carwala as a culprit, in case of a autowala and a BMW or Merc or Lambo always the later as a culprit even if the autowala is going at 20 kph in the right lane.
If we Look at the graphic its a intersection and both the vehicles should be slowing down and be cautious of the other vehicles. Was there a signal at the intersection?

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 7th May 2012 at 11:10.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:23   #11031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I have no idea, why media is making a fuss when a BMW or any luxury car crashes. Then they come up with some random figures regarding the speed these car were doing before the crash.
Though I agree with your concern but in few cases we ourselves can make the fair prediction. Tell me in how many cases we see car taking 3-4 spins as in the BMW-Indigo accident and driver is thrown far from the car as in Lamborghini mishap.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:51   #11032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What amplifies the situation is that the person driving through a green light has his guard down.
Yes, this is the most dangerous part.

In fact, many people try to speed up to "catch the green" while approaching a signal, which can prove fatal. I feel it is good to slow down to 40 kmph speed or below, as we approach any traffic signal, to safeguard ourselves against such accidents.

Last edited by mooza : 7th May 2012 at 11:52.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:53   #11033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Though I agree with your concern but in few cases we ourselves can make the fair prediction. Tell me in how many cases we see car taking 3-4 spins as in the BMW-Indigo accident and driver is thrown far from the car as in Lamborghini mishap.
I was not talking about this particular accident, but in general. If you see youtube video just posted few post back, you can see a i10 spinning 2 times after being hit. And regarding the driver being thrown out of the car, it is because he was not belted up, than the speed he was doing before the crash.

There are a lot of accidents which are not making to the news, I am talking about omni bus accidents (inter state). Last friday, my friend was involved in an accident, the KPN bus which he boarded, hit a container lorry. The front left side of the bus got the hit.The passengers sitting there got seriously injured, luckily for him, he got only a small bruise on the face.

The bus mafia is very strong that none of these accidents will make to the newspapers.

The point I was trying to make is, if there is an accident involving a luxury vehicle, the media is trying to make it as a sensational news.

Last edited by ecenandu : 7th May 2012 at 12:11.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:29   #11034
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Slightly Off-topic, but I had a question here. The insurance guys won't pay for the damages to the other person's car. They'll only pay in case of injuries or property damage. My question here is

Is the guy claiming compensation for repair of his car? or some other compensation?
If there is a police complaint and a court case, how will the insurance company get involved?
I thought 3rd party insurance meant paying for damage to the other persons car ...?

--R
Old 7th May 2012, 12:58   #11035
BHPian

Those videos makes me shiver to the core. These signal jumpers needs to be punished maximum. Roads are becoming damn unsafe in our country. Our fellow citizens are not bothering about road rules. Now i understand why few elders opt to stop driving at certain age. My uncle and my Dad stopped driving few years ago, they said they cant cope up with the tensions at road. now realizing their words. It seems i myself will opt the same in near future at a very young age... :-(
Old 7th May 2012, 14:11   #11036
Ice
BHPian

Two accidents last night within a kilometre of each other!

I was on my way from Chennai to Bangalore on the Old Madras Road. There is an accident prone-area (with warnings on both sides announcing it) a few kms. after Kolar byepass. My driver slowed down considerably, and ~ 100 metres from the warning board I saw a badly mangled WagonR with two people in it. The accident had happened around 10-15 minutes ago. Lots of cars had stopped and their passengers were trying to extricate the two passenger from the Wagon R. Seems the Wagon R had come on to the highway from a small road perpendicular to it, and was in the process of reaching the median to get to the other side when he was t-boned by another vehicle. The other vehicle was absent.

Within 700 metres, I saw an Indica without a face which had nailed a biker. The bike was twisted beyond recognition and all the plastic claddings had been ripped off. The Indica didn't have a bumper and the left headlamp, in addition to significant damage to the hood and A-Pillar. Also, the windscreen was shattered. It seems that the Indica was on the shoulder, driving the wrong way. The biker was going the right way, along the left end of the left lane - law-abiding rider and what does he get in return? The accident had taken place a half hour ago (within 10 minutes of the WagonR accident), and locals informed me that the biker, though most probably dead, was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. This probably explained why there was no police or emergency crew at the WagonR further back.

Crazy, stupid Sunday.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:54   #11037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I thought 3rd party insurance meant paying for damage to the other persons car ...?

--R
As I understand, Insurance guys don't pay for other person's vehicle damage. They will pay for property damage.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:22   #11038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker

As I understand, Insurance guys don't pay for other person's vehicle damage. They will pay for property damage.
Isn't the other person's car his/her "property"?
Old 7th May 2012, 17:33   #11039
Distinguished - BHPian

You: Party one
The Insurer: Party Two
The other guy: Party Three

Third-party insurance is about paying for the other guy's damage, to car, person, etc. That's why it is a legal minimum requirement. Yes, if you write off a Bently with your M800, and it is your fault, 3rd-party insurance should cover the bill.

This, to the best of my knowledge, is the international understanding. Indian insurers might have twisted it some other way?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 20:11   #11040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Two accidents last night within a kilometre of each other!
----
----
I was on my way from Chennai to Bangalore on the Old Madras Road.
Crazy, stupid Sunday.
Agree with you, the old madras road has become race track. This weekend while returning from kolar, I realised it is turning out to be like Mysore-banglore drive, adding to that all cities bypassed and no humps. Even two wheelers driving at the 100+, competing with cars/valvos, scary..

Many times question myself, do most of these drivers deserve the good roads? Not really.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks