Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 19:44   #5341
Senior - BHPian

banged up santro which rolled over once. The right rear quarter panel and roof also suffered structural damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02709.jpg  

Old 9th April 2010, 22:53   #5342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This morning paper carried this freak accident. A Scorpio, took a near-fatal de-tour to avoid traffic on the GST road and took to the arial route, through an unfinished flyover. The flyover apparently had no warn signs or barricades at the entry point. The Scorp was speeding and even people at the foot of the bridge shouted him not to go, but he seemed did not listen. Result? A near-fatal stunt jump. Right on the railway track. Luckily, no trains were passing and the car avoided the HT traction lines. It happened at 11:10 a.m.!
Take a look.
Me too read this and according to me in chennai before they open the flyover say a week or two , they might do some works in the bridge without any warning and some two wheelers mostly use this flyover.so this guy must have thought that this flyover is ready and would have taken the flyover.
Old 10th April 2010, 01:08   #5343
Senior - BHPian

An Alto rear-ended my zen yesterday at a traffic signal yesterday.

A scooterwala decided to jump his light and I had to brake in order to avoid him. That wasn't much of a problem as my light had just turned green. Some 10 seconds later this guy in an Alto flies into the Zen's rear. His bonnet was slightly bent and quite a bit of paint was scrapped off my bumper.
Structurally no damage.
I didn't have the heart to fight with the guy, thanks to the heat and the fact that he was hit worse than I was.

There is something about my stationary car being rear-ended every 5-6 months.
Does it happen as commonly to any of you?
I am usually waiting at a traffic signal when this happens. Weird!
Old 10th April 2010, 01:54   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Maybe you have an interesting rear which others like to bump into

Not to mention its strength to withstand so frequent bumps

Jokes apart, I don't think getting rear-ended so very often could possibly be a common phenomenon unless the driver is in habit of sudden braking in B2B traffic. But as you mentioned, folks come and hit your stand-still vehicle, this doesn't happen on account of sudden braking for sure.

The only thing I can think of is rubbing folks the wrong way on road and they getting even by rear-ending my stationary vehicle at a traffic signal! Food for thought? ;-)
Old 10th April 2010, 02:09   #5345
Senior - BHPian

Hehe! Nice angle.

I am a very sedate driver. I neither brake suddenly nor accelerate suddenly. Over the years I have come to realise that driving sanely is much more difficult than driving like a maniac on Delhi roads.

The rear bumper sports all the scars bravely.
Old 10th April 2010, 07:34   #5346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Happens to me quite frequently too. See what I did once:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-time-now.html
Old 10th April 2010, 07:49   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
The ToI article is here.

My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
2. I don't know why the paper always has to say "speeding" and "rash driving". We don't know what speed the Scorpio was driving at, and this could have happened even if he was driving within the speed limit and saw the road ending ahead of him too late.
3. The case has been book against the driver? Unbelievable! The case should have been booked against the officials who did not leave a barricade or warning signs.
I have crossed this route umpteen times. Not erecting barricades or warning signs is inexcusable, I agree. But anybody can easily see that it is an under construction flyover and not a finished one. There is no tarmac leading up to it and there definitely is no road on top of it as well, just unfinished concrete! I can't understand how he decided to drive through it.

There is a paved road by the side of the bridge that leads to a manned level crossing, and everybody uses that. It would have occurred to any normal person why nobody except him is going on the bridge!
Old 10th April 2010, 09:31   #5348
BHPian

winger

Here s a TATA winger
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-winger.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 12:44   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Here s a TATA winger
Oh! Oh! Ouch!

How did he make it to the other side of the tree? Is the driver alive? Any other casualties?

Where did it happen?
Old 10th April 2010, 17:09   #5350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Oh! Oh! Ouch!

How did he make it to the other side of the tree? Is the driver alive? Any other casualties?

Where did it happen?
It'd be a real miracle if the driver survived this one. The damage seems to be far too much for anyone to get out alive from the front
Old 10th April 2010, 18:17   #5351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Sid,

Agree with your view, my 2 cents here....

Lets assume that there are about 1000 vehicles in India and among the thousand, there are only about 150 Vehicles which have the ABS and Airbags. Lets assume that there are about 20-50 vehicles that meet with an accidents everyday.

These 20-50 vehicles can be a mix of safety and non-safety vehicles. Rest 950 vehicles are doing good on the roads.

So these 20-50 accidents IMO are caused by rash and negligent driving. So instead of crying in front of the manufacturers, it would be better to have a drive to make the drivers understand the value of life and follow the traffic rules on the road.

This would yield more results.

Example is myself, I was very rash driver on the roads until I joined Team-Bhp. But going through the threads and people's experience on the roads, I have become very careful and responsible on the road. By being rash, we are putting other's life in trouble. So now, I never forget to wear seatbelts, would never rev beyond 5okmph (unless required).

This is Purely my personal opinion.

Educate me if i'm wrong.
What i think is people would still buy a car without seatbelts if they were not mandatory, just because they are 2 grand cheaper.
Old 10th April 2010, 18:39   #5352
BHPian

Auto toppled near Garuda Mall, Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0213.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 19:17   #5353
Senior - BHPian

Oh looks like you took the pic moments after it toppled. Looks like no one's hurt
Old 10th April 2010, 20:07   #5354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Here s a TATA winger
That looks like a tragedy.Sad event! Some must have perished surely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
The driver and the "phoren" passengers are standing vertically when the auto is horizontal and are trying to sneak out from the fallen 3 wheeler!
Lucky escape for them all it appears!
Old 10th April 2010, 20:39   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Let me narrate a pretty similar incident that happened to me some years back.

We reached our village in North Karnataka in a rickety KSRTC bus at about 5:30 in the morning. There was a auto stand with 3 auto drivers. Since we were a large group, we got the last auto. On the way, we were crossing a bridge across a river. After the bridge, there is a turn. The driver didn't negotiate the turn properly and the auto toppled and everyone fell on me. Other auto drivers soon gathered there and were proudly telling us that the same driver had toppled his auto a few days back No one was hurt, I just had to take a tetanus injection afterwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks