Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 16:47   #6691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Some guy oversped on the slope downward from IIT Bombay to Gandhi Nagar bridge and climbed on the service road divider, even broke the danger pole erected there with the floroscent danger markings, in the mid-night hours. The chassis, engine seemed to be pushed up and the steering pushed onto the chest. There are rumors of sad news about the driver.

Attachment 412656

Attachment 412657

Reminds me how speed breakers and speed restrictions are highly important on steep slopes.
are you sure about the engine and steering wheel being pushed in?

Guys in delhi must have seen these sort of accidents a lot at pandara road entry from india gate.
similar divider came up overnight and its a favourite getaway lane for idiotic racers.most of the cops are on the other radials.
initially, when the barriers came up, we used to have 3-4 such accidents where racers, and even normal drivers just rode up and on the dividers.
nowadays its about 1-2 cars a week.
How far they slid usually helped identify who was just caught off guard, and who was racing..
but never any fatality/injuries, thankfully.

seen innumerable "ricer" cars wrecking their underbodies like this.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:59   #6692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
does not look like it happened at high speed. Absence of skid marks indicate that the guy never saw the divider, probably got blinded by oncoming headlights and hit the divider?
I would have thought so too. However, this is my routine road and there was an iron pole erected at the start of the divider with a big board of flouroscent yellow and black stripes to warn people. Usually people have been hitting this divider quite frequently and the pole was erected as a cautionary measure for that. However, that pole itself is blown away and the car gone ahead by about 15-20 feet over the divider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
are you sure about the engine and steering wheel being pushed in?

Guys in delhi must have seen these sort of accidents a lot at pandara road entry from india gate.
similar divider came up overnight and its a favourite getaway lane for idiotic racers.most of the cops are on the other radials.
initially, when the barriers came up, we used to have 3-4 such accidents where racers, and even normal drivers just rode up and on the dividers.
nowadays its about 1-2 cars a week.
How far they slid usually helped identify who was just caught off guard, and who was racing..
but never any fatality/injuries, thankfully.

seen innumerable "ricer" cars wrecking their underbodies like this.
Oh yes, this one is quite fatal if one had seen it closely. We could actually take a look quite near in the morning, but have no snaps of it.

Good that there have been no casualties unlike this one.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:00   #6693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I donno why - but this reminds me of a sticker I have seen on some cars:
"It's not how you drive. It's how you park".
One OT question: isn't that on Diamond District's parking sticker?
Old 24th August 2010, 20:04   #6694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
does not look like it happened at high speed. Absence of skid marks indicate that the guy never saw the divider, probably got blinded by oncoming headlights and hit the divider?
doesn't seem to me a case of blinded by oncoming headlights as in both the pics, the traffic is going in the same direction as the car and to me it seems a one-way street.

Also, I have seen at numerous places in Delhi including the India Gate Round-about, there are various such dividers starting suddenly and without any markings, they really pose a danger and unless one is aware of them, it is very easy to cross over one. I dont see the reason for putting up a divider on a one-way road.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:52   #6695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
doesn't seem to me a case of blinded by oncoming headlights as in both the pics, the traffic is going in the same direction as the car and to me it seems a one-way street.

The chances of getting blinded by on-coming traffic on a dual-carriageway is quite bleak. Largely due to the main divider and the width/number of lanes on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Also, I have seen at numerous places in Delhi including the India Gate Round-about, there are various such dividers starting suddenly and without any markings, they really pose a danger and unless one is aware of them, it is very easy to cross over one. I dont see the reason for putting up a divider on a one-way road.
It's not a divider in the middle of the road! It is a dual-carriageway as I've mentioned before, and generally, dual-carriageways have service roads/exits on either side for traffic to flow out. These service roads are cordoned off by a barrier which looks like a divider. This Verna crashed into the barrier that separates the service road from the main carriageway.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th August 2010 at 21:54.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:55   #6696
BHPian

Originally Posted by ch.nathan
I donno why - but this reminds me of a sticker I have seen on some cars:
"It's not how you drive. It's how you park".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
One OT question: isn't that on Diamond District's parking sticker?
"It's not what you drive. It's where you park" IIRC is what DD's parking stickers say.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:04   #6697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The chances of getting blinded by on-coming traffic on a dual-carriageway is quite bleak. Largely due to the main divider and the width/number of lanes on each side.

It's not a divider in the middle of the road! It is a dual-carriageway as I've mentioned before, and generally, dual-carriageways have service roads/exits on either side for traffic to flow out. These service roads are cordoned off by a barrier which looks like a divider. This Verna crashed into the barrier that separates the service road from the main carriageway.
India gate dividers are actually that,ie, dividers. the radials carry both incoming, and outgoing traffic for the india gate circle.
getting blinded by lights is a major possibility, add to which the unmarked start of the dividers.

PS:which now act like ramps,since they've been gone over by so many vehicles!!!
Old 24th August 2010, 22:37   #6698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
India gate dividers are actually that,ie, dividers. the radials carry both incoming, and outgoing traffic for the india gate circle.
getting blinded by lights is a major possibility, add to which the unmarked start of the dividers.

PS:which now act like ramps,since they've been gone over by so many vehicles!!!
Mayankk,

I was referring to the Verna accident in Bombay where he climbed over the barrier that separates the service road from the main carriageway. I'm not aware of the India Gate dividers though!
Old 24th August 2010, 22:44   #6699
Distinguished - BHPian

oh hey, sorry suhaas, i quoted the wrong post!!!
was referring to shantanu's post from earlier on.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:50   #6700
BHPian

I feel there should be reflectors installed atleast from 10 meters before the road gets divided so that the driver gets adequate time to change his lane if he sees the divider in front of him. These dividers are so small that you have a tough time spotting them in the middle of the road when it's raining cats and dogs.

I had seen a similar accident the other day on the turn at EEH which going towards Powai from Thane where a guy going southbound went over a similar divider. The car got stuck, nothing happened to the guy though.
Old 25th August 2010, 01:58   #6701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I feel there should be reflectors installed atleast from 10 meters before the road gets divided so that the driver gets adequate time to change his lane if he sees the divider in front of him. These dividers are so small that you have a tough time spotting them in the middle of the road when it's raining cats and dogs.
completely with this. This is my daily route and at night when its raining hard, its difficult to spot these low dividers, irrespective of any reflectors on it.

OT, this stretch is notorious for concrete blocks strewn haphazardly on the side of the road and I once remember seeing a verna? with its front right half way under the car when it rammed into one of them.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:49   #6702
Senior - BHPian

waw, quite a good conversation we having here on this accident and pretty valuable one.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:41   #6703
Senior - BHPian

Two unlikely vehicles to be involved in an accident, one a Milk Van and the other a Police Tow Van. Taken some time back on MTH Road, Chennai.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00459.jpg
Old 25th August 2010, 13:02   #6704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Two unlikely vehicles to be involved in an accident, one a Milk Van and the other a Police Tow Van. Taken some time back on MTH Road, Chennai.
Attachment 413006
you sure its not just being towed, and has just settled a little too close?
the impact on the milk truck and impacters(??) on the tow wagon dont seem to align anywhere.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:06   #6705
BHPian

It is NOT an accident. The Orange-brown Eicher truck is actually being towed by the Swaraj Mazda.

Reasons for conclusion:

1. No visible damage to the rear of the tow truck at all.

2. Notice the green ropes tied to the cabin of the milk truck in order to hold the driver's door from swinging/falling off. This also means that the accident has already taken place somewhere else and the damaged vehicle is only being towed away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks