Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 12:59   #15586
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
May be having speed breakers at this junction will help.
No, please no!
This junction has the National Highway connecting Panvel to Cochin, and a city road that leads to various parts of the city's outskirts - airport, industrial areas, schools/colleges.

If I remember right, there are rumbling humps on the city road. The NH is not supposed to have humps anyway.

Like Mahesh mentioned, best is to construct a flyover. But will that ever happen? Construction of many other flyovers of this NH (66, or erstwhile 17) took many years, and is shoddy.

They had installed a signal many years ago, I wonder what happened to that!
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:14   #15587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
No, please no!
This junction has the National Highway connecting Panvel to Cochin, and a city road that leads to various parts of the city's outskirts - airport, industrial areas, schools/colleges.

If I remember right, there are rumbling humps on the city road. The NH is not supposed to have humps anyway.

Like Mahesh mentioned, best is to construct a flyover. But will that ever happen? Construction of many other flyovers of this NH (66, or erstwhile 17) took many years, and is shoddy.

They had installed a signal many years ago, I wonder what happened to that!
I guess the NH you are talking about is a 2 lane one without road divider. That being the case one can have speed breakers.
For eg on NH4 (Bangalore-Tirupati main road) we do have speedbreakers near palamaner in AP.
The 4 lane or 6 lane NH's are the ones that bypass towns/villages and do not have speed breakers. The 2 lane NH generally passes through towns and other intermediate cities. Better to have speed breakers there but definitely not like what we have on bangalore-mysore 4 lane SH.
Old 13th June 2014, 13:22   #15588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, please no!

Absolutely! Speed-breakers can turn killer whether its a single carriageway road or a Dual corridor with a median. Have seen enough of accidents on NH4 already.

+1 to your idea of rumbler strips along with flashing lamp post either on the median or by the side of the road to warn the motorists.

NH17 from Panvel to Goa that we drove last year has well marked rumblers to wake up a moron in deep sleep at the wheel too.

If things are well marked I don't think we need speedbreakers at all and can surely control the rate of accidents.
Old 13th June 2014, 14:47   #15589
BHPian

Quote:
No, please no!

I guess there is some technical problem with construction of flyover. As per a report I had read earlier in a newspaper the 4-laning stretch from this nantoor junction towards Mumbai is being done by Ircon and the strech from here towards kerala is undertaken by Navayuga. The report mentioned due this, the flyover works is still in no mans land!! I'm not entirely sure about this, anybody who has more knowledge please shed light on this.

Quote:
Yes, but I feel in some cases it is definitely needed. For example, take the case of the Gurpur town junction on the Sholapur - Mangalore Highway. Due to the single carriageway road and the steep incline while entering the junction from both sides, at least 4 accidents (If my memory serves right) have taken place within the last year resulting in loss of lives. Just last week a Bolero pickup while coming down the incline at speed hit a child on his way to school resulting in the death. The authorities woke up and the next day there were humps (both single and rumbling). This is unsafe, but at least it limits the speed of the vehicles coming down to the junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Absolutely! Speed-breakers can turn killer whether its a single carriageway road or a Dual corridor with a median. Have seen enough of accidents on NH4 already.

+1 to your idea of rumbler strips along with flashing lamp post either on the median or by the side of the road to warn the motorists.

NH17 from Panvel to Goa that we drove last year has well marked rumblers to wake up a moron in deep sleep at the wheel too.

If things are well marked I don't think we need speedbreakers at all and can surely control the rate of accidents.
. I guess for now this is the only plausible solution. I had recently driven to Bangalore on NH 48 (old) and at many intersections there were these marked rumblers with the flashing lamp post which could be made out from a distance.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 15:09   #15590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess the NH you are talking about is a 2 lane one without road divider.
Oops, my mistake. I forgot to mention one crucial point. The National Highway is 4 lane all the way from Kundapur (about 100 KMs north - but with road widening still in progress in some places), up till this junction. Immediately after this circle where the lorry has fallen, it is a 2-lane road all the way into Kerala. And you might have guessed this already: there are no signs indicating that the road is narrower ahead.

So it's irritating for drivers going southwards when they suddenly have to drive on 2 lane road after driving on 4 lane road for long time. And it is sudden freedom to speed up for going northwards. Clash of feelings causes clash of vehicles
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 22:39   #15591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Here a Ritz got collided into an oncoming Zen after tyre burst, the Zen got divided into multiple parts without any fault of it.

Attachment 1249414
Looks like the zen had suffered a rear ending earlier in which the rear section was reconstructed in a rather poor manner and hence this result. It has got cut in the exact places they usually reweld new sections on, like the top of the rear pillar, floor, edge of the wheel well etc.
Old 15th June 2014, 17:23   #15592
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on near my home today afternoon. Circumstances which led to this was unclear. The driver was busy speaking to someone over a phone. No one else in the car were injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1402833027210.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1402833061661.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1402833093721.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1402833132526.jpg  

Old 16th June 2014, 14:36   #15593
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, On my flight today morning from Delhi I read a report in Times of India (Delhi) that a cop a was brutally run-over by the driver for stopping him from entering a No-Entry zone. Here are clips of the report:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1376.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1379.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1378.jpg

Though the driver of the Ritz was arrested but an innocent life is gone just like that.

Really sad!
Old 16th June 2014, 15:00   #15594
Senior - BHPian

Why did the constable leap on to the bonnet? Once you have the number of the car, why do you have to try and enforce the law instantly?
Driver sure looks like a Idiot but the Police should call for additional help and not risk their own lives (especially when they are armed only with Lathis)
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 15:09   #15595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi all, On my flight today morning from Delhi I read a report in Times of India (Delhi) that a cop a was brutally run-over by the driver for stopping him from entering a No-Entry zone.

Though the driver of the Ritz was arrested but an innocent life is gone just like that.

Really sad!
Yeah - no outrage, no frothing at the mouth, no media, nothing. He was just a cop after all.
Old 16th June 2014, 15:19   #15596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why did the constable leap on to the bonnet? Once you have the number of the car, why do you have to try and enforce the law instantly?
It is a well known fact that noting down the offender's car number is hardly of any use for obvious reasons. I feel the cop did a brave attempt by stopping the accused to the best of his capabilities and wanted to give instant justice. However, the loss of life is really sad. I am afraid that what will make us realize the importance of correct driving ?

Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 15:22   #15597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I am afraid that what will make us realize the importance of correct driving ?
Till such time we cut down on our road rage and our willingness to accept mistakes, these tragedies will continue to occur.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:59   #15598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Driver sure looks like a Idiot but the Police should call for additional help and not risk their own lives (especially when they are armed only with Lathis)
It was a moronic act that turned fatal. I'm sure the cop's ego was hurt and he decided not to move ignoring the fact that there was another ego in play.

I've seen this many times that when cops want to stop a vehicle, if it stops well and good else if the driver drives away, the cops just smile at each other and wait for the next guy.

Traffic cops, at least in delhi, have their bikes and would chase down the driver trying to flee but these regular cops with their barricades and all. They are only interested in stopping a guy who's willing to stop. If you decide to speed away, 9 out of 10 times, nothing's going to happen.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 11:30   #15599
BHPian

Don't know if it had been posted here earlier.

A young life lost due to a truck gone out of control after tyre burst on Mumbai Pune expressway. I wonder what precautions one can take to avoid situations like these. Or is it fait accompli all the way while on road?

http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report-...essway-1991293

Quote:
According to the Talegaon police, the car Kulkarni was travelling in, was hit from the rear by a speeding truck. The incident occurred around 7am when the cabbie parked his vehicle (MH-12-GZ-4944) on the extreme left lane near Somatane Phata to fix a flat tyre. A truck (KA-29-A-5969), which was heading towards Pune, rammed into the car.
An officer from Talegoan police station said, “Just as the cabbie was done fixing the flat tyre, the truck hit the car. The truck driver had lost control of his vehicle because one of its tyres burst.”
Old 19th June 2014, 11:45   #15600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Don't know if it had been posted here earlier.

A young life lost due to a truck gone out of control after tyre burst on Mumbai Pune expressway. I wonder what precautions one can take to avoid situations like these. Or is it fait accompli all the way while on road?

http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report-...essway-1991293

Cabbie gets a puncture , trucker also has a blow out . The cops should be examining this road stretch also for nails or some other objects strewn intentionally . We just read about this couple being robbed on the E way
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks