Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 19:38   #19321
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Not an accident, but possibility of an accident. Glad that in the end everything was fine (bus at 45s onwards)
What if the road had collapsed under the water? The driver of the bus was driving blind
This is the chennai-bangalore bypass and the possibly only way out of Chennai down south. People were stranded in the bus terminus for more than 48hrs with limited food/toilet facilites. This is a well known road with metal restrainers. It is dangerous i agree, but this is very sane considering the situation here :(

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th December 2015 at 20:21. Reason: Removed video link in quoted post
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 19:46   #19322
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a bad accident near Singur on Nh2. Me and my dad were just out for a lazy Sunday afternoon drive. Just before the CCD singur there were some local gathering and many people were coming running towards the opposite side of the road. I parked my car on the left side to see a toppled Xylo on the opposite side of the road. There were around 5-6 passengers in the MUV. Few were seating on the divider, one was lying down and one of them was fine. My dad is a doctor, he did some preliminary examination's to few of them. Three of them were badly injured. One had a bleeding scalp, the driver had a injured face and eye and the guy lying on the divider had his sense but he was a bit drowsy and was bleeding from his ear and nose. We feared he may acquire internal injury. But even we were helpless as we didn't had enough back up first-aid to treat the amount of injury they sustained.

With the help of locals the max we could do was to put some clothes on the wounds of guys who were bleeding and control the bleeding. The locals helped a lot and even they called up the Ambulance which was on its way. After that we left the place. It was a sad sight. Hope every one get well soon and recover from the shock.

The xylo was coming in high speed and suddenly a cycle came in front of the speeding MUV. The driver braked hard and the Xylo lost its composure and it toppled. I could see screeching tyre marks from left to right on the road.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5453.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 6th December 2015 at 19:51.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 22:44   #19323
BHPian

Saw this today b/w Kunigal Bypass toll and Bellur Cross toll at NH48. Lots of skid marks and a huge crowd. Don't know how it happened. Didn't see any other vehicle damaged there.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449421919.990370.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449421936.430516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 09:37   #19324
BHPian

Heard of this from a relative.
Anyone has any more details about this?

Quote:
Five members of a family from Salem were killed on the spot after their car hit a culvert nearKaruppatti Palayam on the Madurai–Bangalore National Highway 44 in Namakkal in the early hours of Friday.

The accident took place around 12.50 a.m. when the family was returning home after visiting a temple in Thadikombu in Dindigul district.

The police said D. Senthilnathan (30), an engineer of Dadagapatti in Namakkal, who was behind the wheels, lost control of the vehicle and hit the culvert. In the impact, the car turned upside down. The other deceased were identified as Karpagam (23), Senthilnathan’s wife, their 11-month-old daughter Nisha, his mother Geetha (55) and his friend Sureshkumar (34).

The police retrieved their bodies and sent them to the DistrictHeadquarters Hospital in Namakkal. Superintendent of Police S.R. Senthil Kumar inspected the spot.
The Hindu article
Old 7th December 2015, 10:48   #19325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
That moron was not talking over the phone, by ~0.35s he took the phone from his pocket and by 0.40s he is on the ground..
Thank GOD he is safe. But I still liked the fact that he has learned his lesson.
If you can't stop the urge to use phone while driving, at least use a hands free.

Any day, your life is more important than a mere phone call. So I would avoid a phone call at any cost.

I had a narrow miss last week from a cab driver using phone. They don't fear laws, but I wished if they had a bit of respect for their own life and others!
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:47   #19326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

I had a narrow miss last week from a cab driver using phone. They don't fear laws, but I wished if they had a bit of respect for their own life and others!
Had the same experience few days back as well.
A TATA Winger narrowly missed side swipping my car since the driver was on the phone after which he continued driving rashly and blocking my way since I asked him to put the phone away.

Caught the whole episode on my dashcam and shot an email to the travel agency who responded in minutes saying they will take action.
What action or if they will is a question, but I am satisfied doing my part.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 12:07   #19327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Had the same experience few days back as well.
A TATA Winger narrowly missed side swipping my car since the driver was on the phone after which he continued driving rashly and blocking my way since I asked him to put the phone away.

Caught the whole episode on my dashcam and shot an email to the travel agency who responded in minutes saying they will take action.
What action or if they will is a question, but I am satisfied doing my part.
To prevent any untoward accident due to morons over the phone while driving, i usually honk to glory. I myself had a few nervous moments with these idiots while driving in peak hour traffic on the ORR. As a thumb rule, i never take a call while driving. Even, if i have to, i will pull over to the left, put my blinkers on and then take the call or call the number back.
unleash_thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 17:00   #19328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Saw this today b/w Kunigal Bypass toll and Bellur Cross toll at NH48. Lots of skid marks and a huge crowd. Don't know how it happened. Didn't see any other vehicle damaged there.

Attachment 1447326
Attachment 1447327

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
there was a beige Honda City (dolphin).

looks like the Swift was joining the highway when it got t-boned by the Honday City. three of us were riding back from an overnighter to Coorg and we saw this; looked like it had happened just minutes ago. there were many people around who were trying to help, hence we rode on.
Old 7th December 2015, 18:15   #19329
BHPian

Re: A *** moment while I return from office today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
He will not learn, these riders will never learn even after such incidents.
Next I'll see a rider tossed up in the air 50 feet and fall, he'll pick himself up & dust off and ride away whistling into the sunset. These bikes are pretty indestructible too, put cars to shame.
You seem to be a lot frustrated and I share it too. In fact, them using mobile is safe. Otherwise, they will be doing 100+ and cut across all available lanes and then some more. I have some really dangerous stunts caught on my dashcam. If police allow this as evidence to book cases, I will hit a century faster than Afridi.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 04:04   #19330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
A joyride turned fateful for a young teenager.

A real sad incident! I wonder how can parent's control these kind of situations which is totally unexpected. I really can't imagine how his parents will be able to stomach this loss!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
In another accident, a huge boulder rolled from a hill. The bus driver managed to control the bus narrowly missing the boulder. some passengers were injured. Lucky day for the bus as the boulder did not land on the bus.
This is real scary! hard to imagine the mind set of the driver and the passengers after this accident. Kudos to the driver who was able to control and avoid a gory accident!
Old 8th December 2015, 11:48   #19331
Senior - BHPian

This happened last weekend during my drive back from Nandi Hills. I did not witness this accident in person, but actually heard a huge 'Explosion' sorts just after I had passed

Link

It is really scary to drive on these elevated highways/roads with these absolute morons behind the wheels of taxis.

Neither are they capable of good driving nor are many (if not most) of their vehicles, considering they are predominantly base versions
Old 8th December 2015, 12:07   #19332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Neither are they capable of good driving nor are many (if not most) of their vehicles, considering they are predominantly base versions
The other night, I took a Grand i10 instead of the Jetta to the airport around midnight. It was quite scary, the way taxi's flew and the little car shuddered in the slipstream. My Jetta is normally rocksolid
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:45   #19333
BHPian

Quote:
This happened last weekend during my drive back from Nandi Hills. I did not witness this accident in person, but actually heard a huge 'Explosion' sorts just after I had passed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The other night, I took a Grand i10 instead of the Jetta to the airport around midnight. It was quite scary, the way taxi's flew and the little car shuddered in the slipstream. My Jetta is normally rocksolid
Owing to the increasing accidents on the NH7 due to errant taxi drivers, i have started to make a conscious effort to board the KIA buses. I feel a lot safer in them. Have noticed quite a lot of taxis plying on NH7 towards airport with bald tyres, dysfunctional lights (either of the low or high beam is dysfunctional), overspeeding, changing lanes like a maniac, fatigued drivers during very early morning commute .

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2015 at 14:10. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 8th December 2015, 15:09   #19334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Not an accident, but possibility of an accident. Glad that in the end everything was fine (bus at 45s onwards)

What if the road had collapsed under the water? The driver of the bus was driving blind
Well it was not all that bad. It's a govt. bus. So he'd know that road like the back of his hand.

I was afraid he'll stall in the middle but seems to have had the presence of mind to keep one foot firmly on the accelerator.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2015 at 19:14. Reason: Removing video from quote :)
Old 9th December 2015, 12:43   #19335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Link

This was reported in the TOI a couple of days back.
As per the article, the Etios (cab) which was being driven rashly with the passenger (who succumbed) jumped the divider and collided head-on with a Swift coming from the other direction and another swift behind bumped into the first Swift that collided head-on with the Etios.

It may not be appropriate to jump to conclusions on the structural safety based on just the pictures as there are a number of variables involved which we might have missed.
However by just looking at the two vehicles which collided headon, the Swift's passenger cell appears to be intact whereas the Etios' passenger cabin (left side) has been ripped apart. Goes to show that in relative terms, a designed-for-Europe-Indan-built Swift (although structurally weaker than the European Swift) structurally fares better than a car that is primarily designed for and released only in third-world/emerging markets.

There is an alarming trend of structurally compromised vehicles (ie., having no record of crash worthiness testing) getting released in our market. Absence of stringent regulations make all the more easier for such vehicles to pervade our market.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th December 2015 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks