Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 11:34   #24166
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Indicators. It doesnt cost anything but they still wont use them.

And I thought Indians liked free stuff.
This might have been shared before but it seems apt in this case. I have censored out a word though
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-didyouknowaboutindicators-2.jpg  

Last edited by praveen789 : 1st August 2017 at 11:39.
praveen789 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 12:49   #24167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The news report mentions the parents knew and let the underage kids take out the car. Should be booked for causing death by negligence on top of the 'letting a minor drive' charge. Idiots.
Underage driving is like an epidemic here in Gujarat , parents are extremely callous and the law is pretty much slack.Have seen parents dropping off their kindergarten going kids sitting in their laps and having control of the streering, not to forget the Activas and Dukes zipping all over the place in the morning hours . Schools in order to discourage underage driving do not allow their students to park within the school premises ,yet that does not deter them as there is always an obliging paanwalla or chaiwalla who keeps an eye on their vehicles for a small consideration every month. Helmets are a rarity in Ahmedabad , and everyday the papers report one or two incidents of young lives being lost.
sanjz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 13:51   #24168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Underage driving is like an epidemic here in Gujarat , parents are extremely callous and the law is pretty much slack.
It is getting worse, or our tolerance levels are going down. Or both. Yesterday, it took us 35 minutes to go from satellite to commerce 6 roads, a distance of about 6 kms. The traffic was bad, but what was worse was trying to avoid the underage or barely there riders on their activas crossing before us without a care in the world and without even looking back!
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:58   #24169
BHPian

http://www.cartoq.com/court-to-gover...owed-in-india/

Court to government: Why are cars faster than speed limit allowed in India?
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:28   #24170
BHPian

A 24 year old guy loses life as his bike engine seizes and rear wheels get locked up. He and the pillion had helmets but unfortunately he came under the wheels of a car. Lower engine oil couple with higher speed is said to be the culprit of the seizure. The bike in question is a Pulsar 200 RS

http://www.cartoq.com/hyderabad-tech...ows-rider-off/
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:08   #24171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
A 24 year old guy loses life as his bike engine seizes and rear wheels get locked up. He and the pillion had helmets but unfortunately he came under the wheels of a car. Lower engine oil couple with higher speed is said to be the culprit of the seizure. The bike in question is a Pulsar 200 RS
Engine seize in a bike which is not even older than one year is very unfortunate. It should be either due to pushing the bike beyond it's capability over a long period of time on the highway or due to bad maintenance of the bike.

R I P !

Last edited by Hickstead : 2nd August 2017 at 13:09.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:09   #24172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
The owner of the van was quick to compromise, and I requested him to pay toward the 'Compulsory Deductible' of INR 2000 as I have the Zero depreciation insurance (hope I don't have to pay toward the Cost of Consumables).

Sadly, I lose my NCB and may also end up pay an increased premium when I choose to renew my policy.
As long as no metal parts are damaged, you should be able to get them completely. Metal has a salvage value of 10% which will be deducted. At some cases under consumables - the plastic/fiber clips especially the ones which keep the bumper in place are not covered.

There are some insurance companies who also deduct another 15% from the cost of the paints.

All the best in dealing with the insurance guys. Trust you have the GD entry from the local police station if you are admitting this as an on - road accident. (The private insurers are tougher to handle when it comes to claims) - I had to take HDFC Ergo to the Ombudsman to get the whole thing paid
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:59   #24173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
It is getting worse, or our tolerance levels are going down. Or both. Yesterday, it took us 35 minutes to go from satellite to commerce 6 roads, a distance of about 6 kms. The traffic was bad, but what was worse was trying to avoid the underage or barely there riders on their activas crossing before us without a care in the world and without even looking back!
I ride all the way from MOTERA to Income-tax on my TBTS Or My Friends Reddich Green CL350(We bikepool). It takes appx 20-25 mins each day. In these 25 minutes I am forced to use appx 30 swear words, those too in audible voice.

Basically the following 3 types of idiots that I come across every day.

1. BUSY: So busy that they have to listen to music during the commute, that too using headphones. Seen some car owners practising the same even if both their car and their phone have Bluetooth connectivity.

2. Immortals yet beauty concious: They neednt wear helmets coz' they are immortals but they need to wear goggles and balaclava to protect their face from pollution.

3. Auto(squeeze)rickshaw drivers: They think they can pass through a needle hole(I dont know the technical name). You will be surprised to see what they can do in a B2B traffic. They can easily overtake a Lamborghini on 'BIC Track Day'.

Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:41   #24174
BHPian

High-speed Ford Endeavour crash kills UNDERAGE driver & friend in Ahmedabad, this happened near Vastrapur lake, in Ahmedabad.
Another death due to the parents misplaced driving skills of their son.
Very sad.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-endy3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-endy4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-endy5.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2017, 17:33   #24175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
As long as no metal parts are damaged, you should be able to get them completely. Metal has a salvage value of 10% which will be deducted. At some cases under consumables - the plastic/fiber clips especially the ones which keep the bumper in place are not covered.
Thanks- I'd chosen the 'Zero depreciation insurance' which is an add-on coverage in the Comprehensive insurance one can take, and what this means the insurer pays for all barring the 'excess'/'compulsory deductible' and 'cost of consumables'. As a result, I'm in a good shape on that front and this was confirmed with the insurer representative. In hindsight, I also now feel I should've taken the 'Consumables' included in the add-on coverage. Also, to add I wasn't requested for a GD report from the nearest police station where the accident occurred albeit the damage is in excess of INR 50k

Overall, I've had an optimal experience with HDFC Ergo as they offered a seamless experience 2 years ago on a similar incident. Should there is one item I'm not satisfied with, it's the 'cashless' component as the Mahindra dealer here (TVS) stated only Royal Sundaram and Oriental Insurance (from Thodupuzha) are the only 2 insurers who provide the cashless option.

Last edited by jacobvarughese : 2nd August 2017 at 17:43.
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:58   #24176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post

Overall, I've had an optimal experience with HDFC Ergo as they offered a seamless experience 2 years ago on a similar incident. Should there is one item I'm not satisfied with, it's the 'cashless' component as the Mahindra dealer here (TVS) stated only Royal Sundaram and Oriental Insurance (from Thodupuzha) are the only 2 insurers who provide the cashless option.
Good to know. They tried to make the most out of a crash I had with my Ecosport where the bill was around 70K. Since now I know how to deal with these guys, I have been using ERGO for both the cars XUV and Ecosport for about 3 years now.

They also give a cash credit option, if you could source a pro-forma invoice from the TVS body shop before the vehicle is being handed over (Typically at least a day before the delivery date) they could help you with a cash credit of the approved amount your bank.
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:15   #24177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
High-speed Ford Endeavour crash kills UNDERAGE driver & friend in Ahmedabad, this happened near Vastrapur lake, in Ahmedabad.
Thank you, Sparky. Yes, we saw this on the news and incidentally was posted here too. I am concerned to note that the air bags have not deployed?
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:43   #24178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thank you, Sparky. Yes, we saw this on the news and incidentally was posted here too. I am concerned to note that the air bags have not deployed?
SRS airbags work in tandem with the seatbelts. If the seatbelts are not fastened then the airbags don't deploy, or atleast thats my understanding of the system. As per the news report, the boy was found hanging out of the window, so I don't think he was wearing his seatbelt.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:12   #24179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
SRS airbags work in tandem with the seatbelts. If the seatbelts are not fastened then the airbags don't deploy, or atleast thats my understanding of the system. As per the news report, the boy was found hanging out of the window, so I don't think he was wearing his seatbelt.
Not at all. It is true that all these safety systems are linked but it is not some universal rule that if seatbelts aren't worn, airbags won't be deployed. In several states in the US it is not mandated by law to wear seatbelts thus many cars designed for the US market deploy their airbags even if the seatbelt isn't worn. Even in the EU countries where the airbag may not deploy if the seatbelt isn't worn, they do still deploy based on other factors like crash speed, angle etc. It definitely needs to be investigated why the airbags in this car didn't deploy. It could be because the seatbelts weren't worn, but not necessarily. With the Endeavor being an american product, I would be skeptical about why the airbags haven't deployed until there is a full crash report available on it. Alas this will never happen.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:18   #24180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not at all. It is true that all these safety systems are linked but it is not some universal rule that if seatbelts aren't worn, airbags won't be deployed. In several states in the US it is not mandated by law to wear seatbelts thus many cars designed for the US market deploy their airbags even if the seatbelt isn't worn. Even in the EU countries where the airbag may not deploy if the seatbelt isn't worn, they do still deploy based on other factors like crash speed, angle etc. It definitely needs to be investigated why the airbags in this car didn't deploy. It could be because the seatbelts weren't worn, but not necessarily. With the Endeavor being an american product, I would be skeptical about why the airbags haven't deployed until there is a full crash report available on it. Alas this will never happen.
Isn't the endeavour an Australian Ford product? And what are the seatbelt regulations in Australia? Also isn't it supposed to be fatal if the airbags deploy in a car where the occupant isn't belted up? Isn't that why we have safety stickers asking the occupants to sit as far away as possible from the airbags? It is highly confusing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks