Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 10:40   #39166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another day, another sad chilling accident :(

Happened in Kozhikode. Couple on bike got sandwiched and passed away. Watching the video had my heart in mouth throughout the video. So many wrongs and so little care.

Apparently it is a service road as road work was going on in the main road. But all the more reason to be slow and careful. But alas...

The driver and owner of the bus have been arrested.
deathwalkr is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 11:08   #39167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSN View Post
The car had hit the left side of the truck
It may be due to driver of the car tried to avoid the accident by moving further right but unable to stop before hitting the corner of the truck.
Old 17th October 2023, 11:37   #39168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Hyundai Eon losses control in a curve and smashes boundary wall of an house.
Brilliantly parked but subject to material losses. Location :Malapuram, Kerala.
Intended Pun - Material losses never have a high priority in James Bond world
Old 17th October 2023, 11:45   #39169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Man, what the car is this Eon. Looks far better than more expensive cars. It looks like a rock solid car and knocks of the wall/gate, climbs up like a bump and lands safely. The driver walks out casually but puzzled on what happened.
May be he was trying a "Malapuram" (can be roughly translated to over the (mountain) top) manoeuver . Looks like he managed with "istyle".
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 15:26   #39170
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Eon losses control in a curve and smashes boundary wall of an house.
Good example of how ESP, or plain ABS would would have helped? Looks like a case of lack of experience or foolhardiness to negotiate that curve without slowing down. Looks like the car under-steered, the driver gave a correction which led to over-steering, and a second sharp correction and braking leading to lose of control. You can see that the wheels have locked when the car is gliding over the road.

It is an 'Accident Zone' board right there! The roads around these areas are the roads on which I am the most careful while driving. They are butter smooth with no imperfections, that you tend to speed up. Sharp curves on slopes and lot of careless drivers, especially scooters make the roads very dangerous. To top that the broken vs unbroken white lines are confusing at many places. Some curves have broken lines while the straight roads where one could overtake has unbroken lines . Of course, the quality of the roads are otherwise excellent with sufficient signs!
impala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:07   #39171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Toyota quality does not imply its sheet metal can withstand crash related abuse. It implies that the sheet metal will stay without paint issues or rusting for a long time to come.
Really? This is a news for me. So you mean Toyota cars are not safe? If that is the case, Maruti Suzuki cars also very good and don't have any issues with paint or rusting for years. I have 2009 Dzire at home and there are no issues at all with paint or rusting as you mentioned. Most of engine parts are still original including clutch. Then why should someone pay heavy amount to buy Toyota? Quality car means it should be safe as well IMHO.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:08   #39172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Really? This is a news for me. So you mean Toyota cars are not safe? If that is the case, Maruti Suzuki cars also very good and don't have any issues with paint or rusting for years. I have 2009 Dzire at home and there are no issues at all with paint or rusting as you mentioned. Most of engine parts are still original including clutch. Then why should someone pay heavy amount to buy Toyota? Quality car means it should be safe as well IMHO.
I don’t want to call a car safe or unsafe by seeing pictures of an accident. That’s the same thing I told you. The sheet metal on the skin of the car especially at the rear wont say much about how safe or unsafe it is.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 01:29   #39173
BHPian

https://twitter.com/rushlane/status/...FxSyR3Uyw&s=19

Close call. Attentive bus driver saves the life of a stupid Biker. I think that in our country, 2 wheelers are moving coffins on wheels. There must be separate lane for two wheelers in state and national highways (understand that most NH's have dedicated two wheeler lane, but that's hardly followed)
tiagoatrix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 07:48   #39174
BHPian

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

Two toddlers lost their life in this heartbreaking incident in Pune. The two-wheeler seems to be in the blind spot.

https://x.com/fpjindia/status/171415...flRRhjtAiMmBtw

Another video of the accident

Last edited by Sheel : 18th October 2023 at 10:26. Reason: Added disclaimer
Old 18th October 2023, 08:20   #39175
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing sense of control, alertness and reflexes. A clear view of opposite traffic helped in this case. A good save by the bus driver, amazing assessment and selection from available options.

Education at grassroot level is important to avoid meeting idiots(cyclist in this case) on the roads.
The accident in Pune where two kids lost their lives is a grim reminder of our road sense. Blind zones around a big vehicle should be avoided, true, but many of these big vehicles also manoeuvre at signals or heavy traffic to force people into their blind zone. Police ignore minor violations at all times, rash driving, triple seating on two wheelers, lane hopping etc. which eventually has led to a crop of drivers who know no better than just fording a way for their rides, with utter disregard for inconvenience caused to others or their safety. We need to wake up.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 09:01   #39176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Happened in Kozhikode. Couple on bike got sandwiched and passed away. Watching the video had my heart in mouth throughout the video. So many wrongs and so little care.

Apparently it is a service road as road work was going on in the main road. But all the more reason to be slow and careful. But alas...

The driver and owner of the bus have been arrested.
Woah! What a sad and gruesome way to go
Old 18th October 2023, 09:37   #39177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Unfortunate incident. A similar accident took place in Cochin as well but he survived. This particular bus stop is always crowded and the main stop connecting commuters from medical trust hospital, railway station and other parts from Cochin to West Kochi. So bus drivers are a bit excited on this stretch.

Having said that, bus drivers here are getting really bad as the day progresses. Since metro work is happening along my route, the traffic gets bad each day and the bus drivers become aggressive as well.

Here are some rash bus drivers from 2 days. Have enough videos to make a feature film but posting just a few. .

This is one of the worst sections along my route. Exit from Infopark - no signal, no cops and metro work happening. On the left you can see the extended road that's not open to the public. Yet the bus driver takes that stretch just to save couple of feet. The extended road ends where he meets the auto. You can see the conductor shouting at the auto guy to cross to the main road which is clearly chocked.

Clearly no idea what he had in mind. Again, just to save few seconds.

"Ah, I see an opening - let's create some chaos"

naveen.raju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 09:46   #39178
Senior - BHPian

People putting heavy amounts on Toyota must watch this video before taking any decision. Small car like Comet made so much heavy damage to so called king of cars, Toyota. Never expected that sheet metal quality of Toyota is so bad. Imagine what would have happened if car like Harrier hit like this from behind, Innova definitely would have been totalled.

Just my views, please don't take it personally

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2023 at 17:17. Reason: Quoted part deleted
Old 18th October 2023, 09:54   #39179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago_Boy View Post
Two toddlers lost their life in this heartbreaking incident in Pune. The two-wheeler seems to be in the blind spot.
Those who haven't clicked on the Twitter link, please DON'T. The visuals are too disturbing. I've requested the mods to add a disclaimer. May the deceased rest in peace.

I wouldn't blame it on the truck driver though. It appears that the scooter was drifting slightly towards the truck which ultimately led to the nudge. A media report says this happened soon after the light turned green. Carelessness on rider's part to not check the rear view mirrors even with multiple heavy vehicles around.

It goes to show how vulnerable life is on two wheels on our roads. This is precisely the reason why I gave up motorcycling and even suggest others to do the same because even the cheapest of cars are safer than bikes.
self_driven is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 10:28   #39180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Unfortunate incident.
Such chaos.

Once I used to say we Indians have a method in chaos, but of late there is no method on roads...just chaos!
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks