Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 19:02   #39031
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Kia Seltos reversing at 40kmph going by the meme
Am a bit late to the party, but I'm not sure I buy that description of the accident.

More like a 'conventional thought' about what might have happened when seeing the final product.

My guess would have been a high-speed spin into the pole, backwards. The fact that it's raining means that's more of a possibility too.
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:17   #39032
BHPian

Regarding the Swift/Thar/Bolero accident:
I get that sometimes we mull over what could have been done by the other party always, but people do go overboard with these things. Sure, it's India, and sure, you can never be too careful, graveyards are full of tombstones of people who had the right of way etc. etc. but we should really be careful about phrasing things.

Our society is very keen on blaming the victim, and the Swift car absolutely had little chance of spotting the Thar and pulling something with surgical precision at the curve. Poor guy was focusing on negotiating that curve at low speeds without crossing the line. Maniacs like Thar should be shunned and their licenses should be taken away from them. And we should have a better driving culture and have more awareness from a young age regarding road manners and discipline. This is the only way forward to tackle, instead of putting each millisecond out of a CCTV footage under the microscope. I'm saying this as a person who was involved in an accident that was pretty similar to this.
epiccross is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:14   #39033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Our society is very keen on blaming the victim ...
And our members seem to be ever more keen to distribute blame percentage. It is good that awareness of defensive driving is improving, but it just us not the answer , after the event, to so many of these accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
We've blamed the bus driver, the Terrano driver, the pedestrian, the road builders and the bus maintenance crew so far. Who's gonna add their mother-in-law to the list?
Yes! It is getting like that!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st September 2023 at 21:15.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:17   #39034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
It's just one lane, with an oncoming pickup, on a blind curve on wet roads. Not sure what active contribution you see from the swift driver. He has the right of way, he is in his lane, making his turn.
Not attempting to avoid an avoidable accident is also a contribution towards an accident. Thar is at fault, but swift driver is thick headed let person at fault crash, its not my duty to save him.
Take a ride in a truck cabin, and if the truck drivers had the same attitude they would each kill one idiot a day.

Rahul

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd September 2023 at 08:56. Reason: removed the word 'ass'
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 22:51   #39035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Not attempting to avoid an avoidable accident is also a contribution towards an accident. Thar is at fault, but swift driver is thick headed let person at fault crash, its not my duty to save him.
Not sure what %age of blame you are placing on the Swift driver. When it's an open wet curving road, your eyes are on the road. You are blaming the Swift driver based on him not making a split second decision. I am not even sure what that decision should have been. There is also a bus standing on the left side of the road a little ahead of the accident.

I will agree to disagree with you and people who think Swift driver shares some of the blame. For me - Thar is 100% fault. Swift and Bolero are doing what most law abiding drivers in India do, so 0% blame.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2023 at 05:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
GutsyGibbon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:56   #39036
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what %age of blame you are placing on the Swift driver. When it's an open wet curving road, your eyes are on the road. You are blaming the Swift driver based on him not making a split second decision. I am not even sure what that decision should have been. There is also a bus standing on the left side of the road a little ahead of the accident.
Absolutely. Check the facts here:
a. Swift was driving at slower speeds, on a wet road, focused on negotiating the curve with another car (i10?) behind it.

b. Thar was fully on the other side of the solid white line, overspeeding, overtaking TWO cars at once on a wet road.

c. Even if Swift had seen him while negotiating a steep and wet curve (despite another i10 being behind it) and somehow still braked, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to believe that this would have somehow avoided the accident.

Thar guy is the definition of a moron who should not have license, and people are still trying to assign some percentage of blame to the Swift guy imposing some impossible standards. As a guy who's been through this, I pray they don't have to face a similar situation and be put under a microscope and assigned blame based on some split second decision they make that was on a CCTV footage.
epiccross is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 10:25   #39037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And our members seem to be ever more keen to distribute blame percentage.
Quote:
I will agree to disagree with you and people who think Swift driver shares some of the blame. For me - Thar is 100% fault. Swift and Bolero are doing what most law abiding drivers in India do, so 0% blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Thar guy is the definition of a moron who should not have license, and people are still trying to assign some percentage of blame to the Swift guy imposing some impossible standards. As a guy who's been through this, I pray they don't have to face a similar situation and be put under a microscope and assigned blame based on some split second decision they make that was on a CCTV footage.
Completely agree!

This is getting beyond ridiculous now. Everyone has become a vehicle crash expert and are expecting the Swift driver to have the reflexes and skills of an F1 driver. All this back and forth about blame % reminds me of the "Can we get serious now" scene from Sully:

Having seen the moron in the Thar from the CCTV footage, we can all expect the Swift to do this and that, but none of us were there. Unless we are specifically trained for such scenarios, we cant say for sure what we would have done. The person driving the Thar is a moron and should be banned from driving, end of story.
GeneralJazz is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:14   #39038
BHPian

Bengaluru Tragedy | 21-Year-Old Loses Life in Heartbreaking Hit-and-Run

Bengaluru Tragedy | 21-Year-Old Loses Life in Heartbreaking Hit-and-Run

In Bengaluru, a heart-wrenching incident unfolded on a Sunday night, leading to the untimely demise of a 21-year-old man named Raghavendra. Raghavendra, employed at a hotel near the Hennur-Bagalur main road, met with a horrifying accident when two speeding cars recklessly struck him near K Narayanapura. This devastating event occurred around 11:40 p.m. as he was returning home with his friends after completing his work shift. The entire incident was captured by a nearby camera.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230922-115331.png

The video footage vividly depicts a red car speeding dangerously, colliding with Raghavendra and launching him into the air upon impact. The tragedy took an even darker turn as another car, bearing the registration number KA 53 MC 7450, heartlessly ran over Raghavendra after he had fallen onto the road. He sustained severe injuries to his head and hand as a consequence of this reckless and high-speed collision.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230922-121619.png

While the video footage hints that Raghavendra might have been using his phone just before the accident (though it's not entirely clear), and he may not have been paying full attention to the approaching cars, the exact details are uncertain.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230922-121723.png

Following this tragic accident, the Hennur police have registered a case to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident. They are taking this step to ensure that those accountable for this tragedy are held responsible for their actions. This tragic incident reminds us of the importance of being safe on the road and driving responsibly. It shows us how dangerous it can be when people drive too fast and take risks while driving.

Source

Last edited by MotorDev : 22nd September 2023 at 12:35.
MotorDev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:19   #39039

Re: Bengaluru Tragedy | 21-Year-Old Loses Life in Heartbreaking Hit-and-Run

I was in the area the next day for a TD and the dealer informed me about that incident. It seemed to be a very high speed hit and run. Hoped they have been caught and punished appropriately
NazgulLOTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 11:56   #39040
Senior - BHPian

This happened in the heart of trivandrum City. Reinforces my belief that 0 star cars are not suitable for any sort of use, unlike the popular point of view here that they are fine for City use.
This used to be an eon. Nearby shopkeeper said this car was parked on roadside with occupants, got hit by speeding Innova with a drunk driver. One person in the car dead, and others with heavy injuries. Innova passengers mostly unharmed.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20230924wa0012.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20230924wa0011.jpg
greenhorn is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 14:41   #39041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
0 star cars are not suitable for any sort of use, unlike the popular point of view here that they are fine for City use.
People justify all sorts of things under the heading of "just city."

Notwithstanding that maximum speeds on the highway may leave the cities far behind, I consider cities to be very dangerous places to drive. The closer the cars, the more risky the driving.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 14:42   #39042
BHPian

This happened on 9th March, 2023 in our 2015 TOYOTA INNOVA 2.5 V (E4)-7S X and thus explains my username.

Background

We were travelling from Mangaon in Raigad to Mumbai and started around 6am. We were 5 people in the car; Mom, Dad, Sister, Grandma and myself. Since we were going back after a long trip the boot was fully packed and the Right Rear Seat was folded too. The seating arrangement was like this. I was the one driving it; my Sister besides me in the passenger seat; my Mom behind my seat; my dad behind my sister’s seat and my Grandma was seated behind my Dad.

Around just 15 minutes into the Journey there is a 2-Lane very short passage of ~3km consisting of uphill section which has loads of Trailers 24*7. I knew this and even though the roads are wide I give them more space to pass. 2 trailers passed and I expected the next to pass too. And to my absolute shock this guy rammed the trailer carrying 20 Tonnes of Steel Coil straight into our car. He hit the Front Headlight and from there he dragged the whole impact till the driver side door. There was a ditch besides but we were saved because there was a heap of Mud on the left side and the left rear tyre bursted out there and absorbed all the impact. There was a huge whiplash and I for once thought it was all over but to my surprise I was awake within 2 seconds while my dad was checking up on all of us. Me and my sister were belted so didn’t suffer any impact but the others just got a few scratches here and there. Surprisingly the 2 front airbags didn’t deploy.

Few Pictures of the Accident

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3358.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3375.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3357.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3373.jpeg
Trailer had completely Torn off the Driver’s door and I was probably saved by a few inches.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3363.jpeg
Dashboard was completely destroyed but notice the unharmed Lord Ganesha.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3368.jpeg
The key was completely bent

The trailer driver had tried to fled the scene since he thought it was a fatal accident but we got out of the car inside a minute and soon caught him. Upon asking what happened he said sir I slept at the wheel.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3378.jpeg
Trailer and Driver

Here in background you can see how off road I was.

Post Accident

We had to cancel going to Mumbai but now had a task to get ourselves back to Mangaon but since it’s our native place we soon went back.

Contacted the SA and he told us to register an FIR. We did the same on the same day. Post this there is Panchnama which took a whole week time for the officers to come and inspect the same. We then towed the car to Lakozy Toyota Vasai.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5242.jpeg
Rusting started after it reached the Workshop.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5241.jpeg
Here it looks as if the Driver Side is Carved out and also how disproportionate it is from both sides.

Post Insurance Survey it was totalled. I have also cross posted some background and insurance claim procedure below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...o-tokio-2.html (How good is Iffko Tokio?)

Final Thoughts

Reason for posting this is to make people aware what someone else’s fault can do to you. I hope to encourage people to buy Safe cars which have a good NCAP score or atleast good passive safety features. Our car took all the impact and saved us.

One thing that we have now learnt and adopted is wearing seat belts even in the rear.

We travel a lot on 2 Lane Roads and whenever a vehicle appears from a turn, till this day my mom and sister get scared and their first reaction is to put their hands on the dashboard even when we our travelling well within the speed limits.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (185) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 15:12   #39043
BHPian

An electric bus got rear ended and caught fire in Chennai near Poonamallee. Luckily all passengers got down.

Link to The Hindu

What was interesting was the way the fire was put out. Watch at 10 sec mark, passerby used water to extinguish and it caused more harm than good . From the image in The Hindu, looks like fire service personnel also using water, but from a safe distance. Wonder why they dont use foam

SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 16:41   #39044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Reason for posting this is to make people aware what someone else’s fault can do to you. I hope to encourage people to buy Safe cars which have a good NCAP score or atleast good passive safety features. Our car took all the impact and saved us.
Wow that is quite a scary set of images to see and I am glad that you and your family were unharmed in this incident. This is one of the reasons why I always encourage people to check out the small frontal overlap collision tests undertaken by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety in North America as most frontal collisions never occur bang centre or even slightly offset but at the edge since drivers tend to take some evasive action. In such instances it is very difficult for the crumple zones to dissipate impact energy thus only well designed cars do well in this test (obviously would be irrelevant for made in India models but atleast CBUs and a few CKDs might have representative scores on the IIHS website).

Also, was any action taken against the lorry driver? It disgusts me to think that he tried to run away after causing such a bad crash.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th September 2023 at 16:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 20:07   #39045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Wow that is quite a scary set of images to see and I am glad that you and your family were unharmed in this incident.

Also, was any action taken against the lorry driver? It disgusts me to think that he tried to run away after causing such a bad crash.
As you said it was actually quite scary and he probably thought noone would come out. Since it was an early morning not much Vehicular Traffic was prsent as this happened in a Rural Area. He parked the loaded trailer right on the road as seen in the picture above and ran in the nearby fields. We had to call him out and tell him things would be worse if we came there.

Unfortunately you cannot take much action against the Driver except for lodging an FIR in which his Name, Age- 23 (Same age as me) and Driver's Licence are mentioned IIRC. It is just limited to that and he surely can start driving the very next day.

I am not sure but I guess in some countries you get points for causing such accidents and your insurance premiums rise too. Hope it gets adopted here in India.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks