Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 15:32   #38281
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This year, I got 1272 Rs. (+ GST) discount at 35% NCB for a 6L IDV car which honestly is not really worth much in terms of car repairs. Even if I add up my past 2 years of discounts, 880 Rs. and 534 Rs. respectively, it adds up to 2600 Rs. over a 3 year period of no claims. A simple bumper scratch repair costs more than that nowadays.

Making a claim itself will very likely increase the rates and that's what makes me to not make claims for small expenses less than 15-20k instead of NCB. For example, Go Digit refused to renew my policy because I made 2 claims in a year which both are legitimate and not a fault of mine.
NCB is calculated on some components of own damage basic premium. If you buy a new car next year, NCB will probably become significant and it takes 5-7 years to get back to 50% NCB. Along with the hassles of filing a claim and increase in premium due to claims. It makes sense not to go for claim unless it is a big value repair.
Old 15th June 2023, 15:33   #38282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Damage to Thar - front bumper, fog light, and underbody protection, without which I would've lost my radiator and also my fuel-tank.

Cheers
You were in the right car at the wrong time. I can't imagine if it was a two wheeler in place of your Thar. It would have ended in a bad fall. I frequent this road on both two and four wheels and make sure I slow down at these spots to be on the safe side although most of the times, the locals wait for the road to clear and cross the highway. These crossings I have noticed are hotspots for accidents.
Looks the truck driver scooted even after jumping on the divider.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:39   #38283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You were in the right car at the wrong time. I can't imagine if it was a two wheeler in place of your Thar. It would have ended in a bad fall. I frequent this road on both two and four wheels and make sure I slow down at these spots to be on the safe side although most of the times, the locals wait for the road to clear and cross the highway. These crossings I have noticed are hotspots for accidents.
Looks the truck driver scooted even after jumping on the divider.
Imagine I was in a sedan instead of Thar.

Also, the barrier missed the Indica and the scooterist behind me - he fell anyway.

And I was not driving fast either - maybe 80 or even 70, since I was approaching this "crossing".

I wonder which idiot thought it was a good idea to have U-turns and pedestrian crossings on highways - this makes cops do the stupid thing of putting barriers to slow people down and also not providing enough warning about said barriers.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 15th June 2023 at 15:40.
tilt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:58   #38284
BHPian

Quote:
Stupid idea, placing barricades on highways; and that too with no signage warning drivers well in advance.
Totally stupid to have such traffic calming devices right in the middle of the main road and create an unnecessary unsafe condition for the users. If at all they are needed, they should have been on the branch road connecting to the main one.

Good lord that you guys are safe. Could have simply turned into a freak accident.

Last edited by NomadSK : 15th June 2023 at 16:03.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:40   #38285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stupid idea, placing barricades on highways; and that too with no signage warning drivers well in advance.
Oh man! That could have gone wrong in so many different ways!

The minute i cross over onto TN, i dread these barricades on the highways. Really wish the NHAI could plan intersections properly. Underpasses or flyovers instead of cops having to resort to such barricades at junctions.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:14   #38286
Senior - BHPian

There were speed breakers on highways. One good soul took the issue to the Supreme Court and the judges said that building speed breakers on NH is not legal.

The district/town police chaps got creative. They started using barriers like this. Technically, this isn’t a speed breaker. I see more barriers in TN highways.

Someone will take it to a court for a ruling I guess.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:18   #38287
Senior - BHPian

Warning : "Viewer discretion advised"

The auto driver aborted the turn midway, causing the accident. Not sure what could have prevented this accident, looks like the Ambulance was having its lights turned on. The auto driver might have failed to notice the incoming Ambulance.

Target fixation could have also contributed to this crash, what do you guys think?
Or the Ambulance hasn't turned on the siren?

I actively practice the following technique while driving, I always look where I intended to go/gaps and not on the threat.

Last edited by ecenandu : 15th June 2023 at 17:25.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:39   #38288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
The auto driver aborted the turn midway, causing the accident. Not sure what could have prevented this accident, looks like the Ambulance was having its lights turned on.
Seems the Auto driver tried to evade the speed breaker (if you see slowly, there are some cat eyes crossing), trying his luck basically, crossed the double continous line and came in direct firing line of the ambulance. However, Ambulnace did try to course corrcet but it went wrong for both.

Last edited by NomadSK : 15th June 2023 at 17:41.
NomadSK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:58   #38289
BHPian

Quote:
[center][b]

Target fixation could have also contributed to this crash, what do you guys think?
The driver of the auto was attending a function with his family when his 3yr old son got sick. He took the child, his wife and father-in-law to the hospital and were on their way back. The auto belongs to the driver's brother.

The auto driver died on the spot. His wife and child are on ventilator support. The father-in-law is in serious condition but stable. This accident happened at 1:40 AM.

There is a slight curve were the accident happened so probably the auto driver must not have seen the ambulance till the very last moment but by then he had already started turning and tried to stop turning but the ambulance also went in the same direction resulting in the accident. I'm guessing the ambulance also must be traveling without siren since it was almost 2 in the morning and there is barely any traffic on that road.
windrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 18:00   #38290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Saw this news just now:

Link, Link

I dont understand, what was the driver supposed to do here? He's driving a loud vehicle over some poorly maintained roads, probably wouldnt even have noticed running over the child.
The driver did not have any awareness of his surroundings, plus that tractor has no business being used as a water tanker. It does not even have mirrors which are very important especially driving in city, this might have averted the incident, driver may have stopped once he saw him.Unfortunate that the kid's live was lost. RIP

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 15th June 2023 at 18:02.
Old 15th June 2023, 18:04   #38291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what could have prevented this accident, looks like the Ambulance was having its lights turned on.
No idea! All I am seeing are sensible things that couldn’t prevent the mishap

- Double solid white lines
- Pedestrian crossing
- Speed breaker
- Emergency vehicle approaching with it’s lights on/siren blaring
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 18:40   #38292
Senior - BHPian

The ambulance driver has no business doing those speeds if he cannot keep the ambulance in control. Yes, the autorickshaw or whatever that contraption is, was in the wrong. They always are, without fail. They are always going to do such things. However, an emergency vehicle cannot drive in such a manner.
pranavt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 18:58   #38293
BHPian

Quote:

The auto driver aborted the turn midway, causing the accident. Not sure what could have prevented this accident, looks like the Ambulance was having its lights turned on. The auto driver might have failed to notice the incoming Ambulance.

I actively practice the following technique while driving, I always look where I intended to go/gaps and not on the threat.
Auto was not turning anywhere. He was doing what almost all of us do in India. Swerve around a pothole, a road hump, or any bump or dump or dung on roads even at the risk or going head on against traffic on the other side. This is the problem of having these half humps on roads. All of us will target the 'clean' road to save our suspension even at the cost of lives .

Auto driver was even more confident due to the unearthly hour and deserted roads.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 20:30   #38294
BHPian

Regarding the Auto VS Ambulance, Ambulance was being driven straddling the solid dividing line. Finding it coming opposite at high speed, auto driver - at the last moment - might have decided to shift into the wrong lane but as misfortune strikes, ambulance driver also corrected his lane simultaneously causing the collision. Not a u turn nor a speed hump.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 20:53   #38295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Regarding the Auto VS Ambulance, Ambulance was being driven straddling the solid dividing line. Finding it coming opposite at high speed, auto driver - at the last moment - might have decided to shift into the wrong lane but as misfortune strikes, ambulance driver also corrected his lane simultaneously causing the collision. Not a u turn nor a speed hump.
Oh my god, that's terrible. If this is true, then it's insane and auto had no chance except just luck to save him. I was wondering this too as there was no pothole/speedbreaker as far as I can see. Do you have any sources?

The ambulance had no right to come in the wrong way at such a high speed, that too at a curve, if true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks