Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 21:32   #38266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Looks like multiple damaged cars and resulting injuries was prevented by sheer luck or the incredible presence of mind of driver…
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Super car control and presence of mind.
Remarkable, yes, especially as the road is so wet.

Unforgivable driving by the rear-ending bus.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:49   #38267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This came in my YouTube feed, an accident in Palakkad, Kerala. Stopping car gets rear ended by a bus. Looks like multiple damaged cars and resulting injuries was prevented by sheer luck or the incredible presence of mind of driver…

https://Youtu.be/w4hKykBY4M4
Saw a TV video interview of this particular driver. He is a businessman and was travelling alone.
According to him, he saw the bus approaching from behind and anticipated the hit. He released the hand brake and before changing gear to move ahead, the bus hit the car. Fortunately he was able to navigate the car through the gap he saw in front and was able to get to safety.

Another good thing is his urge to wear seatbelt (He was wearing that day) in that very short video.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th June 2023 at 12:01. Reason: Added the video here. Thanks! :)
sarathlal is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:41   #38268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This depends on the IDV. In my specific case, the NCB loss and consequential excess GST aggregated over 3 years was going above 1L so paying out of pocket made eminent sense to me.

(Also, I'm not sure how your calculation works; 1272 is not 35% of 7083. It is more like 18%).
Agreed. For higher end cars with high IDV, it can be a significant chunk. But at the same time, parts and repairs cost high too.

On the 18% vs 35% NCB discrepancy, good catch, I need to investigate it. I just renewed my insurance 2 days back with Acko and didn't really validate the breakdown of the numbers. Thanks for catching it, let me see what's going on.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:19   #38269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post

On the 18% vs 35% NCB discrepancy, good catch, I need to investon.
NCB is not applicable on premium of third party. It will be 35% of the other components. Pleasure check the split up of premium.

Last edited by vinodv001 : 14th June 2023 at 13:20.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:55   #38270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This came in my YouTube feed, an accident in Palakkad, Kerala.
TNSTC buses dont stop for signals, Signals stop for TNSTC buses...!

It was almost like the car driver knew "Final Destination" types... and had rehearsed the follow up multiple times! He just saved many heart aches that moment. HERO!
svsantosh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 09:41   #38271
BHPian

Quote:
This came in my YouTube feed, an accident in Palakkad, Kerala. Stopping car gets rear ended by a bus. Looks like multiple damaged cars and resulting injuries was prevented by sheer luck or the incredible presence of mind of driver…
One thing they teach in USA is to keep the steering wheel straight when you are waiting to make a turn. This way, if anyone rear-ends, you will move straight where there will not be vehicles. If you keep it 'turned'. then you will turn and hit the vehicles coming from opposite end.
NagaBond is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:22   #38272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This depends on the IDV. In my specific case, the NCB loss and consequential excess GST aggregated over 3 years was going above 1L so paying out of pocket made eminent sense to me.

(Also, I'm not sure how your calculation works; 1272 is not 35% of 7083. It is more like 18%).
For last 14 year of driving I have not raised a single claim, so my NCB is always 50%, when I moved to a new vehicle NCB was transferred and it saved me good money on that since IDV was around 10 lacs, make sure you have voluntary deduction to the limit you can pay from your pocket and get discount on premium, I am sure that I will not claim if the work can be done within limits of 3k.
nitin_knw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 11:24   #38273
BHPian

Quote:

Bus drivers in India are a menace. Especially those who drive vehicles with a high power/weight ratio like minibuses and Tempo Travelers. There is a special place in hell for some of them.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:40   #38274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Saw a TV video interview of this particular driver. He is a businessman and was travelling alone.
According to him, he saw the bus approaching from behind and anticipated the hit. He released the hand brake and before changing gear to move ahead, the bus hit the car. Fortunately he was able to navigate the car through the gap he saw in front and was able to get to safety.

Another good thing is his urge to wear seatbelt (He was wearing that day) in that very short video.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=7dxTxSz7670
I heard the mention of Mahindra, is this an XUV300 (couldn't make out otherwise).

This incident illustrates the need for proper headrests for all seats and 3 point seatbelts (cut price integrated front headrests in Hyundai Nios for example do not even reach up to my height properly) The whiplash on people who did not brace for the impact could have been tremendous.

Absolutely phenomenal recovery by the driver!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:50   #38275
BHPian

Quote:

Car driver is definitely skilled for such (unfortunate) situations! He expertly maneuvered the car to a safe location without causing any damage to others. The road also seems slippery possibly due to rains. Hope the driver and its occupants are unharmed as the damage to the car is quite substantial
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:59   #38276
Senior - BHPian

Guys, had a bad day today. I go to office only one day a week and that is to see how things are running. I was driving very leisurely at around 30 kmph from JNTU to Madhapur (HYD) when suddenly a motorist rammed pretty hard on my rear bumper. I was shocked at first as this is the first dent/scratch on my new car (bought Nov 2020). I slowed down, drove till Manjeera mall and parked aside to check the damage. It did not look good. I went walking back to see where the motorist was. There were 2 people and the headlight assembly of their bike was damaged. I lost my cool there and had to shout a little loudly.

The guy driving the bike was in his 20s going to office and the pillion rider was a middle aged guy. He tried to argue that even their bike was damaged. I calmed down a little and told him that it was their fault and that I had nothing to do with it. He directly came to the point and asked me what needs to be done. I told him that we can drive to the VVC service center which is barely 2 kms from the spot and assess the damage by the mechanic. Instead he made some calls and asked me to drive to an FNG near Hi-tech city. I did not trust him but had no other choice, took his no. and followed them. He was a good guy, even waited for me at signals and we arrived at the mechanic. The mechanic took some time to assess and then told that he can work on it. It took him 20 mins and you can see the results below. I shook hands with the guy and left the place
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_084953325.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_084947911.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_084941130.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_084944448_hdr.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_111608397.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230615_111603081.jpg  

Last edited by Raghu M : 15th June 2023 at 13:02.
Raghu M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:20   #38277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Is it due to panic breaking by the 2 Wheeler? Or road condition.

Probably a parked Car suddenly entered the highway and that might've triggered to panic breaking. The 2 wheeler rider might've thought that the Car would enter the fast lane, leading to sudden breaking.

The Person is lucky to survive as 2 Cars almost passed over him.
This happened because he braked on the lane divider lines. In most places the lane marking paint is slippery because they do not use the correct paint parameters (in most cases it is painted too thick). I have experienced this many times on my bike, so I am very careful when braking over painted lane markings (recently experienced a minor slip on painted lines while entering the basement parking of a tech park).
Old 15th June 2023, 13:44   #38278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I heard the mention of Mahindra, is this an XUV300 (couldn't make out otherwise).

This incident illustrates the need for proper headrests for all seats and 3 point seatbelts (cut price integrated front headrests in Hyundai Nios for example do not even reach up to my height properly) The whiplash on people who did not brace for the impact could have been tremendous.

Absolutely phenomenal recovery by the driver!
Yes, it's a Mahindra Xuv300. This junction is near my home and is a frequent spot for accidents. Earlier the side approach roads from the city were markedly low and it was impossible for vehicles to spot them. Also, this is the only 4 lane highway in the whole of India where you've stop signals every few kilometers! They should have ideally built an overbridge here instead of putting stop signals on a busy highway. There's a Lulu hypermarket going to open nearby here pretty soon and more such accidents are waiting to happen here.
Krishnan83 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:52   #38279
BHPian

Happened to me this Sunday on the Salem-Bangalore highway. Truck in oncoming lane hit barrier placed in the oncoming lane, it bounced over the median, barely missing the Indica in front of me, hitting me, and barely missing a scooterist behind me.

Stupid idea, placing barricades on highways; and that too with no signage warning drivers well in advance.

Damage to Thar - front bumper, fog light, and underbody protection, without which I would've lost my radiator and also my fuel-tank.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 14:00   #38280
BHPian

The video is even more incredible when seen in slow-mo. The driver brilliantly dodges multiple cars and dividers right after impact, and manages to get the car into a safe position on the opposite lane. Brilliant!

Quote:
iamitp is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks