Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2023, 18:28   #38401
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Looks like oversteer to me, turning right at high speed, rear end moves out and car turns in while losing traction from rear. That is oversteer. If it was understeer the front would have been straight/to the left.
You’re right about the symptoms.

However to my eyes the car’s back spun out as it lost traction on the sand portion and not because of oversteer.

What I’m referring to was the reason why they got into the situation which to me looks like understeer. The straight CCTV footage shows the car too fast to make the corner and understeers all the way into that sand portion.

Anyway, I hope this moron is caught and put behind bars forever.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 18:34   #38402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Another overspeeding idiot taking innocent lives.

High speed on a curve, oversteer resulting in loss of control.
The CCTV footage seems from KIMS Hospital on Minister road in Secunderabad. The car appears to be doing almost double of the speed limit on that road and the loose sand on the road side has caused the car to lose traction and go out of control. Really sad that three innocent young pedestrians lost life due to the reckless driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Burner View Post
This once again reiterates that [b] the driver is the most important safety feature of any car.
You hit the nail on the head. It does not matter if you have a 5 star rated vehicle if the it's being driven by a Reckless driver !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th July 2023 at 14:21. Reason: Minor spacing
DevD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 18:38   #38403
BHPian

Downright scary video. Seems like an interior road, and the speed is crazy, everything was over in a flash. I really hope the driver ends up behind bars (if he's still alive), the pedestrians did not deserve this!

Quote:
In a tragic incident, two women and one child were killed after being hit by a speeding car in Telangana's Hyderabad. The incident took place when the three were out on a morning walk on the Hydershakote Main Road in Hyderabad. A surveillance camera captured the footage of the accident.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/out-...erabad-4176760
Old 4th July 2023, 18:51   #38404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

2. Pedestrians should walk facing the traffic instead of walking on the direction of traffic. Police and volunteers enforced this.

Walking facing the traffic will give atleast a few seconds to react for pedestrians.
Lastly hope you don’t come across wrong side drivers from your back blowing horn.
Experienced more in city limits
cosmodan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 18:53   #38405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
You’re right about the symptoms.

However to my eyes the car’s back spun out as it lost traction on the sand portion and not because of oversteer.
Yup, looks like this was the case.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_0sixteen_nine1.jpg

I guess he was coming too fast to take that corner plus the sand didn't help at all (which covers most of the road near the accident site) and he lost all control at those insane speeds. The guy should be seriously behind bars, should be less than half the speed this moron is driving in such a populated area, especially with a hospital around (the CCTV footage is from KIMS hospital it looks like)
epiccross is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 21:33   #38406
Team-BHP Support

This is a very busy road that has a lot of high speed vehicles. Its broad and divided. Some parts have no obstructions.

The same road claimed the life of Sana Iqbal:
https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...rabad-4904429/

This fuel truck almost ended up taking me out in a fireball on the same road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
https://Youtu.be/nXPPt4gqTF4

I was driving down the road when I see a bus trying to take a U-Turn.
Instinctively slowed down and moved to the extreme left.

A moment later, there is a petrol tanker which zooms by and narrowly misses colliding with that bus. Then another bus squeezes by in that gap.

Defensive driving is the key to surviving on our roads. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had not slowed down and left a huge gap.

My windscreen has a stain from some tape. It was not in my line of sight but unfortunately messed up the video. But the video is still a good enough reminder on just how close a call it was.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 22:17   #38407
BHPian

Just saw this on my ndtv feed. It's shockingly scary and heart wrenching. Viewer discretion advised.

Video: Giant Boulders Crush Cars After Landslide In Nagaland

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/vide...galand-4177792
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 07:10   #38408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Just saw this on my ndtv feed. It's shockingly scary and heart wrenching. Viewer discretion advised.

Video: Giant Boulders Crush Cars After Landslide In Nagaland

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/vide...galand-4177792
Follow up video has also been posted. 3 cars involved - WagonR, Alto and Harrier. Harriers passenger cell appears intact due to impact at the rear. Others crushed.

https://twitter.com/wethenagas/statu...583087617?s=46
vivek.ks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 07:27   #38409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Can this also be extended to the case where if someone is driving an ADAS car and if AEB applied the brakes causing a rear-ending, the ADAS car driver is not at fault in 'legal terms'?
Once ADAS has been legally accepted in the country, the same rule should apply. You are raising a point about future litigation due to ADAS related incidents, but that is an ongoing issue elsewhere in the world as well. These are driver aids and not the ultimate decision makers. The driver can and must be in a position to override these aids. For example, apply brakes manually if the AEB is cutting it too close.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 09:34   #38410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
These are driver aids and not the ultimate decision makers. The driver can and must be in a position to override these aids. For example, apply brakes manually if the AEB is cutting it too close.
One point to reiterate. Yes the driver should be able to override the systems. But hypothetically lets say the driver was on the curved part of the road, saw the sand, naturally one would continue the speed to avoid losing the control and this just might have kept the car in line too. But during this situation if ADAS were to apply the brakes, then the car would loose control on the sand. During this situation, the driver cant really take back the control. In this situation who would we blame?
Old 5th July 2023, 10:42   #38411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
But during this situation if ADAS were to apply the brakes, then the car would loose control on the sand. During this situation, the driver cant really take back the control. In this situation who would we blame?
Sorry, But it won’t work this way. I think, driver is going way above the speed which is required for the corner.

If ADAS intervenes and applies the brakes, that will happen till wheels are about to get locked and at that moment ABS would kick in. And thats enough to keep the car in line. Eventually the car would be back in driver's control.

Anyway, I'm clueless what sand is doing on the roads.
NomadSK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 14:10   #38412
Senior - BHPian

Sand, debris, potholes, loose gravel etc are common sights on our roads. They all appear one day and the PWD or authorities responsible for clearing it will keep looking away, until one fine day an accident happens and somebody dies.

All of a sudden, we can see that the road is restored back to normalcy. But why wait for innocent lives to be taken before action is taken? Sorry for the rant, but this keeps happening like clockwork with least priority given to safety.

Then the new menace like putting thick paints as rubble strips causing vehicles to lose balance; Scattered cat eye reflectors on high speed highways accelerating chances of tyre bursts. The road blockers placed by traffic police (We can see one in the video shared above by bblost as well)

It's really sickening to see that some short sighted set of people are pulling the whole nation backwards as the infrastructure improvement is visibly shaping up positively otherwise. And whole the more important, as we are paying heavily with human lives for these blunders!

Last edited by sarathlal : 5th July 2023 at 14:12.
Old 5th July 2023, 15:51   #38413
Distinguished - BHPian

Sand, gravel, grit are all over the place on roads. Do they cause skidding? No, they do not.

It's another of my Dad's Q&A session with me (might even have been a UK driving-test question too): What causes a skid?

As with our pedestrian-right-of-way dialogue, all those usual suggestions got a firm "No!" from my Dad.

He really made me work at that stuff. Result: I still remember, almost 60 years later. Short version:
Q. What causes a skid?
A. The Driver.
The driver. Always the driver. Because the driver was too fast. Because the driver didn't allow for the wet road. Because the driver didn't allow for ice. Because the driver didn't spot the sand, etc.

It's a hard and unforgiving view. But the road is hard and unforgiving.

The car never "loses control." The driver does.

Any form of automated or assisted driving: if it drives so badly, it's not a help it's a death machine.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th July 2023 at 15:53.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 17:14   #38414
BHPian

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kerala/comm...&utm_content=1

Reckless driver and his friends in an Alto try to follow a BMW and ends up crashing into the back of a Lorry. Location Kerala.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_202307051719192.png

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2023 at 05:18. Reason: Spacing, image inserted in-line.
SaiSW is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 18:29   #38415
BHPian

Recently met with an incident, where the van driver was driving omni or eeco in a very erratic manner, while the school kids were boarded, overly eager to overtake from the left, eventually led to a situation so narrow that 3 other kids had a truck in front of them and the van behind them giving them no space to move, a small movement in the wrong side by either of the vehicle could have turned fatal for the three kids, even after this close call, the driver was reluctant to keep himself in check, eventually I lost my cool and gave an earful to him for not driving properly, and putting the kids and himself on risk.

I request all the members who take services for to and fro for there kids, themselves or elderlies keep a check and be careful.

Last edited by udzgodfather : 5th July 2023 at 18:31.
udzgodfather is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks