Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 11:58   #38446
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hello, saw this in Twitter & sharing. Incident happened in Delhi-Meerut Expressway where a school bus was going wrong side to reach CNG filling station, 6 people sitting in the SUV died. When will we learn!!

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/six-...ndtv_topscroll
GoBabyGo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 12:36   #38447
Senior - BHPian

Embedding the video directly here. The school bus driver should be punished severly, driving on wrongside on a 100kmph speed limit expressway that too on the fastest lane !

DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:46   #38448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Oh my. Wrong way on the main carriageway of Delhi Meerut expressway.

This is wrong at so many levels. This bus driver must be a habitual offender to do so and deserves the strictest of punishment.

I too faced one such incident but within the city limits. The driver wanted to avoid a u-turn that was hardly 100 metre away. He indicated me to move to the left and make way for him. When I showed him the dash cam, then the conductor got down and started reversing.
Meph1st0 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:49   #38449

This is an exhibit of total arrogance by the School Bus Driver, who is expected to be even more responsible for the seat he is in, as he will be ferrying the future generation, the dream and hope of every household, day-in and day-out.

It will not be wise to bring-in the build quality / safety aspect of the SUV, and for that matter any other vehicle in this scenario. The flaw resides with the build quality of the brain that was behind the wheels. More than the metal machines, we need measures to ensure the DQ (Driving Quotient) for every human brain is assured for Road Worthiness.
Street_Smart is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 14:08   #38450
Senior - BHPian

When I see these school bus drivers breaking rules, adults with children as pillion/passenger breaking rules, it makes me cringe inwardly, thinking our future generations are learning to break rules at this age. So put on headbeams and go wrong way, perfectly OK. Stop in no parking zone and put on hazard lights, absolutely fine, blare your horn at a pedestrian crossing on a zebra crossing, fun to see her /him jump.

What are we teaching these children?
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 15:50   #38451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Embedding the video directly here. The school bus driver should be punished severly, driving on wrongside on a 100kmph speed limit expressway that too on the fastest lane !

https://Youtu.be/o_MsZmyP3-U
A leading Telugu media outlets says that the bus traveled 9kms in wrong route before the mishap occurred. That's so strange that there was no police guarding this route for 9kms where a school bus could freely fly on an expressway for 9kms.

Among the fortunate who survived, there is a kid who is in critical condition.
Altrozed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 16:02   #38452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
That's so strange that there was no police guarding this route for 9kms where a school bus could freely fly on an expressway for 9kms.
Really? Why should we need cops to guard expressway? There are cops standing at Ghazipur entry on the expressway only because few idiots take the wrong side exit to save time! Absolute waste of resource! We, as a nation, are unworthy of expressways! We don't understand the basics of driving.

It is a daily affair on DME to drive wrong side to take exits. This bus was in the middle lane which has no exits before Indirapuram, Ghaziabad on that e-way. State buses stop the traffic so passengers can board, yes on a e-way!

Sorry for the rant. Take this road quite often, every-time I avoid running into someone coming in the wrong direction.
sinharishi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 16:10   #38453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
When I see these school bus drivers breaking rules, adults with children as pillion/passenger breaking rules, it makes me cringe inwardly, thinking our future generations are learning to break rules at this age. So put on headbeams and go wrong way, perfectly OK. Stop in no parking zone and put on hazard lights, absolutely fine, blare your horn at a pedestrian crossing on a zebra crossing, fun to see her /him jump.

What are we teaching these children?
Sunday evening in Pune, this moron was riding pillion and yacking on his phone, while his clearly underage (12-14 I guess) son was driving the bike.
Children learn from their parents, as you said. This kid will grow up into a driver who goes the wrong way, bullies pedestrians and jumps red lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1389.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 16:43   #38454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Smart View Post
It will not be wise to bring-in the build quality / safety aspect of the SUV, and for that matter any other vehicle in this scenario. The flaw resides with the build quality of the brain that was behind the wheels. More than the metal machines, we need measures to ensure the DQ (Driving Quotient) for every human brain is assured for Road Worthiness.
If you look at some of the videos, the car is a Mahindra and there is "police" written on the rear door. It is clearly a private vehicle and there are no reports of the injured being cops. Just wanted to point out that this is also a common scenario in india where everyone puts such stickers (police/prashashan/adhyaksh/VP/yuva neta/army/navy) to intimidate other vehicles which needs to be banned.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th July 2023 at 08:17. Reason: Minor typo
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 16:47   #38455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Oh my. Wrong way on the main carriageway of Delhi Meerut expressway.

All six fatalities from the smaller vehicle.

Mind says maximum legally permissible punishment for the bus driver. But heart says exemplary punishment need to be meted out to a few quickly to dissuade rest of the population from even attempting this - perhaps something very visceral that strikes fear in people. In another era public guillotines were used to this effect (but am not suggesting we do that).

More sanely, we (as people, not just authorities) need to internalize a system that awards following rules and norms while exorbitantly penalizing breaking them. Unfortunately, in many regions of our country breaking the law is actively encouraged, even a passage of rite for some.

Many, many drivers in our country will drive down the wrong lane rather than go around for a u-turn for even few tens of meters or to save a few minutes with no one to challenge them.

Last edited by subuiyer : 11th July 2023 at 17:02.
subuiyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:48   #38456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
Many, many drivers in our country will drive down the wrong lane rather than go around for a u-turn for even few tens of meters or to save a few minutes with no one to challenge them.
Many drivers also have this disease which makes their hands react faster than the legs and brain being the slowest. Irrespective of two wheeler, car or bus. If you see the TUV, the steering effort is seen before braking. Drivers feel that they can simply evade the danger without slowing down. And same applies to the bus driver who after spotting the car flashed his lights like a buffoon thinking people must make way and only braked later when he realised the flashing did work. The TUV driver steered left without braking. Had both vehicles braked hard, they would have got more time to react with respect to steering, lesser impact speed and definitely lesser casualties. I see this every single day in traffic that when people spot an obstacle they seldom slow down unless they are cornered and have just no space to evade. If not, they simply switch lanes and come in the path of other vehicles.

Making mistakes like driving on the wrong side is unforgivable especially for someone who is driving a school bus. But on the other hand, these incidents also prove that the majority of drivers on the road only know how to drive when everything is fine. They can't handle emergencies.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th July 2023 at 18:52.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:50   #38457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The school bus driver should be punished severly
I recollected my earlier post in TBhp about Blood Money concept in GCC nations. I am linking (Dashcam reveals a horrible accident caused by KSRTC driver killing two youths) the post here.

In the Kerala 2-Youth 'Murder' Case looks like the Driver is slapped with Culpable Homicide not amounting to Murder (IPC 304). This School driver hopefully should see something similar.

EDIT - some links...

June - 2023 (INR 44,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/loc...00-blood-money

Feb - 2023 (INR 66,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/cri...in-blood-money

Mar - 2020 (INR 88,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/crime-a...women-in-crash

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th July 2023 at 19:00.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 21:00   #38458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I recollected my earlier post in TBhp about Blood Money concept in GCC nations.

EDIT - some links...

June - 2023 (INR 44,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/loc...00-blood-money

Feb - 2023 (INR 66,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/cri...in-blood-money

Mar - 2020 (INR 88,00,000)
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/crime-a...women-in-crash
In the cases you listed, jail sentences were nil, 2 months and 2 months. That is not enough. If large blood money amount (and negligible or nil jail time) is an option, even more rich drivers would not hesitate in turning roads into their race track. A long jail sentence is more impactful than blood money. If only we couldnfix our justice system things might be much better.
abhishekjoshi84 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 22:27   #38459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
... ... ... If large blood money amount (and negligible or nil jail time) is an option, even more rich drivers would not hesitate in turning roads into their race track.
Yes. Being able to buy oneself out should not be an option. And absolutely not an offical one!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 22:47   #38460
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
This is beyond belief and that too wrong side driving by school bus in an expressway RIP those souls. Bus driver should be jailed for manslaughter charges with sequential sentencing that should run for his entire life.

This reminds me of a near miss some 10 years ago while driving to Bangalore from Chennai in i10 near Vellore. I was climbing the curved flyover in right most lane at a speed close to 100Km/hr and when I reached the top of flyover to my horror, I saw a tractor coming opposite to me with lights on. Death flashed on my face and I braked and swevered to miss the tractor and was lucky that there is no vehicle in middle lane. I can see in the rear view mirror that Tractor cooly continued without even bothered about anything. After that I never take right most lane in blind curves and speed dropped considerably.

Some times I feel the only way works in our country is to get one way spikes added after all the road merges and random places to prevent wrong side driving.
thanixravindran is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks