Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 23:40   #38461
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The incident shocked me to the core. Almost cried thinking of those who perished, the kids who are in critical condition.

I believe not much will change, there are so many factors that no one talks about. Exploiting of drivers long work hours and delayed salary, most resort to drinking or they cannot survive. New fast lanes but poorly marked entry and exit. It's so easy to get away. Finally Indian way of cutting corners, take the short cut, it's just matter of risk. The driver will soon get some lawyer like the Hyderabad driver who jumped off flyover killing a woman and blamed the flyover design.
IUNKWN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 12:15   #38462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Embedding the video directly here. The school bus driver should be punished severly, driving on wrongside on a 100kmph speed limit expressway that too on the fastest lane !

https://Youtu.be/o_MsZmyP3-U
In my opinion, driving in wrong (especially opposite) lane any where needs to be punishable with intent/attempt to murder charge in general. Additionally, vehicle must be impounded and driving license must be cancelled permanently.

Last edited by LordSharan : 12th July 2023 at 12:17.
LordSharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 23:00   #38463
BHPian

There was a bit of hold up on the infamous Balagere-Croma road in Bengaluru due to this accident today. Can't guess the model of the car to my left - XL6 ? Ertiga?

Not sure whose fault this was, but I have generally noticed that when driving from Croma side to Balagere, just after the vent below the railway line the third curve or so is a bit sharp ( almost semi circular ), and folks tend to understeer/understimate the curve and frequently find themselves on the right side of the road and the folks coming from Balagere side oversteer due to their visibility of the curve.

I have had to check myself/slow down once or twice on these curves, and wasn't surprised to see this today. The curve is exactly at a point where traffic begins to flow a bit freely (albeit for just a kilometer or so) and folks tend to release their pent up traffic-pressure. It certainly has all the trappings of an accident hotspot.

On the lighter side, we should be proud that these speeds are possible despite our traffic situation.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-croma.jpg

Last edited by airguitar : 12th July 2023 at 23:05.
airguitar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 23:52   #38464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Can't guess the model of the car to my left - XL6 ? Ertiga?
Going by the alloy wheel design, I believe it's an Ertiga. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
It certainly has all the trappings of an accident hotspot.

On the lighter side, we should be proud that these speeds are possible despite our traffic situation.
It certainly seems as though it's specifically set up for accidents. Tight curves with obstructed visibility, frustrated drivers trying to stretch their legs after traffic-crawling, narrow roads with little room to maneuver - What could probably go wrong?

And I tell you, a bad driver can be quite reckless and drive unsafely at 20-30 kmph as well. Rash driving doesn't necessarily have a lower speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
In my opinion, driving in wrong (especially opposite) lane any where needs to be punishable with intent/attempt to murder charge in general. Additionally, vehicle must be impounded and driving license must be cancelled permanently.
In an ideal world, yes. But you just know that this will be in the news for a while and then things will revert to the usual.

This morning when I was at a traffic signal, I saw a traffic patrol car drive the wrong way nonchalantly in peak traffic in Anna Salai. I kept watching and the car stopped at a tea shop, the honourable policemen got out to procure some fresh coffee, I presume. Now if I go and ask them why they don't follow their own rules, I'll probably get either ridicule or punches thrown at my face. At the very least, I'd be politely asked to shut my trap and mind my own business. And I was not even the only one on the road commenting about this.

These are our role models and guardians of our laws <shrug>

Last edited by Small Bot : 13th July 2023 at 00:09. Reason: To multi-quote
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 02:47   #38465
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you completely. Intentionally driving on the wrong side of the lane leading to deaths of others should be treated and punished as murder. When will we as a nation learn to follow traffic rules? Looking at the current situation it doesn’t seem possible in a lifetime.
Darkcloud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:09   #38466
BHPian

Quote:
I mean this is absolutely criminal, but you can't charge someone with murder for this. At best, this is involuntary manslaughter. IMO laws are there, it's about enforcing this strictly. Impose heavy fines, take away their licenses for life and hand out sentences similar to that of involuntary manslaughter.

Plus, fundamentally it is about creating a driving culture that educates right from schools about basic traffic rules and making sure that drivers know about this during tests (the corruption in this case is staggering). I only feel we need to amend laws for making it disability friendly and some things like penalizing jaywalking. Otherwise legally there are enough provisions to penalize all these errant behaviours.
epiccross is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:10   #38467
Senior - BHPian

An accident involving a minister's pilot car. Wonder why they can't stay in the queue at a busy junction like this :(

The patients and driver of the ambulance were injured. And as per news reports, cops had the gall to say ambulance was also coming through the wrong side!
deathwalkr is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:24   #38468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
And as per news reports, cops had the gall to say ambulance was also coming through the wrong side!
Unbelievable!

This minister V. Sivankutty is the Education Minister. Laughable, really. And, did the minister really not stop?
krishnakumar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:27   #38469
BHPian

Quote:
An accident involving a minister's pilot car. Wonder why they can't stay in the queue at a busy junction like this :(

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=MA0oydLLYEs
The reflexes of the cop at the junction is matrix level cool and composed.

Last edited by electric_eel : 13th July 2023 at 11:28. Reason: typo
electric_eel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:32   #38470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Unbelievable!

This minister V. Sivankutty is the Education Minister. Laughable, really. And, did the minister really not stop?
Yes. But he did stop beyond the junction and came out to enquire and then moved on after 10mins or so.

He must have remembered the ports minister getting gheraoed a few days back after his pilot cops thrashed a lorry driver for not giving way.

oh well
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:34   #38471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder why they can't stay in the queue at a busy junction like this!
The Omni was an ambulance, Most likely guess is the sirens from both the wailing cars died each other out.

There is a reason behind the protocol for a cop having his back to the asset/VIP, he can see what is approaching the VIP. The cop on the left of the screen who never saw the Ambulance approach him most likely will be pin pointed.

This is a rare case where both the car drivers cannot be faulted because both had right of the way (Pilot had route cleared by the cop standing and the ambulance, well, his siren and may be assumed the cops were holding the traffic for him facepalm!)

Hence - the cop on the left!

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th July 2023 at 13:36.
svsantosh is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 15:40   #38472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The Omni was an ambulance, Most likely guess is the sirens from both the wailing cars died each other out.

There is a reason behind the protocol for a cop having his back to the asset/VIP, he can see what is approaching the VIP. The cop on the left of the screen who never saw the Ambulance approach him most likely will be pin pointed.

This is a rare case where both the car drivers cannot be faulted because both had right of the way (Pilot had route cleared by the cop standing and the ambulance, well, his siren and may be assumed the cops were holding the traffic for him facepalm!)

Hence - the cop on the left!
Fully agreed

If you see the video carefully, the cop is busy saluting the minister. Are there no protocols on how they should behave in these situations? Or does a ministers ego overrule all these?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20230713_15h37_23.jpg
GeneralJazz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 15:44   #38473
BHPian

https://twitter.com/cynical_ujval/st...N8Q89HT4w&s=19

The occupants are lucky to have had minimal injuries.
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 21:24   #38474
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post

Lucky indeed, they should thank their stars and the car, it could have been worse if it is any other car.

Another similar incident from Himachal, heartbreaking to see the situation of Himachal.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-himachal-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-himachal-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-himachal-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-himachal-4.jpg

Source
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 20:31   #38475
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post

Looks like the Alto in the front got smashed by another boulder at the same time and stopped by the truck. Hope those occupants too made it.

Is it another car already toppled in the side next to Harrier in the Video?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks