Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2023, 10:04   #37711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

High Speed Crash In Delhi, Car Flips, Drags For Many Metres

Source: NDTV

Quote:
A cab driver had a narrow escape after his vehicle was allegedly hit by a car driven by a minor in south Delhi's CR Park.

The 17-year-old class 12 student, a resident of Kalkaji, sustained minor injuries

three more boys were also present in the Baleno car with the injured minor. However, fled from the spot
The speed at which car flipped, the boy (driver) is very lucky to come out with only minor injuries. However, major penalties must be imposed on the parents.

The less said the better about the 'friends' of the minor driver.
Old 28th March 2023, 19:54   #37712
BANNED

The panchayat president goes on a detective mode to find cause of bikes skidding after 7am everyday and finds the culprit. What a heartening news amidst all the negatives one hear about politicians. The culprit was public transport bus spilling diesel while being driven at high speed in the corner!

The Rationalist is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 09:18   #37713
BHPian

My Brezza had its first minor accident near the Kasi Theatre bridge in Chennai last night, when I was returning home from work.

This is a section of the road where a 3-lane road (NH 45, informally still called GST Road) becomes a 2-lane bridge. And adding to the mess is a metrorail pillar that doesn't give you any leeway to maneuver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230329-090252.png

An SUV (it seemed like a Merc G-series) tried to overtake me and cut in before me from the left, but he realized at the very last second that he was about to hit the quite unforgivingly solid metro pillar. So he swerved back into the middle lane, where I was minding my own business and just following the car ahead of me. If I had known he would do this, I would have probably let him in, but it all happened in two seconds or so.

In short, I doubt if there was any damage to his car, but this scratch imprinted itself on my rear left panel, just above the cladding.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230329_084634187.jpg

I suppose I should be grateful that his brakes worked really well and I was saved from further damage. I did not even feel this hit, other than hear the noise of his brakes squealing.

These things happen when people do not look ahead periodically to see the obstacles on the road. Probably driving back home in traffic makes people short-sighted too.

He lowered his window and raised his hand in apology, I just nodded and kept going. Battles scars like these are unavoidable.

Last edited by Small Bot : 29th March 2023 at 09:30.
Small Bot is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 14:04   #37714
BHPian

This has happened to me numerous times now I never cross 80 on highways and 30 on city streets
Old 30th March 2023, 11:50   #37715
BHPian

One user shared this video with me on Twitter and I had uploaded on Youtube after checking with him.

https://twitter.com/Che_Niranjan/sta...230539264?s=20

He could've slowed down after seeing the Kia Carens driver walking across, a lady on the left and a parked truck.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:59   #37716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post

He could've slowed down after seeing the Kia Carens driver walking across, a lady on the left and a parked truck.
Absolutely. I estimate his speed to be over 70-80 kmph when he hit that bike (gauging purely by how fast the scenery goes by). Maybe even higher?

That not exactly the speed you ought to be doing on a two-lane road like this. 50-60 should have been sufficient. And yes, he did not seem to have slowed down even a bit for the earlier two folks on the side.

While this incident is obviously not the cammer's fault, cammer could have either reduced the damage to his car, or probably avoided it, if he had slowed down.
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:21   #37717
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Absolutely. I estimate his speed to be over 70-80 kmph when he hit that bike (gauging purely by how fast the scenery goes by). Maybe even higher?

That not exactly the speed you ought to be doing on a two-lane road like this. 50-60 should have been sufficient. And yes, he did not seem to have slowed down even a bit for the earlier two folks on the side.

While this incident is obviously not the cammer's fault, cammer could have either reduced the damage to his car, or probably avoided it, if he had slowed down.
I find no fault with the camera car driver. He was driving at an acceptable speed on the divided multi-lane highway. There is no reason to expect a drunk two wheeler to collide against a parked truck. We all have passed on the left lane of a 2+2 whilst a two wheeler is riding on the shoulder - I dare anyone to claim that they haven't done so.

I am reminded of an older post of mine from a while ago :

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I can't help but wonder how everyone is able to come up with "solutions" regarding 'what should he/she have done instead' under every single scenario of accident that comes up in this thread.

I agree that the purpose of this thread is to alert us to the pitfalls of negligence by oneself and by other road users, and how to drive defensively.

But that doesn't mean there is a "solution" to every single scenario. There is the factor of 'luck'/'chance' that plays a huge role in accidents.

Tomorrow, I am sure there will be a post saying how the driver of a car who was waiting at a signal and happened to be under the overhead construction of metro flyover (take any city in India, there is absolutely no concept of 'clearance zones' near/under construction sites, simply because there is no space and there is too much traffic) could have prevented a falling rod/bucket on the roof of his car, by sheer 'awareness/cleverness/defensive-driver-mindset' !!

There is a reason these events are called "accidents" - we mustn't forget that.
venkyhere is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:45   #37718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One user shared this video with me on Twitter and I had uploaded on Youtube after checking with him.

Realistically speaking, not much he could have done.

Ideally speaking, the white swift should have been on the left lane, he should not have overtaken the car from the left, the truck should not have been parked there, the two wheeler rider need not have gone and banged into the truck and fallen onto the road etc.

Oh well.

Hope the two wheeler rider was fine.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:52   #37719
Senior - BHPian

It was a good thing the car had a dashcam. If the truck driver had scooted with his truck soon after the scooter hit it, the blame would have been on the car driver for rear ending the scooter and running over it. He was also lucky that it was the scooter and not the rider that ended up in his path. One of those bad luck situations on Indian roads.

Last edited by tharian : 30th March 2023 at 16:56.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 18:35   #37720
BHPian

Quote:
I find no fault with the camera car driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
One of those bad luck situations on Indian roads.
This reminded me of another accident which was discussed on our forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5233490 (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)

True. But we are mixing things here by comparing events which are out of control and which are in control to some extent.

Biker hitting the truck is an uncontrollable event like a flyover falling on someone who is waiting at signal. We cannot prevent that from happening.

Example, Panjagutta flyover collapse at Hyderabad in 2007.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09sld1a.jpg

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ow/2353697.cms

Now, does the car driver had enough time to take steps ? This is in his control to some extent as he's already watching how things unfold from a 2 second distance(time of impact to car hitting bike is 2 seconds), which is less for that speed.

He had swerved to the right, which could've been a rear end too, as there's swift behind him on right lane.

This is similar to this accident in Kerala, where a popular snake catcher died.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5424598 (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)

If our lane is having an obstacle and if there is already another vehicle on the other lane close by, its better to slowdown.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 30th March 2023 at 18:38.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 18:51   #37721

Quote:
I find no fault with the camera car driver. He was driving at an acceptable speed on the divided multi-lane highway. There is no reason to expect a drunk two wheeler to collide against a parked truck. We all have passed on the left lane of a 2+2 whilst a two wheeler is riding on the shoulder - I dare anyone to claim that they haven't done so.
Absolutely, The car was doing sane speeds as per 4 lane divided highway, it was in the right lane, even the most defensive of the drivers would not have predicted someone to collide with a stationary truck and fall in front of his/her car.
Explorer_Jassi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 20:47   #37722
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
In Rear end crashes like these, there is only one universally held rule.

It is always the tailing vehicle, which failed to adhere to the Safe Stopping Distance, that is at fault, regardless of the reasons why the front vehicle braked.
True, but in this case the alto moved in front of the pick-up and slammed it's brakes, so the only innocent party here is the pick up driver. The alto was being driven in a rash manner, the car with the dashcam, should have moved over and parked, while the scooterist....less said about him the better.
regards kaps454
Old 30th March 2023, 21:56   #37723
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps454 View Post
but in this case the alto moved in front of the pick-up and slammed it's brakes, so the only innocent party here is the pick up driver. The alto was being driven in a rash manner,
Err, No !

As it was stated previously, the Pickup simply did not follow the SSD and was speeding way more than it should, in the narrow lane.

Watching the video from the beginning makes it clearer-

the Alto begins to attempt the overtake manoeuvre at 0:01 and tries to change lane, though it aborts and brakes at 0:02 and the pickup, which was trailing it too closely, also tries to mimic the alto's overtake manoeuvre, but it also aborts but could not stop in the time and rearends the alto at 0:03.

Time is the evidence here.

The Minimum Safe Stop Distance Time prescribed by the most traffic studies ranges between 2 sec to 3 sec. The Stopping Distance Time of the pickup was just about a Second and hence, was not safe(SD) and ergo, the Crash !

Last edited by poised2drive : 30th March 2023 at 21:57.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 23:26   #37724
BHPian

Quote:

https://twitter.com/Che_Niranjan/sta...230539264?s=20

https://Youtu.be/gXVyfTIVg98

If someone is justifying the way this car was being driven, then I'm sorry to say that as a community we have lost it. It is one thing being politically right or saying that we can't avoid an overtake from the left realistically, but justifying this is an insult to the art of driving. The guy almost gets off the road on the left, crossing the shoulder line even when there was rally no other vehicle in his lane. That clearly shows he was not driving it well enough to keep it in control. It could be a slight illusion due to the angle of the camera, yet the guy seemed in a hurry. Sure he could not have done much about the scooter. Yet, he was approaching the vehicle ahead at a faster than acceptable rate visually. He did well enough in the end to avoid running over the folks who fell.

One of the safer ways of overtaking on a highway is that first you align your speed to the vehicle ahead such that a sudden braking by that person gives you time, and then pull your overtake. It's not an F1 track to dart in.

And regarding overtaking from the left lane - it might be a bit inevitable. But I recollect someone had posted a video. To explain it in simple terms, if you need to pass a slower vehicle in the right lane, first align yourselves in the left lane to be able to spot the obstacles ahead in both the lanes, and then pull off your overtake in a safe manner.

On a side note - it is like the objects in the mirror - they are closer than they appear. If a vehicle appears in your mirror suddenly, it only means that that driver is not paying enough attention to the environment and is taking a calculated risk. So if you're approaching a vehicle ahead too fast, then you really are taking a calculated risk thinking that the vehicle ahead is going to hold its line and not going to slow down suddenly. Similar to that Alto which brakes and gets rear ended by the Tata truck. It is the urge to dart into the empty space than be a bit patient which causes these incidents.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 30th March 2023 at 23:31.
theabstractmind is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 00:39   #37725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
If someone is justifying the way this car was being driven, then I'm sorry to say that as a community we have lost it.

Yet, he was approaching the vehicle ahead at a faster than acceptable rate visually. He did well enough in the end to avoid running over the folks who fell.
Very well said. Even before I saw the accident, I was thinking the driver is driving irresponsibly. Being under the speed limit (I doubt that too) doesn't justify rash and negligent driving. I would overtake on left lane but I don't think I would go at such speeds so close to a pedestrian. He unnecessarily crossed the continuous line on the left too. He had ample space and time to switch to the inner lane but chose to continue on the left. I definitely wouldn't approach a two wheeler that fast with so less lateral gap.

I am not saying he would have avoided the accident, but, even if unrelated, we should not justify and normalise such irresponsible driving

Last edited by impala : 31st March 2023 at 00:43.
impala is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks