Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2023, 17:36   #37741
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Good evening dear BHPians

I'm releasing a dashcam footage of an event that happened in Port Blair around a week ago. After dinner with my family, I was making my way back. Just before my eyes, it started to happen. He immediately caught my attention when he entered my field of vision.

This young man appeared to be driving a little bit faster, lost control, oversteered, hit an electric pole, and turned sideways.

I stopped at the side and rushed to see him. With the help of 6 to 7 people we turned car back on its wheels and this guy walked out. No visible injury other then minor bleeding in hand and bruises. He wasn't wearing seatbelts, no airbag no stability or traction control and surprisingly this boy was not at all drunk. He just had a cocktail of poor skills, overconfidence, subpar car, wet roads and that damn electricity pole (locals will be cursing him for their electricity connection).

I realised distances are deceptive on dashcam videos, in reality this entire thing was very close to my comfort but on video seems to be at safe distance away.

This boy should thank his stars that no major injury to him. Car plastic parts were all over the road and port wheels deflated with bend rims.

Ps: From the moment that car took a turn till the time it stopped its motion, my wife was yelling - "He is going to hit us".
Aviatoraval is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 20:44   #37742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Yet another tragic case of barricades on Highway! 1 precious life lost! He was dragged for 1 km!
I feel it is a mistake from the riders end, I follow a respect rule, it’s topped by Trucks and busses, followed by Autorickshaw, then lunatics behind the wheels. With that note, considering it’s a truck that too a container, he should have been more careful; that too when he is carrying his kid and wife, no way he should have tried to overtake from left. It is always better to wait for 20 secs, had he waited he would have been happy with his family now.

Very unfortunate that he lost his life and left his family high and dry.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:33   #37743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
My Brezza had its first minor accident near the Kasi Theatre bridge in Chennai last night, when I was returning home from work.

This is a section of the road where a 3-lane road (NH 45, informally still called GST Road) becomes a 2-lane bridge. And adding to the mess is a metrorail pillar that doesn't give you any leeway to maneuver.
There is one more spot to be cautious, The area around Olympia tech park, just outside, can be unforgiving for unsuspecting drivers. The installation of hybrid rumbler speed breakers has only exacerbated the situation. It's a common sight to see broken taillight pieces in this area.
cosmodan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 20:18   #37744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmodan View Post
There is one more spot to be cautious, The area around Olympia tech park, just outside, can be unforgiving for unsuspecting drivers.
Oh yes. It's quite an infamous spot too, just when you come down from the flyover. The rumblers only make the traffic worse, as the road is generally too crowded for anyone to see the signposts in advance. I've forgotten those rumblers a couple of times too, opting to just undergo some spine-jarring jumping around inside the car, instead of panic-braking and getting rear-ended.
Old 3rd April 2023, 07:15   #37745
BHPian

A car had a head-on collision with a wrong side biker on the overtaking lane in AP.
The biker seems to be driving it too fast.

Did the car driver react late?

There is a 3 second delay between the biker entering the frame and car driver shouted.

https://twitter.com/TeluguScribe/sta...370999809?s=20
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 07:27   #37746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post

Did the car driver react late?
It is not clear from the video if the car driver braked on time, but in these situations, I'm not sure if the driver could do anything other than brake hard and brace for impact. The scooter was speeding away to glory. I don't see anything the cammer could have done differently.
Any maneuver to the left to avoid the collision might have only gotten yet another vehicle involved in this incident.

Last edited by Small Bot : 3rd April 2023 at 07:28.
Small Bot is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:47   #37747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
It is not clear from the video if the car driver braked on time, but in these situations, I'm not sure if the driver could do anything other than brake hard and brace for impact. The scooter was speeding away to glory. I don't see anything the cammer could have done differently.
Any maneuver to the left to avoid the collision might have only gotten yet another vehicle involved in this incident.
There seems to be a curve ahead and possibly the driver was blinded? This is what would be a true accident from the view of car. If the two wheeler rider survived he should be put behind the bars on multiple counts - apart from traffic rules criminal charges like attempt to suicide, endangering lives by negligence, etc. I have been lucky to avoid such idiots a few times, especially on BLR-HYD highway.
theabstractmind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:16   #37748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
If the two wheeler rider survived
As per the news, two wheeler rider passed away.
This dashcam video is the only evidence for the car driver, it once again shows the need to have a dashcam.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:07   #37749
Senior - BHPian

Trigger warning:

Have done this highway route several times. The number of Scooters & Trucks going wrong way at the right most lane is alarming and damn scary.

https://twitter.com/jsuryareddy/stat...67797662126080

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th April 2023 at 08:33.
ShortShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:43   #37750
BHPian

Whom to blame?

Rider, car, dog, luck, Govt, municipality

https://twitter.com/PTI_News/status/...sha-8536581%2F
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:57   #37751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Whom to blame?

Can't really blame them. Can be a harrowing experience being chased by a group of dogs on a narrow road.

The dogs did beat a hasty retreat though!

Violent stray dogs are a menace.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:34   #37752
BHPian

Quote:
Whom to blame?

It's a harrowing experience. People often panic when a group of dogs chase. Had it been one or two, probably these ladies would have sped off neatly. Since it was a group of dogs, they panicked .
I often encounter dogs while cycling . I stop riding and and show some counter aggression rather than speeding off. That always scares them away or atleast cools off their chasing instincts. This I learned hard way after trying to speed off similarly in a street when chased by dogs. I ended up crashing down with multiple bruises and the dogs turned tail due to all the drama of crash.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:50   #37753
BHPian

Quote:
Whom to blame?

[/url]
The only thing that I liked in the video was that one of the dogs gets a taste of its own medicine - so to say, when the scooter falls over it.
But I agree to the other comments that trying to outrun a chasing pack of dogs is never a good idea. Best is to come to a stop, and they will disperse 99 times out of 100.
Old 5th April 2023, 11:14   #37754
BHPian

Things like these are forcing me to get a dashcam. I am a newbie driver, driving for mere months now. I just read a few posts here and needless to say it scared the living hell out of me.

Driving in the city, during peak business hours, i have experienced various adaptations of the few cases listed here and i have an incident to report too.

Since i dont have a dashcam, i have no footage of the incident. There was an accident on my way to college. A Nexon EV jumped the signal on a four way intersection. There was a Kia Carnival speeding at 45 or 50 ( he had a full green). Kia Carnival meets Nexon EV. Classic T-Bone. EV did not flip and it took the hit very well, there was debris all over and i was pretty sure the left side of the vehicle was mangled up. Interestingly, the Kia Carnival had one of those heavy duty bars in front of the bumper (making the front look ugly). The bars however, helped the Carnival and it took very little damage.

Fortunately, neither of the passengers were seriously injured. They were conscious, so i assumed fractures or something like that.

I dont know if my narration makes sense, i just pointed this one out to convey that, even if there is a green light, please assume there will always be Trillionaires who will lose crores of money if they stop at a red light.
shresan23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 13:35   #37755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
I dont know if my narration makes sense, i just pointed this one out to convey that, even if there is a green light, please assume there will always be Trillionaires who will lose crores of money if they stop at a red light.
Sadly, there many more ordinary people, with ordinary amounts of money, all the way down the scale to poor people on mopeds, who will exhibit less respect, more ignorance.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks