Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2023, 19:14   #39241
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Noticed this Innova that by the looks of it rear ended another vehicle. I dont have any details as it was parked on the roadside near the toll booth.
I am observing this car from 2 weeks at Shamirpet Toll. I searched for the accident video when I saw it first, it was an aftermath, which I didn't share.

Looks like it hit a stationary truck.

Old 26th October 2023, 20:17   #39242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I am observing this car from 2 weeks at Shamirpet Toll. I searched for the accident video when I saw it first, it was an aftermath, which I didn't share.

Looks like it hit a stationary truck.

https://Youtu.be/o1yx61ChNbM?si=Jj87WrzSp8ulk8y1
Yes this is the one...must have been doing some high speeds to cause this much impact.
Old 26th October 2023, 21:40   #39243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathan1130 View Post
Happened today when going to the office all of sudden a cattle entered the road..
Regarding the speed of the Hyundai Eon,that's not the speed I would go, if I have a tailgater behind.
Old 26th October 2023, 22:30   #39244
BHPian

Quote:
Happened today when going to the office all of sudden a cattle entered the road..

Damn, this looks scary, isn't this the Vandalur-Kelambakkam route? This is the route I take from Mogappair to my office in Siruseri on my bike. This road has a cattle infestation, especially around the couple of turns before we reach VIT. This is just lack of attention from the bikers plus riding too close to the vehicle in front. Could've been easily avoided.

Further down this route, in the Pudupakkam area before we enter SIPCOT through the back route, cattle galore! However, this is to be expected since most of this area looks like pasture land.

On the main road however, every time I see cattle munching grass/shrubs in the divider, I slow down considerably, but that's only when I see them. What if I don't? This seems like a scary ordeal to go through.

Last edited by krankstter : 26th October 2023 at 22:40.
Old 26th October 2023, 23:50   #39245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
I guess we can start a separate "Kerala accidents" thread.

On a serious note, I would like some inputs from people of Kerala in this group.
Narrow roads, rash driving or is it much more?
Narrow roads, rash driving is all there.

But the main reason you see a lot of videos from Kerala is mainly due to the density and the urbanisation of population. There is no village-city divide as you see in other places. The whole state is an big town.(a little exaggeration, but you get the point) This means houses and shops everywhere and proportional CCTV density. This coupled with high density of cars provides good content for this thread. .

On a diffrent note, though lane discipline is zero, but with my experiance of roaming around quite a few states in the country, Kerala adheres to traffic signals. I have seen very few people jumping the signal, even in close to zero traffic.

Last edited by nettooran : 26th October 2023 at 23:53.
nettooran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 00:53   #39246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... all of sudden a cattle entered the road..
There is a lot of incentive for the cattle to be on the road with its fodder laid out all along the divider.

When will the authorities realize that road divider is not a place to plant shrubs/bushes and vegetation.

On top of that, you'll find a slow moving water tanker in the middle of the road watering the plants on the divider, thats another hazrd to fast moving vehicles near the divider.

Vegetation on the divider is a clear invitation to cattle.
The shrubs and bushes also blocks visibility of both the vehicles coming from the other side, as well as people and animals crossing the road, which can suddenly emerge from these bushes giving very less time to for vehicle drivers to react and brake in time.

A road divider should just be a simple high railing either made of concrete or metal. We should have a well thought out uniform implementation of the same all across our country.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th October 2023 at 01:00.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 04:53   #39247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happened today when going to the office all of sudden a cattle entered the road.
I am encountering more and more cows on the street. My newspapers confirm that it is a problem on the increase. They claim that authorities are increasing impounding them and fining owners, but I see only increase.

pedant/
and I keep reading "a cattle" in New Indian Express. No: cattle is plural, there cannot be one cattle.
/pedant
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 07:51   #39248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is a lot of incentive for the cattle to be on the road with its fodder laid out all along the divider.

When will the authorities realize that road divider is not a place to plant shrubs/bushes and vegetation.
A road divider should just be a simple high railing either made of concrete or metal. We should have a well thought out uniform implementation of the same all across our country.
I think this bushes along divider is a simple and cheap jugaad solution by the authorities for another problem: most road users are always on high beam, or modified/ auxiliary Led/Hid bulbs
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 09:49   #39249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
13 people from Andhra Pradesh were killed near Chikkaballapur, on the outskirts of Bangalore today. The Sumo they were travelling in collided with a stationary truck.

https://www.news18.com/india/chikkab...e-8634006.html
I hail from a place very close to where the passengers have come from and I felt very disturbed seeing this news. Imagine the gloom that would have descended in the village or two from where around 15 people have passed away. Most of them have families/children back in their villages and are working in Bangalore for their livelihood.

Don't want to speculate on the reasons, fog could be a major culprit here. But overloading of these vehicles is also a big big factor. Tata Sumos, Cruisers, Toofans which are loaded upto 2 to 3 times beyond their capacity is a norm.
They do this because it works out cheap for them compared to a RTC bus which is much safer.

Given that we can't enforce the a laws effectively for these type of violations, I feel happy when the governments make the public transport subsidized. Don't want to digress in to a political discussion, but affordable public transport even at the cost of loss to these corporations is an easier way to make our roads safer. This will reduce the number of these unsafe contraptions(Autos, Toofans, Cruisers, tractors) ferrying people on our highways which are becoming faster day by day.

Last edited by nagarjun : 27th October 2023 at 09:57.
nagarjun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 10:28   #39250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I hail from a place very close to where the passengers have come from and I felt very disturbed seeing this news. Imagine the gloom that would have descended in the village or two from where around 15 people have passed away. Most of them have families/children back in their villages and are working in Bangalore for their livelihood.

They do this because it works out cheap for them compared to a RTC bus which is much safer.
Totally understand what you mean. Unfortunately, the labour force of this country are the "cattle class". Be it interstate trains, local trains (Mumbai), state transport buses or such taxis. Successive governments have made no effort to improve their lives, especially the current one over the last decade that indulges in vanity and pomp and grabbing eyeballs but little else for the common man.

23 years ago, I once travelled in a Trekker carrying 39 people in Odisha's Bhadrak district. I had one butt on the seat and one leg inside. There was another standing on the footstep. When I enquired, I was told that they load on upto 52 people. Why? Because these small towns and villages do not have proper transport facilities. I doubt if much has improved since then.

It's a racket, aided by the Government, that they do not prioritise public transport (not Metros for the urban class) and allow private operators a free reign. Last week for the festive holidays, a ticket that normally costs 800-900 was going for 3000. Much is spoken of the resilience of the Mumbai local passengers. It's not that. It's purely survival.

How can the working class (especially those involved in manual labour) afford such atrocious pricing. Their only saviours are the Toofans, Cruisers and Sumos. Because every single.rupee they made is hard-earned and every single rupee they save might get them a meal.

It's a tragedy. And it will keep repeating, because the ones who need to and the ones who can bring change, don't care.
discoverwild is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 14:57   #39251
BHPian

In another case of rash driving in Delhi, an SUV rammed into a Delhi Police constable in what appears to be a nakabandi. The official was ostensibly checking another vehicle, when an SUV comes in from behind, rams into the constable, flinging him mid-air, colliding with the vehicle in front, smashing the police barricade and driving on.

IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 15:42   #39252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
smashing the police barricade and driving on.
Not justifying the Scorpio's actions but what is with cops nowadays, they put barricades anywhere on roads and start checking papers right there. They themselves are not following any rules. It looks like several factors such as sudden blockade of broad pathway, night lights and rash driving collectively caused the incident here.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th October 2023 at 17:28. Reason: Post formatting
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th October 2023, 20:22   #39253
BANNED

Name:  104739969.png
Views: 796
Size:  174.3 KB

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../104739945.cms

One colleague lost her life in this accident. Such a nice woman whose life was cut short in a horrible way.

The last time I took an overnight bus was 15 years back. As someone who is skinny and can't tolerate low temperatures, I came to the driver's cabin to see the Kallada bus overtaking so many cars. I just glanced to the speedometer, it was hovering around 140kms/hr to my horror. The roads from Kerala to Bangalore were not that great at that time! I was terrified for the rest of the journey and couldn't go back to my seat. I stood there for 4-6 hours till the bus reached Kalasipalaya in Bangalore! I have never set foot in one till now. The thought of that ride sends chills down my spine still.
The Rationalist is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 08:27   #39254
BHPian

Saw the aftermath of an accident on the Anmod Ghat on Oct 21, the long weekend traffic!

Seemed like a Skoda Kushaq had understeered into the mountain wall. Very likely to have been higher than acceptable speeds for the road.

Thankfully, no one injured (at least didn’t look like it) and no other vehicle involved.

Here’s a clip from my dashcam:

OT: That place had zero network coverage. What can one do when they are involved in something like this to call for help?
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 16:16   #39255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
One colleague lost her life in this accident. Such a nice woman whose life was cut short in a horrible way.

The last time I took an overnight bus was 15 years back. As someone who is skinny and can't tolerate low temperatures,
My heartfelt condolences. As an equally skinny and low-temperature averse guy, I have done the same. My last bus ride was in an AC sleeper from Bangalore to Coimbatore and I was in a single sleeper. Honestly speaking, a coffin would have felt more roomier as my shoulders got stuck inside. I had to sleep only on the side for the entire ride. And bus took only 5 hours from Silk Board Circle to Coimbatore through rural roads. A journey that takes me at least 6 hours non-stop at a steady pace.

My condolences once again. A young life snuffed out for no fault of hers.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks