Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2023, 18:39   #39376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Great sharing in the interest of learning. To add, we need to specifically treat school buses (bright yellow for a reason) with extra levels of caution, safe distance and also right of way. Mindful of rogue drivers piloting school buses too but we are not to judge that.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 19:03   #39377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today I was a bad driver resulting in an accident that left me with a badged-up bonnet and a bruished ego.
On November 26th (Sunday), I found myself as a less-than-stellar driver, culminating in an accident that left my heart shattered. The mishap resulted in damage to the driver-side ORVM and cast a shadow over my day with a swan-like face of remorse.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1-copy.jpg

My children’s attend Table Tennis class on weekends, and since it's conveniently close, I usually opt for a two-wheeler. However, with the onset of winter in the northern part of the country, the cold led me to choose the warmth of the Hycross.

I was navigating within the confines of the society compound, driving cautiously and well within the speed limit. Just as I was about to exit, approximately 100 meters before, an MG Hector was parked parallel to another car, leaving barely enough space for one car to pass through comfortably.

In hindsight, I should have slowed down even more, but I attempted to maneuver through, hoping I could make it. Then came the unmistakable sound – – the first blemish on my Hycross after precisely 164 days.

I promptly halted the car to assess the damage. My heart sank as I discovered the shattered LED cover on the ORVM. Upon inspecting the Hector, I found some scratches on its side mirror that could be rubbed off. I immediately apologized, but to my surprise, they admitted it was also their mistake for parking the Hector in a no-parking zone, and the matter was settled amicably.

Returning home, the reality of the damaged ORVM refused to sink in. I reached out to the service advisor, yet received no clear response on whether only the LED cover could be replaced or if the entire ORVM needed replacement. (Suggestions welcome)

Despite the drama, the ORVM and all its functions are working fine.
I'm torn between repairing it, leaving it as is, or making an insurance claim. As a gesture of compensation, I've decided to get a professional wash done (may be detailing) coming weekend, as I think I tend to drive car more carefully if its spotless than dirty one.
woodstock3001 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 21:15   #39378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
I reached out to the service advisor, yet received no clear response on whether only the LED cover could be replaced or if the entire ORVM needed replacement. (Suggestions welcome)
I had a similar issue with my Creta wherein the glass cover of led turn indicators on ORVM was damaged and subsequently, indicator light also stopped functioning(I still don’t know when & how it happened). Only glass cover and led was replaced and not the complete ORVM. It costed me around Rs. 1000.
Old 30th November 2023, 07:37   #39379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I reached out to the service advisor, yet received no clear response on whether only the LED cover could be replaced or if the entire ORVM needed replacement. (Suggestions welcome)
We had changed the indicator on our Crysta. Was around 1500/- IIRC.
Old 30th November 2023, 12:41   #39380
BHPian

Quote:
I'm torn between repairing it, leaving it as is, or making an insurance claim. As a gesture of compensation, I've decided to get a professional wash done (may be detailing) coming weekend, as I think I tend to drive car more carefully if its spotless than dirty one.
Please plan to replace the indicator as dust and water will accumulate inside and look ugly. The Indicator light with clear plastic enclosure comes as a set. In BoodMo it is showing as INR 2031. Your ASC can source only this particular part and fix it easily once the part arrives.

The price of part is much less than your NCB that stand to lose if you make an claim.
DevD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 14:42   #39381
Senior - BHPian

Hector SUV meets with a severe frontal head-on collision. Airbags fail to deploy.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20231201-screenshot-09.55am-29022.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20231201-screenshot-09.55am-44515.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20231201-screenshot-10.30am-41657.jpg

https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ou...icle-105615529

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2023 at 10:32. Reason: Adding 3 pics
RM Motorsports is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 15:52   #39382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
We had changed the indicator on our Crysta. Was around 1500/- IIRC.
Did you get it changed at an ASS, or via a third party accessory shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevD View Post
Please plan to replace the indicator as dust and water will accumulate inside and look ugly. The Indicator light with clear plastic enclosure comes as a set. In BoodMo it is showing as INR 2031. Your ASC can source only this particular part and fix it easily once the part arrives.

The price of part is much less than your NCB that stand to lose if you make an claim.
I checked BoodMo, but did not find only the indicators on there, plus I'm not sure of the quality. Found it on Amazon, but again it wasn't OEM. Trying to check with the service advisor if the same can be replaced. Might not claim insurance, but at least I will have the OEM parts.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2023 at 12:07. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
woodstock3001 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2023, 16:00   #39383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you get it changed in Service Centre, or via random accessory shop?

I checked BoodMo, but did not find only the indicators on there, plus I'm not sure of the quality. Found it on Amazon, but again it wasn't OEM. Trying to check with the service advisor if the same can be replaced. Might not claim insurance, but at least I will have the OEM parts.
I got it changed few years back from the service center.

Boodmo should have the indicators alone. I need to change the ones on the Creta and it's available. Try searching on Google and navigate to Boodmo. The search/filter on Boodmo is pathetic.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2023 at 12:08. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Old 30th November 2023, 16:08   #39384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
MG Hector SUV meets with a severe frontal head-on collision. Airbags fail to deploy.
Luckily all occupants are safe. The Hector is otherwise quite solidly built. But the six airbags not deploying is a very serious matter. We have had two similar instances for the Scorpio N, whose harried owners posted the non-deployment of airbags during mishaps on teambhp.

Our consumer laws lack much teeth, and are still liberal affording leverage for offenders to escape.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 10:35   #39385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hector SUV meets with a severe frontal head-on collision. Airbags fail to deploy.
It's impossible to tell what happened in an accident (usually, even for those within the car) -- but this certainly doesn't look like a vanilla "head-on collision".

As I've expressed before on the thread - airbags can save you, or airbags can kill you. It's up to their logic to figure out whether or not they should take the risk of doing either, and when in doubt they err on the safer side (ie. do nothing).
Rehaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 12:37   #39386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Today I was a bad driver resulting in an accident that left me with a banged-up bonnet and a bruised ego.
<snip>P.S: This may also be apt for the bad driver thread.
Glad to know you/none other was hurt & no major impact.

Been there, done that! (ashamed ) The first "accident" of my life, hope it's the last too.

Been commuting on a certain road in city for last 20years, so thought I knew the area like the back of my hand, hence a slight lapse in attention.

Got a slight break from bumper-to-bumper traffic, vehicles were sparse being 3pm, so thought to change to my fave song. All the while going at hardly 30kmph.

Before I knew, same situation as you recounted - spouse shouting to be careful, and I go BANG a Tata Tigor with a L.O.U.D noise before I could apply the brakes. Tigor had to hard-brake due to a moron taxi driver ahead abruptly stopping in the middle of the road, for whatever reason he only knows .

The tigor's trunk portion got bent inside, break lamp broken, but my XUV5OO suffered a minor dent only at the lip of bonnet (later got this fixed at FNG for free).

Thankfully, the gentleman in tigor, commuting with his wife & 2 kids, didn't pick a fight after I profusely apologised for my mistake & asking if his family were hurt in the impact. We both parked cars aside, bit of negotiation, paid him 5K for damages, parted our ways.

Lesson learnt! N.E.V.E.R again even a slightest lapse of attention while driving.

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 1st December 2023 at 12:52.
KrisTvpm is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 15:51   #39387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is definitely not a 'head-on' collision. Looking at the damage on the roof, it look like a rollover accident.

I've said this in other posts as well - very few mass market vehicles in India will deploy airbags in roll over accidents as the Airbag controllers used do not have a yaw rate or intertial sensor to detect rollovers. Airbag deployment in these cases is purely acceleration sensor based and hence if the threshold decleration after impact is met, the airbags will deploy.
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:22   #39388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
As I've expressed before on the thread - airbags can save you, or airbags can kill you. It's up to their logic to figure out whether or not they should take the risk of doing either, and when in doubt they err on the safer side (ie. do nothing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
hence if the threshold decleration after impact is met, the airbags will deploy.
Simply speaking, as explained in numerous posts on this forum, roll-overs are not equivalent to side impacts. And if the vehicle manufacturer has not claimed to provide roll-over safety systems, they can't be liable for outcomes during roll-over scenarios, unless roll-over itself was caused due to some design flaw.

Moreover, the purpose of airbags (along with vehicle structure, seatbelts etc.) is to save the lives or prevent serious injuries to occupants in an event of crash. So, IMHO, if the occupants survived an accident without serious injuries, then it doesn't matter whether airbags got deployed or not. Safety of occupants is the desired outcome, not the deployment of airbags.
AutoNoob is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 14:45   #39389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Safety of occupants is the desired outcome, not the deployment of airbags.
If only more people understood this!

People think as if “I have paid for 6 airbags, I want to utilize all 6 airbags”.
krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 16:31   #39390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
If only more people understood this!

People think as if “I have paid for 6 airbags, I want to utilize all 6 airbags”.
Having said that, the instances of airbags not deploying as per design requirements is a well known world wide phenomenon, with numerous recalls taking place as well as lawsuits etc. So for the lay person it is natural to think so.
fhdowntheline is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks