Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 00:00   #39331
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Sometimes my co-passengers get irritated by my pussillanimity. I really do not get the point; it is not that I am going to win a param-veer-chakra sacrificing my life on the road.

Remind them of the scene from the movie "Rush", where Niki Lauda explains to his female co-passenger who was not ready to believe that he was a Formula 1 driver since he was driving the passenger car patiently like an old man.

His comments - "Why should I drive this car fast when I am not being paid for it and there is no incentive to do so?"
Fx14 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 00:08   #39332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
His comments - "Why should I drive this car fast when I am not being paid for it and there is no incentive to do so?"
But then he goes ahead and drives fast when the beautiful lady demands. I do not do that even when my beautiful lady demands . (I will conveniently ignore the fact that I cannot drive like Niki Lauda).
electric_eel is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 09:27   #39333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Sometimes my co-passengers get irritated by my pussillanimity. I really do not get the point; it is not that I am going to win a param-veer-chakra sacrificing my life on the road.
I am sorry but I had to go completely off-topic here but even the default dictionary in my phone couldn't find the meaning of the word "pussillanimity". I had to look it up on Google. Here is the meaning for those who were wondering - It is a noun - Lack of courage or determination.

And hats off for the English lesson.
NG_EV is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 14:19   #39334
BHPian

Reading this thread everyday is making me anxious when I drive nowadays. I've been driving for close to 18 years now and decently confident with my driving. But now, this thread reports soo many accidents, It's making me very cautious when driving. I keep expecting some two wheeler or a cattle or cyclist from every turning to just come on to the way. I'm getting worried to even hit the brakes hard since a dreaming two wheeler will come and bang the car. Its like the seeing the movie series "Final Destination" and getting worried every time you see a truck in a highway. This thread is even more scary because these are real life instances.

Of course I'm in noway blaming anyone posting here, its been so helpful and so good for awareness. I'm just sharing my thoughts with fellow bhpians.
I hope to not look at this thread for a while

Last edited by vinay.sathyan : 17th November 2023 at 14:20.
vinay.sathyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 15:26   #39335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
Reading this thread everyday is making me anxious when I drive nowadays. ... ... ... It's making me very cautious when driving.
I don't think that accidents have got any worse than they were, but perhaps our coverage of them is less restrained, and I can no longer stand the gory stuff. Just can't watch it, let alone discuss it afterwards.

But caution is the best result. Being aware of all those possible accidents around us, that you mention, is the best way of helping to prevent them. It sounds to me that you are getting a good result from reading this thread

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2023 at 05:04. Reason: As requested
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:40   #39336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
Of course I'm in noway blaming anyone posting here, its been so helpful and so good for awareness. I'm just sharing my thoughts with fellow bhpians.
Yep, awareness is the key. A good majority of road users are not aware of basic road usage patterns, like which side to walk, importance of traffic signals, blindspots of larger vehicles etc.

Also remember that Accidents is an even smaller percentage compared to 'Just miss' cases.

Many a times, if those who 'just miss' by a whisker are even made aware of how close they were to being wrecked, it would have made whole lot different in their driving perspective.

Just like we say for road rage, the post accident consequences are simply not worth the excitement achieved with rash/negligent driving.
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 17:21   #39337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
A major crash occurred today on the Dharapuram-Palani highway in Tirupur District, Tamil Nadu. This road is one of the shortest route for Bangalore to Kodaikanal. It was a head-on collision and the car was ripped apart by the impact. It is a two-lane road and, as expected, overtaking without judging the speed of the opposite vehicle seems to be the reason. Five occupants in the car died on the spot .
A very tragic accident. The newslink adds that none of the now dead occupants were wearing a seat belt. They were in the 45- 65 age group. It's a pity that even at that age people (so called matured) do not tend to follow the basic safety guidelines. And the one who was driving Mr Tamil Mani was 50, and preliminary reports say that the car was speeding. Again, it was a 850 Kg metal (including those Maruti quality plastics) versus a seven and half plus ton monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Was that a WagonR? May the departed souls rest in peace!
Yes indeed, most, most likely a Wagon R.

Five killed after car collides head-on with tanker lorry in TN's Dharapuram

http://dhunt.in/QJ2Hg?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "The New Indian Express" via Dailyhunt
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 18:15   #39338
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Which car was this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Was that a WagonR?
Yes. It was a WagonR. The straightness of this road, and a smooth surface, makes drivers even more eager to pedal. According to the villagers, the accidents have become common due to the excessive and irrelevant speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can no longer stand the gory stuff. Just can't watch it
Sir, I have photoshopped the drivers face in the first picture

OT: My local home is only 15 km away from this spot and have travelled umpteen times on this road.

Last edited by RGK : 17th November 2023 at 18:23. Reason: Add
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 18:17   #39339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Name:  Screenshot 20231113 at 3.11.16 PM.png
Views: 839
Size:  605.5 KB

Maruti engineers right now...

Manager - How did this happen?
Engineer - You only said NCAP does only frontal crash test
Manager - But many times Tbhp wale also shows front banged up, how?
Engineer - Sir that Engg was never hired sir.
Manager - So what do you do here?
Engineer - I am the rear crumple zone engg sir...
svsantosh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 18:34   #39340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Five killed after car collides head-on with tanker lorry in TN's Dharapuram

http://dhunt.in/QJ2Hg?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "The New Indian Express" via Dailyhunt
Key excerpt from the article:

Quote:
Preliminary investigation revealed that the car was speeding and none of the occupants was wearing seat belt.
Old 17th November 2023, 18:48   #39341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Attachment 2532568
Maruti engineers right now...
Manager - So what do you do here?
Engineer - I am the rear crumple zone engg sir...
Maruti's rear crumple zones save only the engine bay. Happily we dont have rear engined Marutis. Just can't imagine the hot engine pushing itself through the occupants in such cases.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 11:52   #39342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Just can't imagine the hot engine pushing itself through the occupants in such cases.
Quite literally a hot knife slicing through butter.

Maruti made an absolute howler with that 'crumple zone' thingy and I think their management might just want to even ignore it happened. It's not dying any time soon as long as salespersons are parroting the same spiel all over the country though.

I once had a Honda salesman in Chennai tell me that all sedans are safer than all hatchbacks, because they have a larger crumple zone in the front and the rear. I had to struggle to keep a straight face.
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 18:20   #39343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I am going to describe an accident from the year 1985. And I am sure none of you have come across or heard such a thing.

...son came down and saw the tragedy. X died on the spot.
I can't imagine the trauma he the kids, especially the son must have gone through! Poor soul.

I'm finding it difficult to shift the image from my mind now.
This accident is a reminder of how careful one should be near any kind of machine.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 16:37   #39344
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a video shared by YouTuber Prateek Singh showing two Hyundais' encounters with a stray bovine and a Nilgai (an antelope or blue cow as these are called) respectively on different occasions on different highways.

The first, an i20 ducks a stray bovine in the dark, as its being driven at a low speed. The stray has strayed right into the middle of the road.

The second one could have been tragic.The Creta driven at 100 kmph or maybe more a few days ago, on a highway near Pilani, Rajasthan, encounters a wild Nilgai during dark. The animal is hit by this speeding Creta, which in turn also hits a pole. The frontal impact damages its face and engine bay beyond recognition. But the occupants emerge without any injuries. Its airbags get deployed, saving the lives. The passenger cabin is quite intact. Nilgais are too bulky and a full sized animal (as seen in the video) could weigh upto 300 Kg or maybe more. As these are bluish black in colour, visibility at night or during bad weather is low.

We have another instance here where a Creta has saved lives of its passengers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th November 2023 at 16:40.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 23:57   #39345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I am going to describe an accident from the year 1985. And I am sure none of you have come across or heard such a thing.
This reminds me of an near miss I had, but nowhere as tragic.

One day, when I was mowing my lawn, the blade of the lawn mower broke and flew from under the lawn mower and got embedded into a tree trunk in the garden.
If it had flown in a different direction and hit my leg, the consequences could have been severe.

The blade had got bent previously when I was mowing, when the blade hit a ground level tree stump. This caused the blade to vibrate when using the lawn mower. I had used a wrench and straightened the bent blade, which caused the vibration to stop. But I'm assuming that I must have introduced some weakness into the metal.

Sharing this experience, if it may prove a useful lesson to someone...

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st November 2023 at 07:51. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
rohantn is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks