Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2023, 16:08   #39436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A bump a couple of evenings ago...

An old story, posted by many. Ahead, on ECR approx RTO area, there was a bike then a car. Both stopped suddenly. Actually, I was a bit close, according to what I tell others! And I wasn't quite fully concentrating. But I did stop.

Young guy behind me didn't. He had steered to the left, so the damage is to my rear quarter bumper, ie below the left rear light. It's pretty much cosmetic. Probably needs paint though. I haven't washed off his paint to check it out yet.

We did stop. He was a young guy, and didn't have much to say: maybe he was a bit phased at finding he'd hit a non-Indian! His front bumper was more damaged. I think he wanted to complain about that, but I gave him a lecture on driving too close, said, look, never mind, you fix your car, I'll fix mine, and parted ways.

Odd. I do plenty of rhetorical shouting at all and sundry from inside the car, but when it comes to a bump, I just don't have the will to fight. Maybe if it was a posher, expensive car I might, but it was a humble vehicle.

I don't even recall what it was! This was a mistake: I should have taken the details in case I find I have to make an insurance claim. Hey ho...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 17:43   #39437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't even recall what it was! This was a mistake: I should have taken the details in case I find I have to make an insurance claim. Hey ho...
Do we get to see you invest in 2 dash/rear cams in near future?

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2023 at 17:40. Reason: Post trimmed. Relevant bits retained.
svsantosh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 01:33   #39438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Do we get to see you invest in 2 dash/rear cams in near future?
I should invest in dash cam, let alone rear cam!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 22:27   #39439
BHPian

Quote:
A bump a couple of evenings ago...
Sir, I regularly follow all your posts in this thread !!

I lived and worked in Chennai for couple of years in OMR. My office colleague who was born and grew up in Chennai told me that if something like this happens, first - start shouting the other guy. That is how you should survive in Chennai. His logic was - one who starts shouting first will be dominant enough to convince that the other guy is wrong and will have upper hand.

I had such an incident but thankfully nothing major happened and wanted to start shouting but I am not fluent enough in Tamil. I take time to construct the sentences in Tamil. Maybe because of my confused/broken Tamil, the other guy kept shouting at me and left the place after couple of minutes because I was not able to fully understand what he was saying and was not able to respond to his point.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 03:05   #39440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
if something like this happens, first - start shouting the other guy. That is how you should survive in Chennai.
I've had the same advice from a native-Chennai friend. Never mind who's fault it is, get out of the car shouting!

In this instance, the other guy didn't shout at all. In fact he was very quiet. In fact, afterwards, I wondered if he spoke English. To my shame, I do not speak Tamil. Anyway, I didn't at all concede any fault, and when he pointed to his bumper, I simply said that's his responsibility, not mine. Anyway, his wife seemed relieved that I didn't want to fight.

I guess there is more damage than I thought: there always is with bumpers! The gap is not even on that side now. It certainly seems to be still firmly attached. Service next month: I'll get it checked out then.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 13:57   #39441
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not wise enough to advise you yet but always take a picture of the other vehicle with its number plates and damages even if you agree to part your own ways.

It ensures the other party can't do a hit and run complaint on you. I once tried to make a two wheeler rider send a WhatsApp message to me that we had settled the issue ourselves and he refused to . Had to leave after taking more pictures of his two-wheeler and even a selfie.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 15th December 2023 at 13:58.
Yieldway17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 14:44   #39442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I'm not wise enough to advise you yet but always take a picture of the other vehicle ...

It ensures the other party can't do a hit and run complaint on you...
Very wise advice.

Thank you, I'll remember that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 21:50   #39443
BHPian

Man drives under the influence of alcohol. Didn't even know one tire had come off.

Last edited by corvus corax : 16th December 2023 at 21:52.
corvus corax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 12:03   #39444
BHPian

As per the description, the bike was seized and destroyed by the administration after finding the person doing illegal stunts on the public road in Qatar.

Video link:
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=7114361035296058

We have also seen so many growing number of riders/drivers on the roads posing threat to other road users. I guess such strict rules can only prevent them from attempting such acts on the public roads to some extent.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 12:22   #39445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
As per the description, the bike was seized

On that note, another ridiculous bike stunt, this time in India.
The guy is very very lucky to be alive.

https://x.com/rishibagree/status/173...867814570?s=20
som9729 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 13:46   #39446
BHPian

Sensitive Content Warning :

This happened in Bengaluru where a car(XUV700) ran over a child.

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-106057170

Before taking vehicles out of parking, its always better to check on all sides and under the car and also ensure the exit route is clear of any obstacles,kids etc.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 17th December 2023 at 14:12.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 14:10   #39447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
This happened in Bengaluru where a car(XUV700) ran over a child.

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-106057170

Before taking vehicles out of parking, its always better to check on all sides and under the car and also ensure the exit route is clear of any obstacles,kids etc.
Please place a Graphic Warning. It is heart wrenching.

I think, I have had enough of this non-sense. Just 20 minutes before, I was remembering the Hyderabad society incident while entering my basement parking. Carefully looking at the entrance of the parking ramp to see if a kid is hiding somewhere.

But, this incident is absolutely unacceptable from the parent's side. How can they leave a kid (actually two) at that location? Sometimes, it is better to spend sometime in a city with high crime rate. You just cannot leave your children like that, else they will be untraceable.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:34   #39448

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
After dropping my kids to school, was returning in my usual route and was behind a school bus. I was maintaining a safe distance from the school bus in front but as they say familiarity breeds contempt. I got slightly distracted watching something through the driver-side window for a second and the next thing I knew was my wife shouting at me to apply brakes. I saw that the bus had slowed down for a speed breaker which I had missed seeing. I applied brakes but the momentum of the car meant that it did hit the bumper of the bus. Result = the above damage to the car and the bus with a cracked bumper.
I have been moving in my Honda city for the last 8 years and it has happened to me 4 times
1. BMTC driver looking elsewhere banged from behind and I changed boot lid by insurance
2. Near toll a 4 wheeler mini truck tried to barge in from the front, led to replacement of front bumper by insurance
3. 3 adolescents on a 2 wheeler at least 15 years old, couldn't manage to apply brakes, resulting in front bumper replaced under insurance
4. A newbie lady reversing, hit the side of my car spoke in high funda English promising to pay for the costs and later blocked my number , I got the dent work done out of my pocket!!

In all these incidents I had to bear the costs without any apparent mistake of mine.
It is a great gesture to own up for one's mistake

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2023 at 23:00. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
innocity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:43   #39449

Heartbreaking incident, can't imagine what the parents and driver must be going through mentally and legally. There's so many things wrong that you can blame every single thing in the video.

What I am confused about is that it looks like a higher/top model XUV 700 with at least front sensors if not ADAS. Why did these driver aids not kick in and stop the vehicle. Did it not detect the child, if so then no way the driver could have seen her either. Also, how are the sensors used and calibrated if they can't detect an obstacle in front of the car?

I am willing to live with the annoyances of driver aids if they work but seems like they don't. Companies, especially Indian manufacturers should have special use cases for Indian conditions like the one in this video. And if these aids don't work, why are we made to shell out lacs of rupees for the same?

Last edited by graaja : 17th December 2023 at 17:12. Reason: Minor typo
unknowntrainer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:54   #39450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
On that note, another ridiculous bike stunt, this time in India.
The guy is very very lucky to be alive.
No, I am not a sadist, but I felt happy on seeing this biker getting well deserved punishment. What was he trying to prove doing this stunt near a truck. Happy that he lives another day to ride safe atleast now. Idiot
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks