Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2023, 11:42   #39301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The Ford Endeavour was carrying a Member of Parliament who had returned by air from Delhi. He was heading to Gadchiroli (home/office and constituency) with his staff on his Endeavour. On the outskirts of Nagpur city, yesterday at 10.20 am, a truck was taking a U turn and as per this report the Endeavour driver who was speeding, tried to overtake and outdo the truck driver with his manoeuvres. The Endeavour was caught in its driver's silly act, and it hit the truck. Airbags got deployed and its the Ford's solid build quality that saved its occupants, who headed to their destination in another vehicle.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20231105.jpeg

I wonder what the fate of these occupants would have been had their car/SUV been one of those with a questionable safety and a ductile body ? Yet another lesson learnt is that do not take a five star safety of your car/SUV as a licence for ramming into any other vehicle or a mighty 5-10 plus ton truck. Your car /SUV is just a pigmy weighing only 1000-2000 Kgs.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th November 2023 at 11:44.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 12:58   #39302
BHPian

This happened yesterday. As per news reports, one person died - apparently the driver suffered a seizure attack. As per the rumours I heard, the conductor rushed to apply the brakes and that stopped the bus finally.

News Link: DTC bus driver ‘suffers seizure’ and rams into vehicles in Delhi’s Rohini, 1 killed
N.A.GTC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 20:12   #39303
BHPian

During my recent trip to Goa - on my way back on the Anmod Ghat , I was overtaking the KSRTC bus, when some wise guy decided to chuck out a water bottle, The bottle landed bang on my windscreen at approximately the driver forehead region on the glass.
Luckily I did not twist the steering - usually as it might have happened as an involuntary reflex, no saying what could have happened as the newly laid - two lane cement road edge is steep at almost all through the Ghat!!
Name:  KSRTC_Bottle_throw.gif
Views: 975
Size:  855.8 KB

Also saw an I20 that had jumped into a ditch shortly after the Ramnagar toll booth at one of the numerous curves on this route, Women and kids from that car were safe and luckily no one was hurt, Thankfully, they also had another car in their group with friends/family.
Name:  Car_ditch.gif
Views: 977
Size:  3.89 MB
Sunil@KA25 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:45   #39304
BHPian

An APSRTC bus rammed into passengers waiting at Vijayawada bus station yesterday killing 3 people.

The root cause is not established yet with some reports putting the blame on driver negligence and some on the vehicle itself and lack of proper training to the driver. Apparently, the driver underwent training for 2 days and shadowed another driver for a day. He is new to driving buses with auto transmissions and slotted into Drive mode instead of reverse. Some reports mentioned that the bus which has already covered 10 lakh+ Kms apparently has a faulty accelerator pedal where the pedal sometimes gets stuck in position even when the foot is taken off the pedal which the previous drivers also apparently complained about.

At the end of the day, 3 lives were unfortunately lost.

Last edited by furyrider : 7th November 2023 at 14:46. Reason: Typo
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:07   #39305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
If the car had been equipped with Autonomous Emergency Breaking, the damage could've been much lesser. AEB must be mandatory across all vehicles more than the 6 air bag rule.
I was informed by my Kia dealer SA that AEB/Front collision avoidance does not function above 80 Km/Hr. That is the way it is designed.
GTX+ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:37   #39306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
An APSRTC bus rammed into passengers waiting at Vijayawada bus station yesterday killing 3 people.
Most unfortunate and terrifying !

Being a regular in between the route and someone who takes the RTC bus almost every week from the Vijayawada Busstand, it gives me chills to just imagine what it would have must been to the victims in their final seconds - Giant killing machine coming on towards them while they were peacefully resting in a safe place !

Looking at the video, I am more inclined to believe that faulty accelerator pedal may be the reason due to the fact that the bus moved for quite a bit ( and a seasoned driver would have immediately braked had he realized if it was in the Drive Gear) Hard to think he has panicked and allowed the bus to move , despite being new to Automatic transmission. I hope a neutral inquiry reveals the truth.

The glaring pathetic state of the Volvo and other premium buses is common not only in the RTCs but also the private bus operators.

I just took a TSRTC Electric Garuda ( A premium service) bus from Vijayawada couple of days back and the water was dripping from the luggage cabins above apparently due to the water leakage from the A.C. pipes. The staff said they reported it, but was not rectified. I have seen buses breakdown on the highways due to other reasons as well in recent times.
Old 7th November 2023, 16:09   #39307
BHPian

It's wishful thinking, but bollards at the end of the parking bay might be a solution.
rajivr1612 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 18:33   #39308
BHPian

https://punemirror.com/pune/others/p...1699435623.htm
An EV Scooter caught fire and luckily no one was hurt.
Old 8th November 2023, 19:14   #39309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Endeavour was caught in its driver's silly act, and it hit the truck.
Was the Lorry driver arrested for taking the legal U Turn?

Last edited by saisree : 8th November 2023 at 19:16.
Old 8th November 2023, 22:52   #39310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Was the Lorry driver arrested for taking the legal U Turn?
There was no followup, post the first media report.
Old 9th November 2023, 23:58   #39311
BHPian

This one is epic. It involves KTR.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 08:42   #39312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
This one is epic. It involves KTR.
Best example of what can happen to people standing out of sunroof on moving vehicles.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 09:24   #39313
BHPian

Three dead and several others injured as SUV rams into tollbooth in Mumbai Sealink

As per report, accident caused .

Quote:
Three people died after an SUV rammed five vehicles on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL) late on Thursday. According to police, an Innova driver who prima facie was fleeing in his vehicle after dashing a car, ended up hitting five other vehicles.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 10:15   #39314
BHPian

Happened a few days ago. The bus had stopped to pick up passengers. The black Creta attempts to move ahead and had honked several times to warn the bus driver. In spite of that, the bus driver started to drive off and rammed the Creta. As the Creta driver got out of the vehicle, the bus driver once again nudged the Creta and proceeded to yell abuses at the Creta driver. The police station is less than 100 meters from this spot, which clearly shows how little respect these guys have for the police. As the driver got back in the Creta and moved ahead, the bus drove off without a care in the world.

Had the bus run over the Creta driver, the cop standing nearby would merely have dialled the ambulance and walked the other way. Private buses are above the law here in KL.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20231106_102807.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20231106_102728.jpg

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 10th November 2023 at 10:16.
GeneralJazz is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 10:40   #39315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Came across this article where a Kia Seltos collided with cattle during late night hours on NH50 in Karnataka. Stray cattle wandering around the roads is a severe menace. The vehicle seems to have suffered heavy damage, but fortunately no loss of life of the passengers.

https://www.cartoq.com/kia-seltos-cr...night-driving/

https://Youtu.be/nHVuWv22OMc
He was doomed due to his speed.
In the video I can see that he had only 1 second (35m) to react since that seemed to be the throw of the headlight. Possibly it was on low beam?
On low beam he should have been at 40kph (ideally) and 55kph max speed

The perception-reaction time [time from detection to the instant brake is pressed] is ~ 1.5 seconds and then the car needs to come to a stop. At 100kph that would mean a distance of 35*1.5+ 40= 92meters.

Also possible that the video is low quality and his actual vision must have been more but not sure if it was 92m to justify the 100kph speed.

In this case it has nothing to do with cattle on the road. The buffalo/cow did not jump onto the road. It seemed to be standing there peacefully from a long time. It could have been an inanimate object like a boulder dropped by a passing truck. Had one of our usual trucks without rear lamps been standing on the road the Seltos driver would have had a rear underride situation and instant decapitation

To top it all for people who don't understand Hindi this so-called accident expert, Youtuber Prateek Singh says "it was impossible to have avoided this accident". What to say?

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 10th November 2023 at 10:50.
StopUnderrides is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks