Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 15:26   #39151
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hi all,
Today while surfing aimlessly, I just got this news or information. https://www.livemint.com/technology/...341049582.html

A guy is living today just because he decided to buy a Tesla. This is something nobody would have thought about.
So yes, a car buying decision can be a life and death matter sometimes.

Mods please merge this post to any more relevant thread if required.
Thanks
sudanmohit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 15:45   #39152
BHPian

Seven persons including two children die in accident near Tiruvannamalai

The accident occurred around 8.50 a.m and police said that Satish Kumar’s (who was driving the car) drowsiness might be the reason for the accident

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2006.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2007.jpeg

Source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...23100.ece/amp/

May the souls RIP.
Kashief is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 18:01   #39153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashief View Post
That is an XUV300. GNCAP doesn't test for truck underrides and its one of the most dangerous of the crashes and outcome is almost always against the car.

It's very essential for drivers to be wary of the risks and not to get carried away by star ratings alone.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 18:59   #39154
BHPian

When we are driving, even if we feel the slightest hint of drowsiness, we should be prepared to take a break and rest. This break can be taken at any location on the highway, be it near a restaurant, a toll plaza, or any random place.

In the case mentioned above, it appears that the car was being driven by a driver. When we hire a driver, it is essential to grant them full freedom to take a break and rest if they experience even a slight sense of drowsiness.

Even if the driver decides to take a 4-hour break when there is only 1 hour left to reach the destination, it is important not to criticize the driver but, instead, express gratitude. This approach will motivate the driver to prioritize your safety on the next journey.
antonylejos is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 23:19   #39155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

Another accident inside a housing society.
If one observes the video carefully, the SUV driver emerges out of a society lane onto a broader road that has quite a few pedestrians and one or two cars moving. This SUV driver takes a 'confident' right turn without reducing his speed and tries to go straight ahead.

This shows rashness on the SUV driver's part. Whenever we change over to a new road we need to reduce our speed and watch out the traffic conditions on this new road before moving ahead. If necessary, the horn can be blown. The broader road was busier than the lane from which the SUV emerged which shows that the SUV driver took it for granted that he will move on without any hindrance. And he met his nemesis.

Feel sorry for the lady who needed to have walked on the kerbside.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 09:58   #39156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
If one observes the video carefully, the SUV driver emerges out of a society lane onto a broader road that has quite a few pedestrians and one or two cars moving.

This shows rashness on the SUV driver's part. Whenever we change over to a new road we need to reduce our speed and watch out the traffic conditions on this new road before moving ahead. If necessary, the horn can be blown.

I do not think it is enough to just slow down and do a California stop; instead he should come to a complete stop look around and then make a move. Particularly since he was making a right turn which is often much more problematic than a left turn.

There are other aspects that come into play here. Pedestrians and small vehicles like cycles can often become invisible unless one actively looks for them:

1. Many modern cars have a big blind spot to the right of the driver due to the think A pillar and bigger ORVMs.

2. Even when the pedestrian is visible, since as a car driver we naturally attribute more danger to a bigger vehicle our mind often "unsees" something small in plain sight. It is well known that human mind often can only keep track of about 6 things and mind has to
naturally prioritize the things it wants to see based on threat perception.

3. Finally this is also the reason why one should take 90 deg turns (in stead of acute angle turns) whenever possible.

So a stop and go together with active pedestrian and cycle checks by moving around the head is the need of the day. A housing society is a place where pedestrians and kids on cycles are going to be very common.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 10:12   #39157
NSN

Quote:

The accident occurred around 8.50 a.m and police said that Satish Kumar’s (who was driving the car) drowsiness might be the reason for the accident

Attachment 2517524

Attachment 2517525

May the souls RIP.
The car had hit the left side of the truck, it means car has come full right on the road. Probably after overtaking didn't return to its lane
Old 16th October 2023, 11:34   #39158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitSen6333 View Post
The Endeavour is a 2021 registered so a relatively new vehicle damaged for no fault of the driver.
If you're speeding through an intersection in city limits, it's a fault. Simple as that. No few seconds/minutes knocked off by speeding through a traffic light (irrespective of colour) is worth the damage/loss of life if you end up in an unfortunate encounter like what happened here. If the Endeavour was slower, he would have noticed the bus speeding and would have had enough time to react.

Green only means you're good to cross, not race through. The only people who weren't at fault were the bikers on the other side.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 13:55   #39159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Hyundai Eon losses control in a curve and smashes boundary wall of an house.
Brilliantly parked but subject to material losses. Location :Malapuram,
Similar accident had happened with my father
's M800 (19 year old at the time).
My wife was practicing driving on it with me in passenger seat, when she reversed onto a wall by mistake (pressed accelerator instead of brake).
It knocked the wall down along with an iron gate attached to it, and the car climbed and got stuck on it.
The only damage was a big scratch on bumper and a broken taillight.

Interestingly, the wall belonged to the official residence of DM, and 4 guards scrambled there in no time wielding AK47.
Upon seeing our face they understood it was just a mistake - they just lifted the car by hand and walked it over to the road, and we were on our way

Cars were surely built mechanically stronger then.
electro-monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 15:59   #39160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The vehicle was carrying 6 adults and 2 children (at least one must've been on the front seat). There are only 5 seat-belts in an XUV300. An overloaded vehicle is a recipe for disaster in itself, drowsiness of the driver only aggravates it. I wish people take safety seriously - more than saving those few minutes by battling the body's urge to get some rest and the money needed to rent a bigger vehicle to accommodate everyone safely and comfortably.
Old 16th October 2023, 19:45   #39161
Senior - BHPian

For people taking swear of Toyota quality and justify high prices.
https://www.cartoq.com/mg-comet-ev-c...ult-video/amp/
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:21   #39162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Toyota quality does not imply its sheet metal can withstand crash related abuse. It implies that the sheet metal will stay without paint issues or rusting for a long time to come. That's different compared to someone like Tata providing thick sheet metal that stands impact but rusts in a while and paint quality is poor. Some of the panels in my Innova just have the rigidity of my ex SX4 while some parts are tough. Overall the panels arent as rigid as my Skoda. So dont use damage in an accident to define Toyota quality or pricing. They will just prove you wrong with another price hike and people still swearing by the brand. That Hycross would last longer than anything in the competition, if at all there is competition for it.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th October 2023 at 23:23.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:39   #39163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
What did I just see . I know crumple zones behave the way they do, but the damage caused by a small car like the Comet is absolutely unbelievable!

I’m in two minds about my booking looking at this Maruti Suzuki car, oops Toyota car…

I wish the BNCAP tests the Invicto/HyCross at the earliest.
Old 17th October 2023, 08:48   #39164
BHPian

I don’t know what to say any more. The violations of the law, the sheer indecency of it all. Using an ambulance with sirens blaring to transport doctors to a garba

https://x.com/mumbaikhabar9/status/1714012687682969847?
Mustang Sammy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 10:21   #39165

https://www.ndtv.com/cities/on-camer...dtv_topstories

Appalling to read this as I experience it every day, reducing tolerance at traffic signals. People are forcing others to move swiftly the moment the signals are about to turn green (not even after they turn green). Increasingly, the masses - Taxis, Autos, Tempos and trucks are demonstrating utter disregards to safety. What is more worse is that I have been noticing this with BMTC buses in Bangalore too! At this rate, we will only see more deaths and permanent disabilities. Our administrators must start fining people heavily and not build monstrous speed breakers to limit accidents! That is the only way, very hefty fines!
Surya_bh00 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks