Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 23:17   #39076
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I don’t think any car can survive such a horrific accident. While I feel sorry for the loss of lives, it is not always the build quality that determines the outcomes of the accident but several other factors.

What is to be blamed though is solely the Driver of the car. No NCAP Ratings or anything else can save you if you drive as a lunatic. What angers me is that he took the lives of many others with him. Clearly by looking at the pictures you can see it has suffered a major impact and mostly might be due to over-speeding and might car getting toppled after it.

Again I might be wrong as no CCTV footage is present.

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 27th September 2023 at 23:21. Reason: Typo
ex-innova-guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 08:58   #39077
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
I don’t think any car can survive such a horrific accident. While I feel sorry for the loss of lives, it is not always the build quality that determines the outcomes of the accident but several other factors.

What is to be blamed though is solely the Driver of the car. No NCAP Ratings or anything else can save you if you drive as a lunatic. What angers me is that he took the lives of many others with him. Clearly by looking at the pictures you can see it has suffered a major impact and mostly might be due to over-speeding and might car getting toppled after it.

Again I might be wrong as no CCTV footage is present.

We cannot go on discounting the build quality even if fault is with driver.
Safe cars do help people survive even high speed crashes and there are many examples of that.

However, not a single survivor shows that one who would care for his/her and loved ones lives won't buy a Kia.

Further although Seltos' GNCAP rating is 3, it was just able to enter the 3 range (practically rating is higher 2 level) with unstable shell.

You can even go ahead and check the difference between the SP2i platform of Seltos which is "specially" made for India (and some other countries).

It has less high strength steel as compared to SP2 (Seltos platform used in countries like US)- that is one major speciality of this light platform.

This platform is also the reason another Seltos car broke into 2 halves after an accident.

If platform is weak, naturally car would be unsafe and driving at high speed can lead to casualties in case of accidents.

Last edited by RDS : 28th September 2023 at 09:04. Reason: Grammatical correction
RDS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:11   #39078
BHPian

There are no details of the actual accident, still there is already blame going to driver, in defense of the build quality.

My opinion, in order to maintain the quality standards of posts - TBHP should ban such youtube videos which have no factual details but only generic commentary to grab eyeballs based on photographs available on social media.

Such videos do not bring any new information nor learnings, other than promoting biases and subsequent futile debates in absence of actual facts.
Acharya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:54   #39079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Kia Seltos - one of latest accidents. Kia proves it's poor build quality once again in one more accident.
All 5 dead..
What we see in the video are the remnants of the car after the people have been extricated from it. This would involve cutting/breaking/bending metal parts to dislodge them. Chances of it looking more gory is natural.

We have no information whether the people inside were wearing seatbelts or not. What we have in general are plain assumptions.

The blame usually rests with the driver. Also, some unforeseen circumstances, but rarely is a car to blame. The choice of car is a personal one. There are literally millions of cars running in the country that are tin cans, but don't get involved in accidents.

I'm an advocate for safe cars and for active safety features, but not everyone prefers a rear wash/wipe and defogger to a touchscreen or a sunroof. Can't blame them.

Last edited by discoverwild : 28th September 2023 at 10:04.
discoverwild is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:25   #39080
BHPian

While no one is advocating for people to drive over speed limits, it is simply a fact that when an accident does happen, there are better odds of you surviving in a car with a stronger structure, body shell and NCAP rating than one with a borderline 3 star rating and unstable body shell (Seltos scraped into 3-star territory by a margin of .03)

The argument of "they would not have survived in any car" is not the point - these incidents are mere reminders that we as buyers need to maximize odds of survival when such an accident does occur.
While things like defensive driving, road manners etc obviously play a part, keeping all such factors equal, if you had to simulate the same accident with two cars, you are simply more likely to survive in a car with higher structural integrity which the Koreans do not offer.

Until as a time they stop blatantly cost cutting on the bodyshell (SP2i vs SP2), the Koreans will remain a fancy, convenient ride to be used PURELY for city purposes. I would never personally ride or sit in a Korean car on the highways.

Last edited by SutilSapien : 28th September 2023 at 11:44.
SutilSapien is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:24   #39081
Senior - BHPian

Much has been said about the build quality of cars like Tata and Maruti, among others. Whenever a Tata collides with a common Maruti, or vice versa, it is always the Maruti that gets mangled up. I often wonder what happens when Tatas and Mahindras collide with pedestrians. Since these cars are well-built, won't they inflict more damage to a pedestrian than a Maruti would, considering they have tougher sheet metal?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th September 2023 at 15:25.
Old 28th September 2023, 16:33   #39082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
. Since these cars are well-built, won't they inflict more damage to a pedestrian than a Maruti would, considering they have tougher sheet metal?
All modern cars today have pedestrian safety measures, that's why the bumpers and fenders in new cars are FRP and are clipped on for the most part and not screwed to the frame.

The bonnets of the car has been raised further to reduce impact and chances of being thrown over the car or hit the windshield (pedestrian speeds).

It's the monocoque frame that is made of ultra high strength steel (excuse the terminology) and provide passenger safety. The body panels by themselves are meant to absorb and dissipate impact from the frame.

So unless it involves an incident at a higher speed,, the difference in impact on a pedestrian is negligible. However, the same cannot be said for the car with thinner panels or sub-par structures.
discoverwild is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 22:06   #39083
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutilSapien View Post
While no one is advocating for people to drive over speed limits, it is simply a fact that when an accident does happen, there are better odds of you surviving in a car with a stronger structure, body shell and NCAP rating than one with a borderline 3 star rating and unstable body shell (Seltos scraped into 3-star territory by a margin of .03)

The argument of "they would not have survived in any car" is not the point - these incidents are mere reminders that we as buyers need to maximize odds of survival when such an accident does occur.
While things like defensive driving, road manners etc obviously play a part, keeping all such factors equal, if you had to simulate the same accident with two cars, you are simply more likely to survive in a car with higher structural integrity which the Koreans do not offer.

Until as a time they stop blatantly cost cutting on the bodyshell (SP2i vs SP2), the Koreans will remain a fancy, convenient ride to be used PURELY for city purposes. I would never personally ride or sit in a Korean car on the highways.
Spot On - Life is relative, not absolute. Every decision matters when something like this happens.
And this mentality that this happened to the other and cannot happen to me must go!!

Absolute numbers can tell which vehicles are safer.

The accidents that will be captured in CCTVs would be much lesser than the number of accidents captured later in pics.

It makes complete sense to not judge the culprit but at least disclosing the facts (numbers later can be used to derive judgements) makes sense.

Hence even these news, videos and pictures can show a story on which company values customer's lives vs which company values sales more.

From my perspective, there must be a national public database showcasing these numbers including vehicles and lives lost, even if it is available to number crunching agencies only to make intelligent data for public to consume.

Let the truth be out and we will see some real action on manufacturer's part to save their brand and stop treating lives of Bhartiya people as third class citizens.
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 23:15   #39084
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is due to the crazy, long weekend trafic on highways leading out off big cities. It'd become frequent during such long weekends it seems and one has to be cautious about this one more aspect on roads.

3 killed as 8 cars collide on Bengaluru-Mysuru NH

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 17:00   #39085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
A love affair between a Hyundai, a Maruti and a Tata.
The stars shine. Even in our defence forces, stars are respected. The more, the greater the respect.

This was nothing lesser than self-defence for each of these cars.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 18:54   #39086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
So rather than lack of defensive driving, I think the Swift guy wanted to make it as difficult as possible for the Thar. In fact, the Swift's brake lights do not come on until the Thar (almost) hits the pick-up. With the Swift not slowing down, the Thar had nowhere to go.

The blame for the accident rests mainly with the Thar driver, as he was doing an illegal overtake. But the Swift driver is not an innocent party, in my view.
I actually support this conclusion. It is a common behaviour among idiots on our roads. A milder version of this is visible when you're going in the leftmost lane or in the middle lane, and there is a vehicle to the right of you. As long as you don't switch on your indicators, the idiot will keep following you in the parallel lane a few metres behind. The moment you turn on the right indicator to change lanes, suddenly he would have some sort of emergency to speed up to prevent you from changing lanes.

Absolute bell*nds.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 21:45   #39087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post

I purchased a Hyundai Verna recently. I was hopeful that Hyundai has taken measures to fix the safety aspect of their vehicles and would pass the crash tests soon
I am waiting for the GNCAP result to come out for booking a Verna.

A scoop is running in our own forum about a sighting of the crash-tested Verna
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-identify.html (Scoop! Looks like GNCAP has tested another Hyundai. Can you identify it?)
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:37   #39088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
[b], I would wait for the outcome of the FIR/ court case before arriving at any conclusion.
I wouldn't. Even if true, this would be shoved under the carpet. Long back in 2013/14 there was an incident involving an Aston Martin and some other vehicle.

The Maserati was rumoured to belong to one of the Ambani scions. Every single online article was scuttled in a couple of hours and no mention of any names in the print edition of newspapers.

We still belong to 2 countries, one for regular folks and the other for the rich and connected.

Thankfully, the net doesn't forget.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/naaznee...h=4323684212c1

This one too, even if the airbags were missing, would be chalked into driver error, physics, projectiles and probabilities.

Essentially anything but damage to the billionaire

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2023 at 05:05. Reason: Typos corrected
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 21:09   #39089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
Thankfully, the net doesnt forget.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/naaznee...h=4323684212c1

Quote:
... Meantime, the Audi owner has modified her initial statement and identified Joshi as the driver of the Aston Martin. She and the owner of the Hyundai car that was damaged in the accident, no longer have anything to complain about. On Christmas day they took delivery of a brand new Audi A6 and a Skoda Superb sedan respectively.
What can one do to maximise the chance of being in an accident with one of these these people?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th September 2023 at 21:11.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 00:06   #39090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What can one do to maximise the chance of being in an accident with one of these these people?
Go on night drives in specific localities and keep checking your ORVMs for fast approaching super cars
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks