Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 20:53   #31576
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is an important road rule called "Right of Way" which drivers around the world are aware but road users in our country are totally ignorant about.
Could not agree more. Yesterday, I was returning home via a narrow 2 lane highway, mind you, a highway. There was this bridge with an intersection before it. An e-rickshaw was idling lazily just before the bridge, probably looking for passengers, blocking my side of the road. I had to slow down and honk as the driver, hardly 18, was in no mood to move and there was on coming traffic from the other side as well. The e-rickshaw driver didn't move an inch despite seeing me behind and I came to a halt. I honked again and this time he lazily began to move and looked back swearing uncontrollably. He even signalled me to stop and engage in a duel . Luckily for him, I was with my parents who were screaming and begging me to leave. And I had to swallow all the poetry pouring in, muttered a few in my mind, and left .
Akash.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 23:42   #31577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The aftermath looks very scary for the car occupants. Could not understand how the left side took off and the car flipped?
The car seems to be one of the compact crossovers/high GC vehicles. Very High speeds and finally the wheels going over the bike seemed to have flipped it totally. I remember getting into a debate on high GC Tallboy type vehicles tripping over easily compared to low GC sedans. This is an example of the same.

Anyway from safe driving perspective going at 60-70kmph at night might have allowed the car to avoid tripping even if the idiot biker would have been dead anyway due to treating the highway like his living room. The second warning sign is that there is an intersection...any intersection in India especially at night time is a potential danger zone. I usually take my leg off the accelerator to reduce speeds even from the sedate night time speeds.
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:51   #31578
BHPian

Kia seltos and Tractor head on collision

From the pictures, looks like Seltos build quality is very good.

Honda CRV runs over a kid playing on road. As per the reports, the kid is alive and is out of the incident with few injuries. When the car is approaching the kid from a distance, kid stands up and moves his position too. I'm surprised why the driver of CRV couldn't notice the kid. The kid was there all time. Looks like may be the driver of CRV is distracted by his/her phone, may be texting.

Graphic video, viewers discretion advised

WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 10:23   #31579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I would stick my neck out and say it's completely the fault of Biker.
Auto driver on the other hand, put on his indicator, waited good 20 seconds for other vehicle to pass and turned only when he did not see anyone for 60-70 meters. Only mistake he did was not expecting a dare devil rider, on a suicide mission. My sympathies are with Auto driver.
I think the auto driver may not have been able to judge the speed of the biker correctly or may not have even seen him as he started to move. There is another two wheeler coming from the same side but at a much lower speed. With that assumption that the auto has enough time to cross over the lane, the auto driver would have probably started to look at the other side to account for the traffic coming in the lane that he was going to merge into. If a driver is the aberration (either driving too fast or too slow) in a group of moving traffic, I think a good part of the blame should go to that person in case of an accident because of that.

On many city roads, crossing the road either on foot or on a vehicle is always a dangerous one and many times a close shave with an accident. If one had to wait for a clear road, you may end up wiaitng for a really long time. I have witnessed at least a couple of accidents in such situations where there is one bike/car that is driving at a much higher speed than all the other vehicles and ended up crashing into a person or another vehicle crossing the road.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:34   #31580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Honda CRV runs over a kid playing on road. As per the reports, the kid is alive and is out of the incident with few injuries. When the car is approaching the kid from a distance, kid stands up and moves his position too. I'm surprised why the driver of CRV couldn't notice the kid. The kid was there all time. Looks like may be the driver of CRV is distracted by his/her phone, may be texting.

Graphic video, viewers discretion advised

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2pcpyAqD6-E
That looked nasty with the CRV hitting the child straight from the drivers line of sight and both the front and back wheels climbing over the child. 100% avoidable given that the kid was already there and had not rushed in from a bylane suddenly. Further with its all round view the CRV driver has zero excuses to claim his innocence. Its criminally sad that the idiot CRV driver did not even realise even after the right front wheel went over the poor kid. In any other developed nation such a gem of a driver would have had his license impounded and his life savings wiped out with a lawsuit and possible arrest that they will remember to the grave.
venbas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 15:42   #31581
BHPian

Quote:
Horrible beyond words. Hope the culprit is caught and his/her driving license confiscated for life.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:08   #31582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The CRV driver is well caught on the cam running over the little child. As bad luck would have it, the child is run over and mauled by the right hand side wheel of the CRV. The child was almost in a position, aligned to the front right wheel. Very, very luckily, the child is alive. Had the child been in a position between the two front wheels and hit, the injuries would have been on the lesser side.

And the crook of a CRV driver is fully liable for his criminal act and needs to be stringently punished. His mind was distracted, it is very evident. He could be on his mobile, or could have dozed off or even could have been drunk. Feel very, very sorry for the injured little one.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:25   #31583
Senior - BHPian

No blame on the parents for letting a young kid play on the street unattended?
deathwalkr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:27   #31584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
No blame on the parents for letting a young kid play on the street unattended?
Good point, but secondary. This is one of those videos where I took the discretion advice and didn't watch, so I can't comment on the accident but... the fact that the child is there, rightly or wrongly, does not excuse running them down. Not even by a percentage.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:07   #31585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good point, but secondary. This is one of those videos where I took the discretion advice and didn't watch, so I can't comment on the accident but... the fact that the child is there, rightly or wrongly, does not excuse running them down. Not even by a percentage.

I've given discretion note because there is a kid involved in the accident. There is no blood spill, or no gory scenes in the video as such. But it pained me on seeing the car run over by the stupid driver twice (front and back wheels). The driver might have thought it to be a speed breaker and did not stop, as speed breaker was also present right in front of the accident spot. I remember watching a similar video involving a female driver who was driving a Wagon R ran over a kid who was playing inside the apartment complex.

But CRV is a huge vehicle and might have internally injured the kid. Parents are also partly responsible but in no way they can keep a tab on kids at all times. When we were kids, we also used to play cricket on our colony roads, used to do cycling, fell down many times, got injured, recovered, repeated the whole thing again many times. We learnt from our mistakes and became better in whatever we did. There's no way parents can follow kids everywhere during their play time. It is hard to blame the kid or parents in this context because CRV driver had better visibility of the kid as he was there on that road even before he was approaching that point where he ran over. The driver was clearly distracted on mobile phone or might have been drunk.
Old 18th September 2020, 01:32   #31586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've given discretion note because there is a kid involved in the accident. There is no blood spill, or no gory scenes in the video as such. ... ...
Yes, thanks... I gathered that all was well, but somehow I have skipped most accident videos for past few days. I enjoy the ensuing debate, but might have to skip for a while.
Old 18th September 2020, 02:20   #31587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The fault entirely lies with the Skoda driver, one cannot justify his driving skills by saying that he prevented a catastrophic outcome. If he was a good driver, he wouldn't have been doing such insane speeds, going zig-zag on a highway with good traffic load.
This reminds me of something that my father, a fighter pilot keeps telling me.
"A good pilot isn't one that uses his skills to get out of shit but one who uses them to avoid shit altogether"

Pardon me for the words.
viXit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:26   #31588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
the fact that the child is there, rightly or wrongly, does not excuse running them down. Not even by a percentage.
Exactly, we can't run over people using the road. Here clearly it's fault of the driver and child was clearly on driver's line of sight. Most probably driver was distracted, possibly busy on phone?
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 22:00   #31589
BHPian

A swift ran over the lane separator boulders at the Airport Road toll in Bangalore. There is considerable damage to the car's front and had to be towed away to a safer place. No injuries reported.

With no proper visible signs, crossing this particular spot/lane has always been confusing to the users.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20200918_203035.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20200918_202954.jpg
AJ739 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 18:43   #31590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ739 View Post
A swift ran over the lane separator boulders at the Airport Road toll in Bangalore. There is considerable damage to the car's front and had to be towed away to a safer place. No injuries reported.

With no proper visible signs, crossing this particular spot/lane has always been confusing to the users.
Exactly, where a divider commences there should be good reflectors. The accident could have happened during the night time, when visibility is low and all cars on this highway tend to speed towards their destinations. From a look at the car it is apparent that the Swift was not speeding recklessly or else it would have been tossed up several times. Speeding within specified limits is not illegal, but the local municipal authorities (or does the PWD maintain this highway?) not affixing proper reflectors on stretches of such roads where there are likely to be mishaps is a violation of safety norms by them. The owner needs to rather sue the municipality/ or the agency that maintains this highway (could be the PWD) for damages the car has suffered and also for damages for causing agony avoidable and stress. Our laws are not so upto the mark to award outright damages, but the courts usually pull up the culprits and make them answerable. But these days some Judges go out of the way to levy damages depending upon the cases.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed