Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 13:30   #31441
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I think the under run bars in India are a sham, I have seen so many of them bent, half broken etc. Like how space shuttles have stage wise rockets for attaining height and velocity to exit the earth's gravitational pull, under-run bars could have stages to them too closely packed behind each other

First one --> Stops the first impact
Second one --> Comes in play if the first one has been pushed behind
Third one --> Comes in play when the 2nd one has been pushed.

Sure, this will increase weight and cost, but 100 kgs of less loading capacity on the truck can be adjusted for.

Secondly there should be a mechanism that should not allow the trucks to start unless the tail lights, signal lights, reverse lights everything is in working order, just like how it is for AMT cars in which without pressing the brake pedal, they won't start.

Lastly, I believe since we have moved to 4 laning of highways in many parts of the country, every highway should have lights to illuminate them. Yes India is a big country, but let no new roads be allowed to be build if they are not illuminated and begin the illumination work of the old ones.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 16:19   #31442
Distinguished - BHPian

Insofar as I've noticed, under-run bars seem to be lightweight section that don't look like they would stop much at all. Yes, looks like a sham.

Ramming proper bars is still going to wreck one's car. Just that there's less chance of it cutting our bodies in half. First priority is not to drive into the truck.

Sure, there are a number of ways in which the truck driver/owner can help us not to do so, like working lights, warning triangles, etc etc. I do agree that the trucking culture needs to change.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 23:32   #31443
BHPian

The first Skoda Octavia vRS245 accident in India

Looks like this is India's first Skoda Octavia vRS245 to meet with an accident!
Luckily, occupants of both cars were safe.
Video footage from the dash-cam of the car behind.

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st September 2020 at 19:23. Reason: Fixed font size
Joshua_Ray is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 00:59   #31444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Ray View Post

Looks like this is India's first Skoda Octavia vRS245 to meet with an accident!
Luckily, occupants of both cars were safe.
It deserves to be on the Bad drivers thread, we have to respect the limits of our Indian roads rather than the car's limits.
revvharder is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 01:34   #31445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
... we have to respect the limits of our Indian roads rather than the car's limits.
That is nothing to do with either: it was totally moronic driving.

Am I allowed to say What a jerk! ?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 01:43   #31446
BHPian

Quote:
That's just bad driving. Did he not check if there is a car shadowing the truck? I mean that's kind of the basic thing to do, isn't it? And also not to mention maybe a bit too much trust in the brake or was he/she expecting the truck and the car to make way for him for some reason only he/she thought was valid.

There seems to be already a few pissed people in the Youtube comments asking if the video was posted with the permission of the owner. Owner of which car is not been made clear but from the tone of the message I guess they meant the Black color VRS owner. For sure this video is not going to be helpful for his insurance claim.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 01:59   #31447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
That's just bad driving.
Rightly said. Nothing more than that.

Quote:
For sure this video is not going to be helpful for his insurance claim.
I sure hope that it find its way to the insurance company. We blame them for denying genuine cases. But we forget that there are many instances (like this one) in which the company have to shell out lakhs just because someone chose to be an idiot behind the wheel.

I'm just sad that at least a fraction of such limited production cars are ending up in the hands of complete morons. The RS accident at Trivandrum, the GTI flying off of Hyderabad flyover and the Mustang at Kollam immediately comes to mind. I know, there are people who get to enjoy these gems without annoying everyone else in the roads. But even a small fraction, like this driver, is enough to bring a bad name to the entire community.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 1st September 2020 at 02:00.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:50   #31448
BHPian

Quote:
Did anybody else notice? The 800 just simply stopped in the rightmost lane, inviting more such accidents to happen.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2020 at 19:33. Reason: Quote font fixed in line with edit to the original post
YD14 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 11:28   #31449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like this is India's first Skoda Octavia vRS245 to meet with an accident]
Well, judging by the dashcam footage, the camera car itself seems to be doing easy 160+ kmph. The vRS would have been doing 200+ kmph.

Even if you are driving a Octavia vRS, the brakes just don't stop a 200kmph moving car easily.

I am happy it was a maruti 800 and not a two wheeler.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2020 at 19:34. Reason: Quote font fixed in line with edit to the original post
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:08   #31450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Did anybody else notice? The 800 just simply stopped in the rightmost lane, inviting more such accidents to happen.
No, please watch the video again. The car did not stop, it was just going slow. May be on seeing from these faster cars dashcams, it might have appeared that the car stopped, but infact it looks like it's crawling at snail's pace. It should have been in the 2nd lane, leaving 1st lane to faster cars. May be it is in the 1st lane to overtake lorry infront.

Although Skoda VRS guy was driving recklessly in such insanely high speeds, and changing lanes, the way he tried to stop a catastrophe, and the way vehicle handled to brakes, and steering was impressive. Luckily he did not hit median or any part of lorry.

Looking at the impact, It appears to be a small bumper dent and headlight crack on skoda and a huge dent (rear bumper, 3rd quarter panel, boot, tail light assembly) on maruti 800.
Old 1st September 2020, 12:26   #31451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The fault entirely lies with the Skoda driver, one cannot justify his driving skills by saying that he prevented a catastrophic outcome. If he was a good driver, he wouldn't have been doing such insane speeds, going zig-zag on a highway with good traffic load. The M800 is neither moving at snail's pace nor it is deliberately occupying the fast lane. If you look closely, the M800 is overtaking a slow moving truck in the middle lane and it's speed appears to be good. The Skoda guy tried to squeeze himself into a non-existant gap between the M800 and truck. But due to its insane speed, the nut behind the wheel lost control. Thankfully, there was just a nudge on the M800. The Skoda also gets hit on it left rear panel also but there is no snap of it. With such a powerful machine at your hands, you have to be considerate of other road users. If you want to show your skills, or rather lack of it, please spend some money and go on a track. I'm glad that there was no significant damage to the M800 guy.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 1st September 2020 at 12:34.
BoneCollector is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:59   #31452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, judging by the dashcam footage, the camera car itself seems to be doing easy 160+ kmph. The vRS would have been doing 200+ kmph.
200 kmph? No sir. I do not think anyone would hit that given that there is visible traffic on the road.

The Skoda dimwit is cutting across from left most lane to the right most lane.Wow! What a display of moronic skills. At first I thought the truck hit it.

Reminds me of the phrase "he came he conquered he left".
Old 1st September 2020, 13:03   #31453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Am I allowed to say What a jerk! ?
Yup. You are spot on. It's a clear case of entitlement. I am driving a bigger, better, faster car so everyone should make way for me. He was clearly over speeding and believed truck will automatically apply brakes for him to pass through. Maruti 800 guy got his car damaged for no fault of his.

Last edited by harry10 : 1st September 2020 at 13:04.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 13:41   #31454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
No, please watch the video again. The car did not stop, it was just going slow.
The car was going slow before the incident. After the incident the 800 wasn't pulling up on the left. When the dashcam car had stopped the 800 didn't reappear in the video so I believe it stopped in the rightmost lane.
YD14 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:03   #31455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
...The Skoda guy tried to squeeze himself into a non-existant gap between the M800 and truck...
Maybe he is used to racing his Pulsar 220 against M800's and found the gap large enough to pass safely.

that... or he is a kiester.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed