Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2023, 11:45   #38941
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have heard people talking about driving between these two cities in 6-6.5 hours. Some bluster allowance has to be made, of course.
I have extensive first-hand experience only of the other routes radiating from Bangalore (Pune/Chennai x2/Mysore/Salem/Mangalore).
Oh yes. I used to be a regular Chennai-Bangalore commuter too. As regular as at least once every month. Though I did my driving in an old i10, I'm sure that nobody can complete the drive today in anything less than 6 hours - especially after 2020.

I have done the trip in 4.5 hours in 2017, but that was on a KPN bus where the driver was driving at an insane 150+ kmph at times and I vowed never to take a bus again. I was so afraid during those 4.5 hours to CMBT that I was cramping when I got down.

With the frequent diversions and the occasional nonexistent road sections, people are either lying or have been driving with suicidal thoughts if they say they reached within 6 hours.

I normally take more than 7 hours between Chennai and Bangalore, with at least 3 stops to rest / freshen up.
Small Bot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 14:04   #38942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I think Hyderabad-Banglore (where I did drive once) is about 500 kms, how easy is it to
maintain about 90 kmph on this highway (I am talking average not peak) ?
Quote:
I have heard people talking about driving between these two cities in 6-6.5 hours.
I do this route almost every month, and I drive a Thar D AT. It's about 570 KM (Banaswadi to Miyapur).

The roads between Devanahalli airport and Kurnool (340KM approx) are very good. Toll plaza are about 100 KM apart, not much traffic. A few speed breakers, that's all will slow you down. I do this stretch in about 4.5 hours. The remaining 230KM are a mixed bag. Traffic picks up, and I'll invariably take about 3.5 hours for this.

If I have a good sedan, I'll probably shave 30 min, an hour if I'm in a hurry. Anything more is asking for trouble.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th September 2023 at 18:52. Reason: Typo.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 17:01   #38943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
I'm sure that nobody can complete the drive today in anything less than 6 hours - especially after 2020.
The point I was trying to make is that, the advise "stick to lower speeds because driving faster wouldn't get you there any quicker" is certainly not true on these roads. People do experience substantial time savings on the newer roads around here.

(I myself have a 5.5 hour driving time run in last November - Marathahalli to Nungambakkam).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:16   #38944
BHPian

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that, the advise "stick to lower speeds because driving faster wouldn't get you there any quicker" is certainly not true on these roads. People do experience substantial time savings on the newer roads around here.

(I myself have a 5.5 hour driving time run in last November - Marathahalli to Nungambakkam).
Just to understand, google maps say that it is 340 kms and in 5.5 hours means 63-64 on an average. So it seems to support what I am saying averaging 90 something will require some insane driving.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:50   #38945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Just to understand, google maps say that it is 340 kms and in 5.5 hours means 63-64 on an average.
There is 30 km of Bangalore city at one end and 30 km of Chennai at the other. These two will account for a combined 2-2.5 hours depending on time of day and day of week. Generally people discount that because it is not really part of the highway run and completely unavoidable.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 08:29   #38946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Road rage or errors in judgements? Or both?

XUV700 driver says "me first", dashcam-car driver says "me first".

Could have been really worse than how it all actually ended in.
Could this be a Ford Ecosport?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230916-8.53.40-am.png
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 11:07   #38947

Quote:

Reminds me of my dad's words about a driver who used to drive our old Maruti 800. He was obsessed with being the fastest on the road never letting anyone overtake him. If someone does overtake him, he would get very agitated till he crosses him. Dad used to have a hard time to control his rage. It is something I remember to the very day if someone cuts across me on the road and gives them a wide breadth.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2023 at 23:00. Reason: Typo and spelling edited; quoted post trimmed
Srini1414 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 11:24   #38948
BHPian

Quote:

Somewhere, I wonder if SUV drivers also get a “licence to drive at will” when they buy their SUV’s. My daily commute consists of around 10 km on the Pune - Bangalore highway and I see this every day - vehicles tailgating at speeds in excess of 70-80 kph, cutting from the left most lane to the right most lane and vice-versa.

It takes a good amount of restraint to not react!

As far as this video goes, dash cam car should have just let it go.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2023 at 23:01. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
Old 17th September 2023, 11:37   #38949
BHPian

Quote:
After looking at the video few times, I believe the dashcam car was forced to move to the right lane because of the 2 wheeler in the left lane, while XUV also races on the right lane to overtake and both of them collide.
Madrasin_selvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 11:43   #38950
Distinguished - BHPian

A Kia Seltos reversing at 40kmph going by the meme:-

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20230917wa0151.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 12:35   #38951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Kia Seltos reversing at 40kmph going by the meme:-

Attachment 2504463
Who reverses a car at 40kmph??
Was the driver trying to escape a life threatening situation?
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 14:16   #38952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Who reverses a car at 40kmph??
Was the driver trying to escape a life threatening situation?
Oh, you’ve got plenty! The monkeys on YouTube now test a car for its top “reverse”speed - as if the top forward speed wasn’t enough.

three10 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 15:16   #38953
Distinguished - BHPian

"Is this what 40 kph can do to a Seltos?"

No. It's what a pole can do to a Seltos.

Most Team-BHPers know that poles and trees can be the worst thing for a car to hit.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 16:18   #38954
Distinguished - BHPian

A woman was riding pillion on a Honda Shine. Her "dupatta" that was dangling (usually so in India in many cases with sarees, dhotis, dupattas etc) got entangled on the alloy wheel. She was strangulated, seriously injured, hospitalised for six days and died yesterday as the newsreport says.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20230917.jpeg

Earlier, bikes' owner's manuals used to caution pillions and even the riders not to wear dresses that loosely fit and dangle while riding. Not sure about such cautionary notes in the newer bikes' manuals. But who cares? How many of the owners read the manual and abide by instructions provided for safe riding?

I had been witness to another such accident where the bike rider lost control after the woman's saree got entangled in the rear alloy wheel spokes. They had a fall, both sustained injuries, but were saved.

Alloy wheels on bikes, especially the rear wheels are dangerous if precautions are not adhered to.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th September 2023 at 16:22.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 16:43   #38955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
Oh, you’ve got plenty! The monkeys on YouTube now test a car for its top “reverse”speed - as if the top forward speed wasn’t enough.
Oh wow. This is the first time I came across such a video. Who is the audience here who is asking these so called reviewers for this information?
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks