Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 15:49   #38806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Scorpio N accidents on flyover.

World is really filled with insane people and concentration is much higher in India.
Small world KumarS

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5614339 (Need advice after Accident)

Can discuss over there
Old 30th August 2023, 16:31   #38807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Can discuss over there
Thanks for sharing the original post, small world indeed! I didn't realize the person involved was a BHPian.

I noticed there's already an active discussion on this event. Shared it here in this thread as it belongs here too.

One concerning thing for me as SN owner, aside from people's recklessness, is that the airbag didn't deploy in the front-end collision.
Old 30th August 2023, 22:33   #38808
Senior - BHPian

No dearth of accidents on the new Bangalore - Mysore highway. Seems like at least one accident happens on it every day. Saw this one soon after it happened. The driver had smashed his head on the bus rear overhang.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0673.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th August 2023 at 22:49.
Old 30th August 2023, 23:01   #38809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No dearth of accidents on the new Bangalore - Mysore highway. Seems like at least one accident happens on it every day.
Our drivers drive with too little of a buffer. Humans simply do not have this quick of a reaction time, to be able to handle simple things such as a slow moving vehicle. The US Federal safety guideline recommends looking ahead 15 seconds. On our Blr-Muysore highway when we ask people to be able to look 5 seconds ahead, we are ridiculed. People are making blind cuts across trucks and buses, with little clue about what is coming in the next 3 seconds at ~100kmph.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety/dri...e-surveillance

With such driving practices and super human expectations, it is a miracle how long some of these cab drivers have lasted. I mean, they can only have so many near miss incidents in a week.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 10:37   #38810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No dearth of accidents on the new Bangalore - Mysore highway. Seems like at least one accident happens on it every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Our drivers drive with too little of a buffer. On our Blr-Muysore highway when we ask people to be able to look 5 seconds ahead, we are ridiculed.
After having driven on many highways and expressways in Northern India, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu thought that I have seen all the craziness that we Indians have to offer.

However, traveled on BLR-Mysore expressway sometime back and found that lot of crazy stuff is yet to be explored. It was scary experience. Drivers here are making insane maneuvers at much higher speeds. The unmarked / improperly marked exits make the situation worse due to abrupt braking, reversing on main carriageway.

Also, I found out many drivers taking service lane to avoid the toll, yet trying to drive at expressway speeds.
AutoNoob is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 11:26   #38811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One concerning thing for me as SN owner, aside from people's recklessness, is that the airbag didn't deploy in the front-end collision.
I am not surprised. There is a thread posted by a Bhpian where his son driving his fully loaded XUV500 had an accident and none of the airbags deployed. I believe the issue is an ongoing one with Mahindra.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd September 2023 at 10:46. Reason: Minor punctuation error
Old 31st August 2023, 14:43   #38812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am not surprised there is a thread posted by a Bhpian where his son driving his fully loaded XUV500 had an accident and none of the airbags deployed. I believe the issue is an ongoing one with Mahindra.
With the Scorpio N accident, I am very surprised that the driver's rib cage made contact with the steering wheel. If he was wearing the seat belt, then the inertia reel should have prevented his chest from any forward movement.

I speak from personal experience. I had a high speed accident in a car which was not equipped with airbags, and no, my ribs did not contact the steering wheel.

Something very wrong with Mahindra's basic safety equipment. This definitely warrants a deeper investigation.
KiloAlpha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 16:10   #38813
BHPian

I am posting an incident which took place yesterday morning while I was on my way to work.

I had the right of way (green signal) on the arrow straight stretch of 80 feet main road in Indranagar and was driving at about 40kmph. Suddenly a biker tried to cut my path and cross the road.

I panic braked, still both vehicles collided with significant impact and the biker fell down.

The cop who was lurking in the shadows - immediately materialized and started blaming me for various things including, speeding, jumping signal, rash driving etc. Biker, who luckily wasnt injured similarly started his tirade and demand for compensation. Cop wanted my licence and keys.

However upon realising that the entire event was caught on camera, both the cop and the biker didnt seem too keen to press forward with their agendas.

Both vehicles were damaged - but driveable and I shook hands with the biker, advised him to follow traffic rules and left.

Attaching some screenshots from my Dashcam video.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230902-152836.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230902-152930.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230902-153017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230902-153358.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230902-153505.jpg

Rajeev1 is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 17:34   #38814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
I am posting an incident which took place yesterday morning while I was on my way to work.

I had the right of way (green signal) on the arrow straight stretch of 80 feet main road in Indranagar and was driving at about 40kmph. Suddenly a biker tried to cut my path and cross the road.
Read your post and also viewed the images and video. All OK, agreed with your contentions. As a caution, you needed to have slowed down from 40 kmph to a lower speed at the crossroad from where this biker made an unexpected entry. As I always mention this is India. You can expect stray animals, moron pedestrians and cyclists, moron bikers and other moron motorists from anywhere anytime whenever there is an opportunity for these sets of animals or moron humans to butt in.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (114) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 19:52   #38815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
With the Scorpio N accident, I am very surprised that the driver's rib cage made contact with the steering wheel. If he was wearing the seat belt, then the inertia reel should have prevented his chest from any forward movement.

Something very wrong with Mahindra's basic safety equipment. This definitely warrants a deeper investigation.
Well now you mention it, I went ahead and checked the GNCAP tests for Scorpion and Virtus. I'm not sure if I'm imagining a bit extra forward movement in Scorpio compared to Virtus.

ScropioN -

Virtus -
  • Could this be attributed to high seating position and BoF construction?
  • Do we have any other BoF car tested in GNCAP to compare this with?
  • Which car you were driving when you met with the accident?
prajwalmr62 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 08:34   #38816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
Hi man, unfortunately, I am not allowed to do that by the Swaraj Mazda driver and the Compass owner as they think that it will invade their privacy.
Privacy- legally there is nothing private about an incident that happens in a public place. You can even record police officers when they are doing (or mostly not doing) their job
StopUnderrides is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:04   #38817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to see such a lovely and rare car (these days) getting lacerated. While you did nothing wrong and were at 40kmph as per your post, try to make it a habit that a traffic signal should not be crossed above a speed of 20-25kmph if there is an obstruction in the full view of the intersection (auto in your case on the right).

India is and shall always be full of idiots on the road, regardless of how much we progress. The other day, I had to enter a main road from a smaller road at a T-point. I was waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear at a T-point in order to enter the main road and turn right after crossing the median. I was at the front of the pack and had left no space for any car to come ahead of me. A moron biker came and parked in front of me. As I was focused on the right and saw an opening, I released the clutch slightly and touched the bumper with his exhaust. The biker continued driving and I got parallel to him and politely told him not to do this as a driver is always focused on their right while entering a main road. He was quick to say ”Nothing has happened so you go your way and dont teach me”. I hope he never tries this in front of a truck or a bus.
PaddleShifter is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:27   #38818

Another killer weekend in Goa! Tata Nexon EV hit a tree at high speed resulting in 3 deaths and two critical injuries. Total 5 people were on board. Note how there is zero damage to the front of the car suggesting that the car hit the tree on driver's side.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230903-8.41.36-am-1.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230903-8.41.34-am.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230903-8.41.36-am-4.jpeg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th September 2023 at 09:05. Reason: Removing a pic due to sensitivity
akshaylad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:34   #38819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Suddenly a biker tried to cut my path and cross the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...to a lower speed at the crossroad from where this biker made an unexpected entry.
If you notice there is one more biker who escaped his 5 minutes of Dashcam fame and made a earlier exit. That could have been a motivation to slow down a little bit because there was a blind spot behind the auto rickshaw.

PS - This slowing down while crossing a green is purely intended for roads like India only. If you slow down on green in western roads then be ready for an earful or a worst eye balling or a honk!
svsantosh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 22:21   #38820
Senior - BHPian

Saw a post accident scene near Raison Toll, on the Kullu Manali Road this afternoon, hope that the occupants are safe.

Won't comment on build quality or anything. I have no clue if there were any casualties or just injuries. We just crossed the accident spot, so the video covers that only, and my family's reactions to the gory scene.
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks