Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2023, 15:41   #38881
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yesterday evening while returning to home from office my car met with a minor accident. Has I not been alert, the accident could have been bigger and there would have been more damage to my car.

I was on the right lane and a S-Presso was on the left lane while approaching a crossing sans traffic signal. There was one Baleno on the right lane of the crossing almost stand still. As we both S-Presso and myself almost passed the intersection, the Baleno picked up some speed and started turning right towards me without thinking that I had almost crossed the intersection and there was no chance of him to come out ahead of me.

I was alert and instantly knew that the Baleno will hit my car. I had no option to change lanes as S-Presso was on the left lane therefore, at that moment the best option for me was to pick up more speed to avoid a collision on to the right side of my car. But it seems that the guy at the wheel on Baleno was a dud with no concept who should have applied brakes/slowed down instead of picking up speed while taking a turn.

Unfortunately, in spite of my best efforts the Baleno hit the rear left fender and bumper of my car. I immediately slowed down and stopped my car. When I confronted the guy in Baleno a young boy he was unapologetic and insteaded blamed me by saying that I had hit him. I told him that it is the fault of the car who hits the other car in front but he was not accepting his fault.

There were some persons including ladies who came out and started apologising but this guy was adamant that he was not at fault. I nearly lost my temper but kept cool and took photos of his number plate and him. A traffic police Sergeant passing by stopped who was briefed my me about the accident and he asked me if I wanted to file a case or let it go to which I said that I will let it go if only that guy says sorry since the damage was not a major one (photo posted). Seeing a Policeman this guy changed and said sorry to which I requested the Sergeant to let him go.

I am still slightly perturbed by this incident of the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg  

Toni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 17:25   #38882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Yesterday evening while returning to home from office my car met with a minor accident. Has I not been alert, the accident could have been bigger and there would have been more damage to my car.
As far as accidents and damages go, you're right in that what happened to you was relatively very minor. And by your own account, I'm not sure if there was anything you could have done to avoid it.

Chill out, claim insurance, get that panel replaced, get a new hub cap and move on. That's what we pay those huge premiums for every year. Hopefully the other person will be wiser for this as well.

Off-topic, that's a nice shade of blue on your car. Is that an Eon or a previous gen i10?
Old 9th September 2023, 21:45   #38883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Another accident with truck parked on highway, Car driver speeding and not paying attention resulting in 6 lives lost.
I don’t want to get into the debate if truck driver is right or wrong, but the underlying statement is if you drive the car you need to be prepared for all failure modes. Especially in countries like India where we will encounter idiots day in and day out, so it’s the responsibility of driver to drive carefully and be alert to tackle, but at times even if you are alert things may not go your way but many a times it works. On that note, Omni driver is at fault and paid a huge price, he has no business to drive the car in that lane, even if that lane had been free. PERIOD
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 00:15   #38884
BHPian

Saw this clip on Reddit

Apparently the driver escaped only with minor injuries
Was driving a Kwid

I am surprised though looking at the video
Old 10th September 2023, 11:51   #38885
Distinguished - BHPian

Just viewed this video on the India Today link. The poor lady perhaps unmindful of the approaching, oncoming car tried to cross over to the right side. The speeding car a Maruti Ritz, hit her scooter and fled the scene. The scooter as reported broke into pieces. Luckily the woman rider has survived with serious injuries.

This happened at Faridabad, Haryana, perhaps last night.

Caught on camera: Scooter breaks into pieces as car rams it, woman rider injured.

http://dhunt.in/PaVhN?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "India Today" via Dailyhunt

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th September 2023 at 12:08.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:00   #38886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Just viewed this video on the India Today link. The poor lady perhaps unmindful of the approaching, oncoming car tried to cross over to the right side. The speeding car hit her scooter and fled the scene. The scooter as reported broke into pieces. Luckily the woman rider has survived with serious injuries.
As always, a completely preventable tragedy.
1. The lady enters the junction blissfully unaware of oncoming traffic
2. She took a shortcut around the barrier
3. The car seems to be going too fast for traffic conditions in that area, including being able to respond to random vehicular movement.

IMHO the primary responsibility lies with the two wheeler driver, followed by the car driver not being cognizant of DWII (Driving While In India) conditions.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:36   #38887
BHPian

Quote:
Just viewed this video on the India Today link. The poor lady perhaps unmindful of the approaching, oncoming car tried to cross over to the right side. The speeding car a Maruti Ritz, hit her scooter and fled the scene. The scooter as reported broke into pieces. Luckily the woman rider has survived with serious injuries.
I'm more worried about how people injured in accidents are handled by the onlookers. Though their intentions are good, it hurts me to look at the way they carried the lady, lifting her by her limbs.

I'm no expert here, but I'm sure many doctors on this forum have explained the best course to be followed in such incidents.

@Mods: could we please have a dedicated thread on handling the accident victims on our roads so that it's accessible to all quickly and easily?
I'm asking for a "thread starter" under Road Safety like we have on road rage, handling tyre bursts, driving in rains etc.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 14:40   #38888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This happened at Faridabad, Haryana, perhaps last night.

Caught on camera: Scooter breaks into pieces as car rams it, woman rider injured.

http://dhunt.in/PaVhN?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "India Today" via Dailyhunt
Minor correction- the place where it happened is Fatehabad and not Faridabad as per the article itself.
Old 10th September 2023, 16:27   #38889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
3. The car seems to be going too fast for traffic conditions in that area, including being able to respond to random vehicular movement.

IMHO the primary responsibility lies with the two wheeler driver, followed by the car driver not being cognizant of DWII (Driving While In India) conditions.
I really don't think that the car was speeding. Looks pretty regular pace like other vehicles including the scooter. What could the poor fellow have done if someone just banged into his car coming out of the blue.

If there is anyone to blame here then that's our system that gives licence to anybody who can move and steer a vehicle.

Hope the lady recovers and has learnt a lesson hard way.
Rodie09 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 16:47   #38890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In Britain, it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway except in emergency.
I guess it’s the same in the US. Once, I had pulled over on to the shoulder to make a call as I was lost on the address. Soon a state trooper pulled up behind me. After checking my papers he said I wasn’t supposed to stop on the shoulders unless it was an emergency or the cop pulls you over. I apologised and he asked me to take an exit and pull up to a gas station or parking lot to make the call.

But again this is India. People simply stop in the middle of the highway let alone the shoulder or drive on the wrong side in the fast lane in highways with no respect for the safety of other users. In that perspective I think this lorry driver is innocent

Last edited by SR-71 : 10th September 2023 at 16:50.
Old 10th September 2023, 16:48   #38891
BHPian

Quote:
She probably was blinded by the car turning right just before the car that she crashed into. Both the car turning right and the scooter turning into the opposite right took opposing shortcuts rather than going around the barrier (intended to be a go around?).
Old 10th September 2023, 18:04   #38892
BHPian

Quote:
Totally in agreement.
Most people in Suburbs today have become immune to traffic rules. No one wants to abide by even the basic traffic regulations.
Young kids aged about 11-12 years riding with two pillions is commons where I stay. Wonder why parents let it happen, are they really prepared for the possible tragic outcomes?

Education and Strict enforcement is the need of the hour. ‘Nip it in the bud’ The future generations will emulate what they see.
Old 10th September 2023, 19:43   #38893
BHPian

Quote:

The car driver was not being a defensive driver like 90% of the others, and should be considerably slower at junctions for sure, but what the heck was the lady trying to do? At least stop at the barrier and look around before crossing, and that too she had to cut into the oncoming traffic head on! Thank goodness it was just a car and not a truck, she's at least survived with injuries.
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 22:34   #38894
BHPian

Car crushed between truck, bus on Mangaluru highway. Link to news article here.
Old 10th September 2023, 23:51   #38895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
Car crushed between truck, bus on Mangaluru highway. Link to news article here.
There's more to it than what the headlines mention.
Watch the video carefully and you'll know what happened:
1. The traffic seems to be moving slowly in front of the truck.
2. Truck hits a stationary car just ahead of it (maybe a distracted driver?)
3. Truck comes to a standstill. The "unfortunate car", which is behind the truck, slams the brake. One can easily see how hard the car was stopped by its driver.
4. The bus following this "unfortunate car" unfortunately couldn't stop the bus in time (maybe another distracted driver??)
5. The "unfortunate car" is sandwiched between the truck and the bus
6. The truck, on impact, moves forward a bit and again hits the car in front of it.

As we know that in an event of rear-ending, the vehicle at the back is usually at the fault. Thus, both the truck driver and the bus driver seem to be at fault here.

The "unfortunate car" driver was surely an alert person, however, ended up being the only victim.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 10th September 2023 at 23:53. Reason: Typo correction
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks