Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 20:57   #38971
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Overtaking in a curve! Rashly driven Thar collides with pickup in Kerala.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vt9mAB19KPI (watch from 0:12)

Can't help thinking that a bit of defensive driving by the Swift driver could have avoided him getting involved in the accident.
100% of the fault lies with the Thar driver, Never ever overtake if the view is restricted, over taking on speed breakers is another menace.
Thar is a powerful car, can wait and overtake in a straight line, just because you're powerful doesn't mean that you've the right of way, swift had the right to corss the corner first not Thar.
tiagoatrix is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:23   #38972
BHPian

Quote:
Overtaking in a curve! Rashly driven Thar collides with pickup in Kerala.
It is seriously time for our RTOs to strengthen the process of issuing license. There is a solid white line, which by rule means no crossing and no overtaking. But the Thar driver probably oblivious to all this, wanted to show who is the boss of the road. He should be made to fully pay for the damages to the Bolero and also cover his daily earnings till everything is back on track. Bolero looks totalled!
Raghuwire is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:38   #38973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I do not agree with your analysis, of the need for Thar to go faster.
What I meant is that in this particular instance, in hindsight, given that the Thar was still going faster than the Swift despite braking, he would probably have made it past the Swift and avoided the pick-up, if he didn't brake or had gone faster. I am not advocating overtaking on blind curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
It's just one lane, with an oncoming pickup, on a blind curve on wet roads. Not sure what active contribution you see from the swift driver. He has the right of way, he is in his lane, making his turn.
Not disputing the Swift's right of way. But if one gets into the same situation as the Swift, I would guess any driver's instinct would be to brake and/or steer away. At least to save oneself, if not to facilitate an illegal overtake. The Swift driver did not even make an effort to do either until it was too late, and that makes him a contributor to the accident in my view. I am assuming that his actions were deliberate, because it is one of those situations where ego can cloud judgement. You can of course disagree, and I respect that.
StarrySky is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:38   #38974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
It is seriously time for our RTOs to strengthen the process of issuing license. There is a solid white line, which by rule means no crossing and no overtaking. But the Thar driver probably oblivious to all this, wanted to show who is the boss of the road. He should be made to fully pay for the damages to the Bolero and also cover his daily earnings till everything is back on track. Bolero looks totalled!
I agree. Mr. Gadkari should focus on making the process to get the license as stringent as possible. Getting a DL should be an earned privilege and not a 'I deserve a DL' .
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 22:29   #38975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Not disputing the Swift's right of way. But if one gets into the same situation as the Swift, I would guess any driver's instinct would be to brake and/or steer away. At least to save oneself, if not to facilitate an illegal overtake. The Swift driver did not even make an effort to do either until it was too late, and that makes him a contributor to the accident in my view. I am assuming that his actions were deliberate, because it is one of those situations where ego can cloud judgement. You can of course disagree, and I respect that.
I don't think Swift driver would have been expecting a moron attempting an overtake at a curve, specially with a pick up coming.
His full attention must have been on making the curve and ensuring that he remains in his lane to make space for the pick up. This can be seen because he didn't react till the collision.
Even if the Thar would have gone faster and somehow managed to overtake, as you have suggested, there was no way in the world he could have completed the sharp turn on the wet road without oversteering and colliding with people/cars on the roadside.
100% fault with the Thar and as someone has suggested he should be made to pay for the damages to Swift and pick up, as well as the pickup guy's loss of livelihood.
Candy$Cars is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 23:12   #38976
Distinguished - BHPian

Hard to blame the poor Swift driver there, who has ended up with a damaged car through no fault of his own.

The Thar driver is a reckless dangerous lunatic.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 00:13   #38977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I don't think Swift driver would have been expecting a moron attempting an overtake at a curve, specially with a pick up coming.
His full attention must have been on making the curve and ensuring that he remains in his lane to make space for the pick up. This can be seen because he didn't react till the collision.
Given that the road turns right, and the big red Thar was also on the right even slightly ahead, I somehow find it hard to imagine that the Swift driver did not spot the Thar until he finally stepped on the brake.

But of course, I have the luxury of watching the video in slow motion and commenting on it, while the Swift driver had a couple of seconds to react. I suspect also that the video is slightly speeded up - the scooter that is seen earlier and the pickup also seem to be quite going quite fast.

I agree that the Thar driver's mistake/arrogance is the root cause of the accident.
Old 19th September 2023, 00:21   #38978
BHPian

Quote:
But if one gets into the same situation as the Swift, I would guess any driver's instinct would be to brake and/or steer away. At least to save oneself...
This is one part where I agree. Swift driver has enough time to break/steer away too save himself. He should have easily noticed both the Bolero and the Thar, and the imminent collision.

It seems either he was distracted or he did notice the two cars, but was excited so much to see the outcome that he himself got involved.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 02:28   #38979
Senior - BHPian

If it was raining it is quite likely that the Swift’s ORVMs would not be as clear as ideally possible also from a quick glance at the video it seems like the Swift covers the same stretch of road in the same time as it takes the scooter ahead of him to do so; which would mean that the Swift was travelling fairly slowly. Therefore I don’t think it is right for us to even partially blame the Swift here.

At the end of the day we are a rare breed because how often do you see members of the general public in India, even check their rear view mirrors before a lance change (nevermind when they aren’t even changing lanes)? Just few pages ago the XUV700 gave evidence of not checking his ORVMs so assuming that the Swift could have avoided this collision is quite a stretch for me to imagine as it seems like the Swift could have just been driven by the average Indian driver with no special skills, reflexes or situational awareness that members on our forum might posses
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 05:03   #38980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why would you accelerate hard whilst on a roundabout? I wasn't there, you might have good reason.
Out of habit. When I say 'hard", I don't mean that I redline the car. Its a pretty large roundabout with an "S" sort of exit. I go in turning right and exit left on a curve. Nice feeling of the car lean from side to side when you go hard on the gas pedal. Its usually at <50kmph speed.

Its instances like this that have made me think twice over what I do going forward. It may not be a case of a angry or an ego centric driver. Misjudgment of the driver waiting for you is enough to cause a crash, add discomfort for your co-passengers.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:15   #38981
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Swift driver actively contributed to the accident.
Quote:
But the Swift driver is not an innocent party, in my view.
I’m shocked you call the swift driver “not an innocent party” in this accident. This is the problem here in India. In addition to meeting with an accident and not doing anything wrong we are “actively” blamed for the accident because we just happened to be following all the rules. I’m just plain outraged that some one can blame the swift driver who was minding his own business in his lane within the speed limit can be called out as being “not an innocent party” and “actively contributed” to the accident.
true_sedan is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:23   #38982
BHPian

No one is talking technicalities and law here,
when you have continuous white line in middle of the road "You are not supposed to do any overtake, Only maintain current lane"
Going by rules and law Thar is clear culprit.

Last edited by pravint : 19th September 2023 at 10:25. Reason: grammer
pravint is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:29   #38983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
I’m just plain outraged that some one can blame the swift driver who was minding his own business in his lane within the speed limit can be called out as being "not an innocent party" and "actively contributed" to the accident.
Actually, I sort of agree with @StarrySky's opinion (only disagree with the word "active"). The Swift driver might have missed doing something - slowing down - that could have prevented the accident from happening (even though it is possible that the Thar would have then gone ahead and crashed into the house at the corner).

It is not sufficient to be simply law abiding oneself; one has to be prepared to bend over backwards so that if it is within one's control, one saves even the most reckless driver from causing an accident.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:32   #38984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't help thinking that a bit of defensive driving by the Swift driver could have avoided him getting involved in the accident.
Quote:
But the Swift driver is not an innocent party, in my view.
Thar driver's fault 100%. I don't see any fault with the Swift's driver.
Was he in his lane ? Yes
Did he attempt to block Thar/oncoming Bolero? NO

There is simply nothing else he could do. If mor**s like the Thar driver drive as to having the right of way, they will end up with such fates. Feel sad for the Bolero driver, as his life would be affected a lot due to this. Unfortunately even the Swift too seems to have taken a few bruises.

Last edited by 07CR : 19th September 2023 at 10:33.
07CR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:43   #38985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

It is not sufficient to be simply law abiding oneself; one has to be prepared to bend over backwards so that if it is within one's control, one saves even the most reckless driver from causing an accident.
While it appears that the Swift guy is doing the correct things [by law], he had the opportunity to do the RIGHT things too - Slow down, move a bit left and let the moron pass and meet his own fate. Now, he joined the party.
FORTified is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks