Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2023, 07:30   #39091
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

People blindly blaming Mahindra must also consider that there IS certain credence to the fact that Airbags shouldn't deploy unless necessary. An airbag bursting open onto ones face is no less than a punch in itself and an unnecessary deployment may cause serious injuries of its own.

Even side airbags are not a do-it-all Surakha Kavach that would not let the occupants die no matter what. In case of a roll-over, airbags can do little to nothing if the structure crumbles under pressure.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 1st October 2023 at 07:31.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 08:53   #39092
BHPian

Accident that happened in Chandigarh couple of weeks back. The Dentist involved in the accident passed away after 19 days struggling for life.

The auto driver initially was released on bail but after the death of the dentist charges of murder also added to the FIR.

https://twitter.com/Gagan4344/status...45221613674504

How do you think the Auto Driver should be charged ? To me it is plain murder.

Last edited by sunbaj : 1st October 2023 at 09:00.
sunbaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 09:26   #39093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What can one do to maximise the chance of being in an accident with one of these these people?
While the proposition of "upgrading" to a fancy car is lucrative indeed, in the event of loss of life, it will be claimed that no such incident happened or that it was a driverless car that lost a few marbles and rammed into you. So, there's that.

Has happened in this country before where a few unfortunate people sleeping on the footpath were run over by a driverless car of a celebrity.

We are a country of miracles.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 16:01   #39094
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm fond of my car, ageing (like me) though it is. I don't plan to put myself in the way of any accident, their or my fault, rich or poor driver.

I'm sure the ethical and legal ins and outs of the incident could be discussed for a long time, and there would be many bad points. I do note that, in this case, reparations were made. Negative point may abound, but this is a positive point. Even though I made a joke of it, I do appreciate that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 17:25   #39095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Accident that happened in Chandigarh couple of weeks back.
https://twitter.com/Gagan4344/status...45221613674504
The incident reminds me of the Worli accident, where a jogger lost her life.

This is plain murder and must be dealt accordingly.

The track appeared to be a cycling track and infrastructure and it's absence thereof cannot be blamed. Its a murder.

Another accident in Maharashtra. Graphic content warning.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 1st October 2023 at 17:50.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 19:02   #39096
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
What can one do to maximise the chance of being in an accident with one of these these people?
In case you are still interested

This is closer home in Chennai a day ago. Not upto the level of Mota Bhai but expect similar closure

Tamil news video

thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 04:31   #39097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
This is closer home in Chennai a day ago...
Yep. I guess I saw it in the newspaper. Or read it here? I don't watch tv but had heard of the incident.
Old 2nd October 2023, 05:00   #39098
BHPian

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kerala/comm..._in/?rdt=41247

2 young doctors passed away in the accident. Another news article says there were 5 occupants in the car, coming back after the birthday celebration of one of the men who died. They were following Google maps and took a wrong turn, went at a good speed and directly entered water. The occupants managed to open the doors and get out but two of them couldn’t be saved. The incident apparently happened past midnight.
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:03   #39099
BHPian

Quote:
You’ll have to time it well to maximize the utility of your existing vehicle
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:42   #39100
HTC
BANNED

Kannada movie actor arrested for negligent driving resulting in accident causing one person's death and one more is hospitalized due to injuries.

This happened in Bengaluru near kanakapura road.

News clip here
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:51   #39101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
This is closer home in Chennai a day ago.
Quote:
Yep. I guess I saw it in the newspaper.
I meant to add that this was a serious accident, with people badly injured. This would have been the article I read.
Quote:
... On Thursday midnight, he was driving his BMW towards Greams Road. Before climbing the Gemini bridge, Yogesh lost control of the vehicle hit a man riding a cycle and rammed into two more persons standing on the roadside. The car came to a halt after hitting the pavement,” said a traffic police officer.
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:41   #39102
BHPian

I don't know why people drive fast in congested cities like ours. Leaving a few families bereaving and spending your time behind the bars is not exciting.

Come to Hyderabad. We have ORR, where driving at 120 km/hr for the full day is possible and legal.
Believe me, you will start doing lesser speeds after a few days, either due to boredom or due to surging fuel bills!

Graphic content warning:
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:55   #39103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Today morning I am reading this unfortunate news report that two young lives were lost in Kerala yesterday because their GPS (doesn't say which one) directed them to a river which they assumed was was an water-logged street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
2 young doctors passed away in the accident. Another news article says there were 5 occupants in the car, coming back after the birthday celebration of one of the men who died. They were following Google maps and took a wrong turn,
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...0.cms?from=mdr

Regarding the sad incident where two young doctors lost their life in Kerala, many reports quotes that the gmap directed them on to a wrong direction which turned out to be a water body.

But it looks to be not exactly the case if you look at the maps and geography. The accident spot is a proper river and there is no reason that gmap would put someone over it. In first place, gmap would route through the NH66 for a trip from Kochi to Kodungaloor, which is what the group was doing. So either they by mistakenly took the right instead of the sharp left or there is some unknown reason that they took that route. And probably after realising that they took the wrong turn they must have taken the next left and went straight. The tarmac also is in good condition and must have been in some good speed. And it was literally a dead end a few metres ahead.

Midnight, rains, wrong way, all this must have caused a panic and in a hurry to get back on track didn't realize the danger ahead. Another reason could be mistaking the river as a water body because the road was in a good condition and no signs of end. Poor visibility due to night and rain added to the confusion.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-gothuruth.png

The road leading to the dead end:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-goth1.png

Extremely sad and RIP.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd October 2023 at 18:03.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:16   #39104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The accident spot is a proper river and there is no reason that gmap would put someone over it. In first place, gmap would route through the NH66 for a trip from Kochi to Kodungaloor, which is what the group was doing. So either they by mistakenly took the right instead of the sharp left or there is some unknown reason that they took that route. And probably after realising that they took the wrong turn they must have taken the next left and went straight.
Based on what I heard on local TV reporting, the group was coming from the direction marked "Kadalvathuruth road" in your map (from Paris men's beauty parlour side). They were to have taken the left turn to the Link Road and merge back into NH 66 as per Google Maps driving directions, which they couldn't manage due to rain/visibility issues. Instead they went straight ahead and completely missed the end of the road / beginning of the river.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:52   #39105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Based on what I heard on local TV reporting, the group was coming from the direction marked "Kadalvathuruth road" in your map (from Paris men's beauty parlour side). They were to have taken the left turn to the Link Road and merge back into NH 66 as per Google Maps driving directions, which they couldn't manage due to rain/visibility issues. Instead they went straight ahead and completely missed the end of the road / beginning of the river.
Yes, this seems to be the case. The Gothuruth route is a (lesser known) detour to avoid the narrow stretch on NH66 between N. Paravur and Kodungallur. I take this route often and I have never seen GMaps routing through this detour. And the left turn they missed is a sharp turn and doesn't look like the main road, as the straight road continues with the same width and lane markings.

A sad event that could have been prevented by proper signage and barricades. A steel barricade was installed right after the car was pulled out
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks