Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2023, 21:13   #39046

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
This happened in the heart of trivandrum City. Reinforces my belief that 0 star cars are not suitable for any sort of use, unlike the popular point of view here that they are fine for City use.
I passed by the accident site today before 8 a.m. Police were still doing their inquest and traffic was being controlled. From what I heard from the shopkeepers and delivery boys, the accident happened after midnight. The eon was parked to the side of the road and was rear ended at high speed by the Innova. There was a scooter as well with front damage.(It might have been removed later). The shopkeeper was saying the car was driven by a drunk guy and was going way above the speed limit. The road is divided 2 lane with a fairly straight section just before the accident site. After 10, the traffic lights are turned off and roads are mostly deserted after 11. So I find the over speeding part believable. This same thread has examples of cars like Seltos getting destroyed when rear ending poles. Why do you think a small car would survive a rear ending accident like this?
pixeleefied is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 22:07   #39047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeleefied View Post
Why do you think a small car would survive a rear ending accident like this?
In 2009 I was rear ended by a speeding KSRTC superfast while in a small car at such speed that I was pushed forward for a few meters as it came to rest, and came out with minimal injuries to both the car and passengers. You will be glad to know that both car and owner are both still doing fine
Pix Here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post1424936 (Tata Indica DLG Turbo. EDIT: 15 years & 114k km up)

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th September 2023 at 22:12.
greenhorn is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 09:08   #39048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Reinforces my belief that 0 star cars are not suitable for any sort of use, unlike the popular point of view here that they are fine for City use.
This used to be an eon.
I do not think there is any crash testing done from rear to determine the vehicle safety rating. All vehicles will behave differently when hit from rear.
The worst affected will be the hatchbacks and the 7 seaters with last rows closer to the tailgate.
Then next better ones are 5 seater vehicles with sufficient space (length) for luggage.
Sedans fare the best as the boot absorbs the impact before it reaches the last row of seats.
DevD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 10:07   #39049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
An electric bus got rear ended and caught fire in Chennai near Poonamallee. Luckily all passengers got down.
In the video, we can see other vehicles, passing nearby this burning bus. Can't the authorities stop the traffic until they put out the blaze.
Arun_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 10:55   #39050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Reason for posting this is to make people aware what someone else’s fault can do to you. I hope to encourage people to buy Safe cars which have a good NCAP score or atleast good passive safety features. Our car took all the impact and saved us.

One thing that we have now learnt and adopted is wearing seat belts even in the rear.
I'm really glad to know that you and your family are okay after that scary experience. Your detailed story reminds us how important it is to be safe on the road. It also shows that it's a good idea to choose cars that have strong safety features and good safety ratings in tests.

I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy on all your future trips.
raptor_diwan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 11:18   #39051
BHPian

Quote:
Reason for posting this is to make people aware what someone else’s fault can do to you. I hope to encourage people to buy Safe cars which have a good NCAP score or atleast good passive safety features. Our car took all the impact and saved us.
This reaffirms my faith in Toyota vehicles and I presume the latest ones carry the same reliability and safety that the older gen vehicles did. Recently I travelled to Kodaikanal with family and we hired an Innova with a driver rather than taking a low cost self driven vehicle, typically a Maruti or a Hyundai. I am glad we took that decision.

I purchased a Hyundai Verna recently. I was hopeful that Hyundai has taken measures to fix the safety aspect of their vehicles and would pass the crash tests soon. Alas, that hasn't happened and probably wont. Now I am thinking whether I should dispose it in a year and move to a 2nd hand Toyota (non-Maruti version) somehow. VAGs, Tatas and Mahindras are safe too but I doubt the reliability of these vehicles. Nightmare stories of VAG customers prevented me from going for the Virtus. I don't think any brand other than Toyota gives a total Peace of Mind experience. Safe, reliable, comfortable, efficient vehicles.
cityslicker86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 11:53   #39052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I'm really glad to know that you and your family are okay after that scary experience. Your detailed story reminds us how important it is to be safe on the road. It also shows that it's a good idea to choose cars that have strong safety features and good safety ratings in tests.

I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy on all your future trips.
Thank you for your wishes. Experiencing this at a quite young age (23) has made me realise how unpredictable it can be on Indian Roads. I initially was skeptical if I would be able to be behind the wheel again but I thankfully faced no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
I purchased a Hyundai Verna recently. I was hopeful that Hyundai has taken measures to fix the safety aspect of their vehicles and would pass the crash tests soon. Alas, that hasn't happened and probably wont. Now I am thinking whether I should dispose it in a year and move to a 2nd hand Toyota (non-Maruti version) somehow. VAGs, Tatas and Mahindras are safe too but I doubt the reliability of these vehicles. Nightmare stories of VAG customers prevented me from going for the Virtus. I don't think any brand other than Toyota gives a total Peace of Mind experience. Safe, reliable, comfortable, efficient vehicles.
Ironically we bought a (Maruti) Toyota Hyryder. Our yearly mileage is ~35000km so reliabality is always a paramount and thus chose to again stick with Toyota. No NCAP ratings but hopefully the 6 airbags in it will never be needed to deflate. No offence to fellow Hyundai owners but the Creta post this accident was ruled out even though the Diesel torque was very tempting.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 22:01   #39053
BHPian

Just came across this on Twitter.

'Rajesh Mishra, a UP's Kanpur resident, gifted Mahindra Scorpio to his son Apoorv Mishra. On 14 January 2022, Apoorv returning to Kanpur from Lucknow in Scorpio met with an accident and died. He was wearing the seat belt but the airbag didn't open. Rajesh Mishra alleged he found out that there was no airbag installed in the vehicle. Mishra moved a local court and now an FIR has been registered against Mahindra Chairman Anand Gopal Mahindra and 12 others.'

https://twitter.com/benarasiyaa/stat...RTIE27HYvz_8IQ

From reading the FIR, it seems to be an allegation that there are no airbags installed in the car, and it needs to be technically looked into. But airbags not opening in a Scorpio is spookily similar to a some other Mahindra car airbag issues I've read here on the forum.

Last edited by Evyas : 25th September 2023 at 22:06.
Evyas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 22:06   #39054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Bus fishtails in wet road, knocks car off the road to a ditch.
Oh god. Some stupid insta pages will put a hero's bgm and elevate the bus driver's drifting skill
Shan_Kmu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 22:08   #39055
RDS
BHPian

When I was thinking of buying a Jimny, here is a new accident that resulted in death of 1 person.

Seems Jimny might be safe for frontal impacts but the A-Pillars cannot take the hit!

RDS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 23:38   #39056
BHPian

Quote:
Our yearly mileage is ~35000km so reliabality is always a paramount and thus chose to again stick with Toyota. No NCAP ratings but hopefully the 6 airbags in it will never be needed to deflate. No offence to fellow Hyundai owners but the Creta post this accident was ruled out even though the Diesel torque was very tempting.
Glad to know that you and your family came out safe and sound from the accident.

Aside, I believe you know that the Hyryder is nothing but a re-badged Maruti Grand Vitara and nothing close to the 'real' Toyota cars. Agreed that it has 6 airbags and the works but at the end of the the day it isn't tested by an independent body and like I mentioned, it's just a re-badged Maruti.

On a side note, not sure even if the Innova was ever tested.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 00:29   #39057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Aside, I believe you know that the Hyryder is nothing but a re-badged Maruti Grand Vitara and nothing close to the 'real' Toyota cars. Agreed that it has 6 airbags and the works but at the end of the the day it isn't tested by an independent body and like I mentioned, it's just a re-badged Maruti.

On a side note, not sure even if the Innova was ever tested.
I am very well aware of it.

Quoting myself
Quote:
Ironically we bought a (Maruti) Toyota Hyryder. Our yearly mileage is ~35000km so reliabality is always a paramount and thus chose to again stick with Toyota.
This would be slightly OT but to keep it simple, we were only considering a SUV/CSUV. Not comfortable with the preowned route. We had ruled out Hyundai and Kia as mentioned earlier. VAG cars were not even considered due to reliability issues and we don't want our car getting stuck in workshop as this will be the sole car in the house. And most importantly the waiting times are crazy these days. We got this car after 3 Months of Booking! Lastly, I don't get to take financial decisions at home.

Innova probably wasn't tested ever but it took the impact very well considering it got hit by a 20 Tonne Trailer travelling at ~40kmph.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 00:43   #39058
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-384210135_10159644855942727_4792297700217768821_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-382994743_10159644855927727_6637489702227874825_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-383076356_10159644855967727_3063255895441742881_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-383009758_10159644856002727_4117180820546680369_n.jpg

Saw this on a Facebook group. This is a little bit of a shocker, if proven true, the car didn't have airbags in the car, going forward do we ask the dealers to show us the airbags during PDI?

This is seriously worrying.
Shitij is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 02:31   #39059
BHPian

The missing airbags sounds dubious considering the ECU should have had a warning otherwise surely? It is not impossible but sounds less probable in modern cars.

The airbags not deploying could be a very valid issue and there are couple of alleged instances of the same with Mahindra's latest gen cars I have read about in the last few months.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 26th September 2023 at 02:34.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 08:16   #39060
BHPian

Just came across the below in today morning's Times of India.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230926_075655.jpg

Increasingly in addition to being mindful of drivers in lanes on your side of a demarcated highway like this one, we might have to start watching incoming traffic to the extent possible. Wonder what speed the Fortuner must have been at to jump the median and snuff out three lives who probably had very little chance to react.

If actually six more cars rear-ended the Santro then maybe they were not maintaining enough distance to stop safely.

With scant details, I'm likely making assumptions here, but the number of lives impacted due to one driver's speeding for whatever reason is very unfortunate.

The joy of driving on well done roads needs to be tempered with good sense which will come only with better education, awareness and stringent rule enforcement.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks