Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 11:04   #39196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The smoke is likely due to limited leg room for the driver in such a vehicle, especially during a collision where he may have held on to the brake but the impact resulting in twisting of his ankle in the footwell area and thus pressing the accelerator too. Notice that the brake light (LHS) remains lit pretty much during and after the impact too.
There is a two-wheeler next to the broken-down car. I think that also has a role to play in the accident. Maybe if the two-wheeler had not stopped parallel to the broken-down car, the trailing Etios would have enough room to cross the car and go ahead. This may not have caused the further trailing Dzire and Baleno to panic brake leading to the chain collision between the Tata Aces

I have observed that on highways, many two wheelers do not have the idea of consequences of stopping and occupying lanes on a fast-moving highway.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 20th October 2023 at 11:05.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:36   #39197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened on yesterday.
Its a clear October day. No fog, no rain. This is the elevated corridor leading to Devanahalli I think, so speeds are under 80, the dashcam speedo confirms.

There is atleast one vehicle stationary and yet you see overtakes from that lane. Pretty much all vehicles including the second van had visibility of the stationary vehicles ahead and yet went at speeds and rear ended.

Such characters are trained in NICE school of shoulder overtaking and no amount of warning triangle or begging will deter them. Probably a big fat repair bill/insurance premium will.
narayans80 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:20   #39198
Distinguished - BHPian

A gory incident that happened around 9.30 pm on Wednesday, 18.10.23, near Ballarpur, in Central India. A young pregnant lady with her 4 year old kid was riding her scooter. It so happened that the tiny tot demanded ice cream and the lady was moving to the icecream outlet at night. As they both were driving near the Wardha River Bridge, off Ballarpur, the scooter fell on the river bed some 40 feet below. The pregnant lady died, and the kid sat near her mother's lifeless body through the night. It was only after her husband reported the matter to the police that at around 4.00 am, the crying child's shrieks were heard from the road above the bridge. The police after reaching the river bed found the lifeless body of the pregnant lady, the tiny tot crying and the scooter lying beside.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20231020.jpeg

It's another horror story in real life.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th October 2023 at 12:22.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:15   #39199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Spot on. Frame by frame, the video shows the 2nd Tempo caught the stop way too late and then pressed the Gas Pedal instead of Brake.

Also, the Plume of Black Diesel soot filled smoke gives it away.
Classic case of not paying attention to what's going on in front of you. Thankfully the idiot tempo guy hit another tempo with all that force. If it was a hatchback like Swift or i10 etc this could have turned into a really bad hit.
Old 20th October 2023, 14:48   #39200
BHPian

Quote:
This happened on yesterday.
Many commercial vehicles in Bengaluru as well as a lot of two wheelers are nowadays sporting decorative colorful bright blinking LED lights at the rear of the vehicles (as we can see with the Tata Ace which rear ended another similar vehicle). Often the driver following such vehicles which are lit like Christmas trees cant distinguish between an indicator lamp and these decorative LED lights or a brake warning light for that matter and effectively such LEDs negate the very purpose of having turn indicators or brake lamps.

I have see so many bikers with both indicators wired to be in "flash" mode and permanently on zooming around town.

Surprisingly the Govt authorities (traffic police / RTO) are least bothered with this dangerous phenomenon and prefer to focus on silly things like mandating HSRP plates in the city.
Rajeev1 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 22:57   #39201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A gory incident that happened around 9.30 pm on Wednesday, 18.10.23, near Ballarpur, in Central India.
It's another horror story in real life.
The Times of India link of the above news:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../104560615.cms
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 09:30   #39202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post

As per reports, out of the 5, 1 woman has died and the other 4 are seriously
This is so disheartening and sad part is it happens almost on daily basis in our country. News articles say that the man driving Eon walked into police station but can't be arrested as law doesn't permit it. Can somebody please provide some insight into the finer aspects of law in such cases. I mean one life lost, her family and friends as well as the other four women will have to live for the rest of their lives with some kind of trauma. Case against the driver is registered as causing death due to negligence. Why the maximum punishment is only 7 years in such cases? Is there a way when road accidents like this can be categorised as murder/man slaughter. Also the news article says that police is seeking more information from RTO and looking at multiple angles. What is the information that RTO can provide in such cases and what are the various possible angles that police is investigating.
SamDiablo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:45   #39203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
Is there a way when road accidents like this can be categorised as murder/man slaughter.
How much ever distressing the accident can be, a case of murder/manslaughter cannot be registered because we, the public, deem it so. It remains death due to negligence or in other cases, under influence.

It can be murder only if it was premeditated. Way back in the 80s, a friend's mother learning to drive, accidentally hit an old lady who succumbed to her injuries. She was so traumatized by the incident that she didn't leave her room for more than a month.

My brother was involved in an accident when a guy on a two-wheeler rammed into his car from behind a tractor on the opposite side of a single lane village road, two decades ago. The victim hit his head on the windshield and died on the spot. My brother surrendered at the police station. Investigation revealed that the victim was drunk. My brother had to attend court multiple times before he was adjudged not guilty.

Trauma exists on both sides of the story. Some cases are plain stupidity. Some are ignorant mistakes or grave errors in judgment. We watch and share these incidents here to learn from them and also be more responsible. Loss of life or limb is always tragic.
discoverwild is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:12   #39204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As they both were driving near the Wardha River Bridge, off Ballarpur, the scooter fell on the river bed some 40 feet below.
How did they fall off the bridge? Are there no railings? Read through the reports, no where it gives a clue of what must have happened.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:35   #39205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How did they fall off the bridge? Are there no railings? Read through the reports, no where it gives a clue of what must have happened.
From google maps, there are no railings. The road has too many potholes, some aggressive driver would have pushed them to the edge.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20231022_113244_maps.jpg

Last edited by SKC-auto : 22nd October 2023 at 11:40.
SKC-auto is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 19:42   #39206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
From google maps, there are no railings.
This is height of negligence.

Vehicles are doing ramp walk here.

I have seen Models falling down ramps while just walking.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:51   #39207
Senior - BHPian

This bridge has been in similar condition for last 30 years, it is due for a replacement with a new bridge. Somehow things have not moved so far, my maternal uncle (Ex-MLA) tried to get new bridge sanctioned, but nothing much happened. Although he was able to get a ROB few kms from this bridge. During monsoons overflowing river is common thus cutting connectivity for days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 09:47. Reason: Formatting.
Old 23rd October 2023, 18:39   #39208
BHPian

Maruti is processing the claim without FIR. Even though it wasn't my fault I took off because people were gathering and my family was with me.
Should I still log an FIR? The bike guy walked away. Any other suggestions wait be appreciated.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2023 at 20:09. Reason: Removed video link as it's no longer available
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:09   #39209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek8421 View Post
Even though it wasn't my fault...
Not too sure about that. You entered that construction zone at ~80 kmph. At the point where the road width was least (drums on one side, equipment on the other) you were still doing 60 kmph. There was no space for you to maneuvre, so prudence says that you should have been much slower.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:38   #39210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not too sure about that. You entered that construction zone at ~80 kmph. At the point where the road width was least (drums on one side, equipment on the other) you were still doing 60 kmph. There was no space for you to maneuvre, so prudence says that you should have been much slower.
Yes I could have slowed down further. I won't be filing an FIR.
Shrek8421 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks